What's Missing?-Bean Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnnieDrews

Senior Cook
I made this bean salad recipe this weekend. I wanted to try it as it looked good and will fit in with my healthy eating plan. I followed the recipe exactly and something is missing. I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is.....but I want something added, I just cannot put my finger on it. Just seemed a little blah and that something was missing.

Alfresco Bean Salad Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes

I'm thinking more salt or maybe a splash of cider vinegar might liven it up some. I want to try to keep it healthy, too.

Just had an idea while typing this. Maybe add some chopped cucumber or blanched asparagus??

If anyone has input I would appreciate hearing it!! Thanks!

Last edited:
P.S. I also used bottled lime juice (I know, horrors!!). It may have helped to use fresh lime juice??

I agree. Needs some vinegar. Fresh lime juice would have made it better but the vinegar is what's missing.

The lime juice is intended to replace the vinegar in this recipe. I'd back off on the lime juice if you use vinegar.

I made this bean salad recipe this weekend. I wanted to try it as it looked good and will fit in with my healthy eating plan. I followed the recipe exactly and something is missing. I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is.....but I want something added, I just cannot put my finger on it. Just seemed a little blah and that something was missing.

Alfresco Bean Salad Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes

I'm thinking more salt or maybe a splash of cider vinegar might liven it up some. I want to try to keep it healthy, too.

Just had an idea while typing this. Maybe add some chopped cucumber or blanched asparagus??

If anyone has input I would appreciate hearing it!! Thanks!

I would add some red wine vinegar and bell peppers.:chef:

I agree that it needs some red wine vinegar. Also, more seasoning, such as cumin powder, garlic powder, black pepper, maybe a little more salt. Also, some sliced black olives, extra sharp cheddar, and chopped cilantro would be some good additions.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the replies! I think I will print them off and add them to the recipe. It does call for cilantro and I even thought maybe it was a bit too much (and I LOVE cilantro). I could not taste the jalapeno that I put in.....but I don't like things too hot anyway. I think a vinegar and possibly some green pepper might be a good place to start. Maybe some garlic, too. I gave some to our neighbor and he added salsa like Goodweed mentioned and said it made a huge difference.

Thanks again everyone!

Thanks for all of the replies! I think I will print them off and add them to the recipe. It does call for cilantro and I even thought maybe it was a bit too much (and I LOVE cilantro). I could not taste the jalapeno that I put in.....but I don't like things too hot anyway. I think a vinegar and possibly some green pepper might be a good place to start. Maybe some garlic, too. I gave some to our neighbor and he added salsa like Goodweed mentioned and said it made a huge difference.

Thanks again everyone!

Ah, I missed the cilantro listing.

Looks like I'll have to try another batch, soon. If/when I do, I'll post what I do differently.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom