What was your greatest cooking achievement of 2010?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mel!

Sous Chef
Mine was, I discovered that making gnocchi is easy. Im glad I took the leap of trying it out. :chef:

GREATLY decreasing my use of processed foods. Not a food snob, but just realizing how much better things taste without all of the chemicals.

Making my first batch of pistacho and cranberry biscotti's about 9 years ago. They were trendy back then and I could not believe they were this easy to make.

I loved it when my husband savored it with his coffee and declared they were better than the expensive ones he bought from starbucks and my co-workers could not believe I baked them and asked me to bake more.

Sorry you asked 2010, this is old and a simple thing but still remains my biggest achievement.

Learned to make pork tamales, dolmades, baklava and risotto in an electric pressure cooker... Hmm... that would make an interesting menu... :stuart:

Shrek says, "There was that ettouffe' you made or that..." I think, he thinks, me just cooking anything is stellar.

I think mine is making pancakes from scratch. Never had them come out well before so always bought a mix. Then I found Goodweed's recipe. Haven't bought a mix since.

I think my best cooking achievement was joining Discuss Cooking in 2010. I've always been what most people call a good cook, but this place has opened up a daily new world of cooking ideas. It's become a source of creativity that had become somewhat dull over the years. My daily cooking, and discussion of cooking, has become really fun again thanks to all the regulars here. Yep, without a doubt, my best cooking achievement this year has been finding all of you.:D

I think my best cooking achievement was joining Discuss Cooking in 2010. I've always been what most people call a good cook, but this place has opened up a daily new world of cooking ideas. It's become a source of creativity that had become somewhat dull over the years. My daily cooking, and discussion of cooking, has become really fun again thanks to all the regulars here. Yep, without a doubt, my best cooking achievement this year has been finding all of you.:D

I agree. I had joined DC in 2008, but ended up taking care of another alzheimer's lady and then life took a nasty turn for awhile. I found DC again several months ago and was surprised to find I was already a member. Since then, it's been like you said KL. I had gotten tired of my same old same old dishes, and things have gotten a lot more interesting since I got involved with this wonderful group of people.

Everyone seems to love my potato salad and rump roast with gravy - nothing hard or special to me, but that's what is usually requested for dinners and picnics. When my kids were little they used to tell me I should package the potato salad and sell it, it was that good. Love my family.

It's hard to pick the greatest, because there were quite a few achievements/learning experiences.

I think my greatest achievement, overall, was finally allowing myself to go with my gut (pun not intended) on dishes even if some people were telling me otherwise. It resulted in some pretty killer Xmas roasts, sides and desserts. I don't need more proof than that to know there must be something right in my instincts.

Yeah I know how corny that must have sounded, I couldn't help but feel a little proud with myself for it though :blush:.

I've had a lot of changes this year: More focus on buying local, really considering what goes into the foods I make. Also, the branching out I've tried via the things I've learned through TCU. (Yes, I know many probably think it is the silliest thing ever, but I've had a blast with the classes.)

I think my greatest achievement this year was evoking my grandparent's memories through my attempts at wine-making and canning. I've loved sharing the wine and the preserves turned out decently enough even though they could be improved.

Also, just sharing more ideas with this group. 2010 was a very nice year.

Back
Top Bottom