What's in your tuna?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Dove

Senior Cook
I had was craving tuna sandwiches yesterday. Prepared them how I always do but it made me want to drop a post here about what other people put in their tuna.

Most of the ingredients are "to taste" and depend on how crunchy I want it to be.

canned tuna fish (in water for me)
diced yellow onion
diced celery
relish (sometimes dill and sometimes sweet, both are good)
pepper (generous amounts for me)
salt (less salt when using dill relish)
parsley (occasionally when in the mood)

Mines the same except that I use dill and sweet pickles instead of relish.

uck! no relish in mine please. :chef:

i like just plain mayo and finely diced celery in the tuna, on either a plain bagel or multigrain toast. my usual from a deli at work is tuna/celery/mayo on an italian sesame hero with lots of raw onions.
occasionally, i'll put pickled hot peppers on it, or frank's red hot sauce.

I sometimes mix these ingredients up depending on how I want it to taste

onion
sometimes celery
lemon pepper or lemon juice and pepper
oregano
a dash of sugar
mayo
sweet relish
boiled egg
sometimes I will crush some fritos on top or put them in with the sandwich

I like the traditional tuna salad with mayo, etc, but sometimes I like tuna on toasted bread, in a sandwich and this is what I put in the tuna.

a little oil (to which I added 1/2 tsp mustard)
chopped garlic
salt
pepper
black olives (when I have some!)

I love this sandwich! Mmmm.

Sara

I like pretty much the same as you Mr. Dove except no relish and I add egg - apples and walnuts if I have them. Sometimes a squeeze of lemon or lime brightens up the flavors too.

Nobody likes to put potato chips on their tuna sandwiches? GASP!!! Tuna, mayo, mustard, tomato and a stack of potato chips. :) Ummmmmmm now I want one.

IcyMist, I posted that I liked fritos, but I also have been known to put baked ruffles. Now that I think about it, I think next time I will try pringles, I bet they would be good also.

:) Mine is tuna,onions,dill relish,mayo,salt and pepper if I go further I add celery and boiled egg I some times grill them on the george foreman with swiss on dark rye.
I think tuna salad is a really personal taste Im reluctant to eat it at a deli or restaurant

Last edited:
My tuna fish sandwich consists of tuna, mayonnaise, lots of onion, celery, pepper, dill, celery seed (I like the extra celery flavor), and sweet pickle relish all on whole wheat bread lightly spread with mayo and with iceberg lettuce.

Sometimes I will make tuna and eat it on crackers or crostini instead of the bread.

Tuna, diced carrots, celery, sweet onion, and chopped pecans with Duke's or Blue Plate mayo. Leftover grilled tuna makes the BEST tuna salad!

drained or vacuum-sealed tuna, real mayo, a little white vinegar, diced celery, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, and that's it!
i like it on really soft white bread or toast with lettuce.

I like my tuna with just a dash of mayo on toasted grain bread.

If I'm feeling really wild I'll leave it open faced and melt a slice of cheese on top of it beneath the broiler.

:heart:
Z

Oooh, AWESOME THREAD!!!!

Here's my tuna sammich recipe!!!!

I drain off 2 cans of water-packed tuna and then fluff it in my favorite OXO mixing bowl that has a rubber nonskid coating on the outside. (I LOVE that bowl!) I dice 3 or 4 hard boiled eggs and add them to the tuna. I then small dice 1 entire rib of celery, the leafy top included. Ya know those sandwich stacker kosher pickle slices? I take the equivalent of an entire deli pickle (about 5 slices) and dice them small. (The same small dice as the celery.) The pickles get added to the mix and then I plop on a spoon or 2 of Hellmann's mayo. I fluff it till I get the right consistency. Sometimes I need a bit more mayo but too much mayo is yucky. You can always add, but you can't take it away. I then season with onion powder, salt and lots of fresh cracked pepper.

My favorite way to eat that entire bowl in one sitting? Scooped up on Wheat Thins.

Oh yeah baby. I am sooooo tempted to go to my grocery store right now! It's 12:48 AM!!!!

RJ

All of the above sound good to me. I use Genova brand tuna packed in olive oil, and sometimes add water chestnuts.

I don't particularly like tuna, but according to my daughter and all her friends at school (who share her sandwiches), I make the best tuna sandwich! Very simply:

Tuna (pouch preferably, and in water, not oil),
Good squirt of Heinz 'Salad Cream' (It's British, and it's more tangy & less creamy than mayo).
Splash of Malt Vinegar
Plenty of freshly ground black pepper.

Paint.

Not really a sandwich in the traditional sense, but a hit whenver we serve it. It's more of an appetizer than it is a sandwich. Make sure you have a sharp knife.

"Tuna Sandwich" with Won Ton Pi and Osetra Caviar

Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients:

1 lb. #2 Grade Ahi, cut into 1/8-1/4" dice
4 Tbsp. Mayonnaise
1 tsp. Wasabi Paste
2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Juice from 1/2 a fresh Lemon
1 Tbsp. Capers, rinsed and patted dry
2 Tbsp. Scallion, finely diced
2 Tbsp. Chervil, minced
1 Shallot, finely diced
1/2 Jalapeno or Serrano chile, seeds and veins removed and finely diced
Kosher Salt to taste
16 Fresh WonTon Pi, cut in half to make triangles
Canola Oil/Frying Oil for deep frying
1 tsp. White Sesame Seeds
1 tsp. Black Sesame Seeds
4 oz. Osetra Caviar (optional)

Method:

In a non-reactive mixing bowl, combine the mayo, oil, lemon, and wasabi. Whisk together until it's well incorporated and reserve in the fridge. In a seperate bowl, combine the capers, scallion, chervil, shallots, and chile. Reserve in the fridge. Place the Ahi in the freezer, and let sit for 15-20 minutes until it is firm. Place a cutting board in the freezer or fridge as well. Using the chilled cutting board and a VERY sharp knife, dice the Ahi. Combine with the mayo mixture, and fold together until the Ahi is lightly coated. Add the caper mixture, and fold together until everything is lightly coated. Season to taste with Kosher salt, cover with plastic wrap, and reserve in the fridge, but do not prepare more than 2-3 hours before serving. Heat frying oil to 350-365 degrees. Carefully add the Won Ton Pi and cook until a light-medium golden brown. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels, and lightly season with kosher salt. To serve, evenly distribute the Ahi mixture onto the crispy Won Ton. Combine the white and black sesame seeds, and lightly sprinkle over the Ahi. Place a tiny dollop of caviar on top of the mixture, and serve immediately.

Back
Top Bottom