"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-20-2006, 11:14 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Deep fried pizzas have been a staple item on the menu of fish n chip shops in Scotland for more years than I care to remember. However, eating them would be a step too far in heart attack direction for anyone!

You take

One really cheap grade pizza - smear of tomato paste, coupla strands of low grade cheddar cheese - usually frozen variety. You fold in half. You dip in the batter that has previously had the fish dunked in it.... you immediately drop it into the vat of hot oil... 3 mins later: a heart attack waiting to happen!!!!

Scotland also takes the crown for inventing the deep fried Mars Bar. It was heralded as the balanced meal... a deep fried pizza for main course, followed by a deep fried pudding. YUK!

Old 02-20-2006, 03:21 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Oh believe me, you really do not want to try a deep fried pizza. Last time I visited Scotland we were in some take-away joint on our way from cold place to colder place and I ordered a pizza. What I got was this...thing...this deep fried pizza.

I think I cried hot tears of pain. I was 10 (I think it was the gourmet that was hidden deep inside me even back then that made me cry).

Funnily enough thats the last time I ever went back to Scotland.

Old 02-20-2006, 04:21 PM   #13
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
So.... is that all there is to beer batter? Beer, flour, and salt like it said in that article? My g/f loves beer-battered shrimp but I always assumed the batter would be more complicated....
Old 02-20-2006, 05:11 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Just make sure the beer is ice cold before adding it to the flour (same applies when you use sparkling/mineral water to make a batter).
Old 02-20-2006, 05:53 PM   #15
Master Chef

For those of you who know what a pastie is, we have an altered kind of patie thing around here called Pizza Paste, and it is fabulous. It's like a giant calsone, but filled with your favorite pizza toppings. I always order mine with extra sauce. The down side, you're basically eating a whole, medium pizza by yourself.

We can get it filled with the traditional toppings, with a mexican themed variation, or with BLT ingredients, minus the lettuce of course. We can get Greek toppings, sicillian toppings, etc.

All I can say is that it is so wonderfully juicy and with intense flavor, and all encased in a very good crust.

What more could a guy ask for especially when you figure that I just can't stomach the taste of alcohol? maybe a great buttersctoch shake to go with it?

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:39 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis
Oh believe me, you really do not want to try a deep fried pizza. Last time I visited Scotland we were in some take-away joint on our way from cold place to colder place and I ordered a pizza. What I got was this...thing...this deep fried pizza.

I think I cried hot tears of pain. I was 10 (I think it was the gourmet that was hidden deep inside me even back then that made me cry).

Funnily enough thats the last time I ever went back to Scotland.
I feel your pain!

There is a chip shop on the Royal Mile that has a sign in the window (obviously aimed at tourists!) which says 'YES, we really DO deep-fry Mars Bars'...!! I've seen queues of tourists standing waiting their turn to photograph the sign, just to prove that we really DO have bad diet items on regular sale.... there was no need for MacDonalds to start up in Scotland, we can kill ourselves with fatty foods!
(And this is where I protest by saying that I do not know of anyone who buys or eats those things! - and to confess I have deep fried Mars Bars for rellies from overseas who were surprised by the sign and wanted to try the MBars. I explained that I really couldn't replicate the slightly 'fishy' taste that the chippy's deep fat fryers imparted to the choc bars!)
Old 02-20-2006, 09:39 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
I feel your pain!

There is a chip shop on the Royal Mile that has a sign in the window (obviously aimed at tourists!) which says 'YES, we really DO deep-fry Mars Bars'...!! I've seen queues of tourists standing waiting their turn to photograph the sign, just to prove that we really DO have bad diet items on regular sale.... there was no need for MacDonalds to start up in Scotland, we can kill ourselves with fatty foods!
(And this is where I protest by saying that I do not know of anyone who buys or eats those things! - and to confess I have deep fried Mars Bars for rellies from overseas who were surprised by the sign and wanted to try the MBars. I explained that I really couldn't replicate the slightly 'fishy' taste that the chippy's deep fat fryers imparted to the choc bars!)
LOL, every once in a while, we will go to the Chestnut Festival in Evansville IN. They always advertise the deep fried twinkies and fried snickers (i think it is snickers). I had always heard they were really good and I just had to HAVE one. I'm not much on a lot of fried foods anyway, but I just had to try it since everyone else was. I wasn't that terribly impressed, plus I couldn't imagine it tasting fishy also. Everything in that place is deep fried I think. We always walk away from there feeling like we need to diet for at least a week to make up for it.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:52 PM   #18
Executive Chef

It's missing something! I know - serve it with deep fried oreos and deep fried twinkies.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:43 AM   #19
Contest Winner

I had deep fried pickles at a carnival once... it was actually pretty yummy. (they use giant dill pickles, batter them and put them on a stick, like a corndog)
Old 02-21-2006, 03:43 AM   #20
Sous Chef

Hey Ishbel are those Mars bar poppers (drink cartons? I forget what they are called in the UK) still around? I swear I lived off them when I was over there...that and Ribena, but Ribena I can get here.

Could definitely go some tablet, some highland toffee (the brand with the coo on it) and an Irn-Bru bar-and-or-drink. I've already got the tinned haggis sitting in the pantry for an upcoming winter artery-clogging dinner.