What would you bring back?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

velochic

Sous Chef
Gosh, haven't been on here for a while. I'm on deadlines these days at work, so time is limited.

Anyway, we're headed to Italy shortly. It's been 5 years since I've been there. I'm trying to make a list of things to bring back and feel like I'm not thinking of everything.

What would you make space for in your luggage? I know you can get so much from amazon, but this is like free shipping and local prices. ;)

I'm thinking you S.O. would like to see an Italian version of the little black dress in your suitcase.:LOL:

But seriously, you can get olive oil, truffles, and all of the other food items listed by searching for vendors online. Find something unique, that you can't easily find online, or in specialty shops. Maybe there's a spice that can't be had anywhere else, or a technique for making something that you really love. Knowledge is far more precious than are things. Things go away too fast. But if you learn to make some new recipe, or find unique jewelry, something that lasts, you will be able to treasure it for a lifetime.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Unfortunately, prosciutto is prohibited, as are all meats.
Think twice before stuffing your suitcase with prosciutto - USATODAY.com

Geez that was a confusing article ... if you can't bring fresh meat in, why is fresh meat from New Zealand okay? Why is prosciutto proscribed but not kangaroo jerky? (Our stimulus money was evidently not spent on clarifying U.S. customs regulations). :cool:

While living overseas, I once brought a water pipe back without realizing that this is considered drug paraphernalia. I made it through customs without any problems ... but a much younger colleague who was on another flight had his water pipe confiscated.

Go figure ...

I had my BIL bring me back some Parm Reg. and I have to say it was better than any I have had here in the states.I know we import it directly from there but the wedge I got was aged differently and it was great!
More grainy or crystalized.

A Lamborghini would be first choice!
A Italian grandma second.
Some art glass from Milan.
Pottery is everywhere.I got a nice S&P set too from BIL.
(most places will ship the pottery too)
Nougat candies
A iron for fried batter treats called "Lies" if I can remember.
Leather goods

You could bring ME back if you take ME with YOU!

Thanks all for the suggestions. I've already brought back "souvenirs" from past trips, and I'm not into clutter around the house, so I like to bring back consumables. I always bring back a goodly amount of tube pastes (tomato, sundried tomato, garlic, good anchovy, etc.). I'll probably bring home a nice bottle of olive oil and wine. We also love amaretti cookies that we can't find in our stores where we live (and have to get online). I'll bring home some good espresso and they also tend to have some interesting jams that I can't remember now, but had brought back before. Please keep the suggestions coming! I'm sure I'll slap my forehead when I get home and think of something I "shoulda" bought. I have a list of stationery items that I'll be bringing back, too, including some nice leather-bound x-mas gifts for friends and family.

Vintage Barbarello, fine wine from Tuscany. If I could get away with it I'd get 10 cases shipped back and hide it from my family of guzzlers. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom