"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-11-2005, 12:57 AM   #11
Master Chef

thats ok.........sometimes my fingers do a little more than walking too.

Old 02-11-2005, 01:00 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
You could definitely do an Alfredo Sauce - heavy cream heated until it starts to foam up - add a hefty amount of garlic - let it cook and reduce - add some Parmesan, salt, white pepper - toss with some spaghetti.

Or - roasted the following - single layer each in their own section of a rimmed cookie sheet - drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Some take longer than others - when I do this I always roast them over the course of the day in different pans if I'm doing a lot.

Red and Yellow Peppers
Zucchini
Mushrooms (Button Type)
Cauliflower
Broccoli
shallots
garlic

Once everything is roasted toss with some cooked spaghetti that has been doused in a little more olive oil, kosher salt, and fresh parsley.

For your protein you can pound the chicken out VERY thin - like 1/8" - dredge lightly in salted and peppered flour - pan sauté until brown on each side - top each flattened out piece of chicken with some Parmesan cheese (I really like Gruyère or fontina but you didn't say you had any of that) - well - just make a variation of this recipe Lombardi Chicken

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 01:02 AM   #13
Cook

Hey Sizzle, with a shopping list like yours, you could pick just about any recipe on the site!
Old 02-11-2005, 01:04 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
You could definately do an Alfredo Sauce - heavy cream heated until it starts to foam up - add a hefty amount of garlic - let it cook and reduce - add some Parmesan, salt, white pepper - toss with some spaghetti.

Or - roasted the following - single layer each in their own section of a rimmed cookie sheet - drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Some take longer than others - when I do this I always roast them over the course of the day in different pans if I'm doing a lot.

Red and Yellow Peppers
Zucchini
Mushrooms (Button Type)
Cauliflower
Broccoli
shallots
garlic

Once everything is roasted toss with some cooked spaghetti that has been doused in a little more olive oil, kosher salt, and fresh parsley.
Roasted Vegetables always make things awesome!!!
Old 02-11-2005, 01:07 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes they do Erik!! I love them - shallots, turnips, broccoli, mushrooms, grape tomatoes - I love them all roasted!!!

I already changed my post - lol - I added a protein.

Old 02-11-2005, 01:08 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
While we are on the subject of Roasted Veggies...

Actually, this is the first dinner entree I learned to prepare in a professional kitchen, close to 16 years ago.

Blackened Catfish:

1 ounce salad oil
2 (5 to 8-ounce) catfish fillets
2 ounces cajun blackening seasoning

Heat a 12-inch cast iron skillet over high heat. When the skillet is hot, add the oil. Season both sides of each catfish fillet with the blackening seasoning and place in skillet. Cook fillets for 3-5 minutes on each side. Take off heat and place off to the side.

Ratatouille:

1 red bell pepper, lengthwise into 1-inch wide strips
2 baby eggplant, quartered lengthwise
3 baby zucchini, quartered lengthwise
2 plum tomatoes, quartered lengthwise and seeded
2 shallots, peeled and sliced lengthwise
Extra-virgin olive oil, to coat
Coarse salt, cracked black pepper, crushed garlic, and thyme, to taste

Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
Working on a cookie sheet, combine vegetables. Drizzle liberally with extra-virgin olive oil and season. Toss to coat vegetables evenly. Roast until just tender, 15 minutes. Transfer to the center of 2 plates. Plate Catfish on top and serve!!!
Old 02-11-2005, 01:17 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I love Ratatouille Erik!! Haven't made it in awhile - need to.

Old 02-11-2005, 01:23 AM   #18
Master Chef

Oh my gosh guys........I'm no chef but I think I can actually make something fantastic with your ideas. I'll let you now how it turns out.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:22 AM   #19
Master Chef

brine the chicken, pat dry, season, then set aside. put on a large pot of salted water and also a small pot of unsalted water. simmer the broccoli till bright green in small pot, drain, and run under cold water for a few minutes. when water in large pot boils, cook noodles as package directs.
put chicken on to broil or grill. meanwhile, slice zucchini and cut all three colors of peppers into chunks; mince a clove or two of garlic and slice some scallion bottoms. saute, along with broccoli, in olive oil till veggies are crisp-tender; season with salt and pepper. heat some extra virgin olive oil through with smashed garlic clove. toss veggies, hot, drained noodles, sliced chicken, and olive oil together. transfer to serving bowl or platter and grate parmesan over. serve w/ garlic-parsley toast.
OR
you could make Kluski (cabbage and noodles.)
boil your egg noodles, leaving slightly undercooked, by about 2 or 3 minutes. meanwhile, cut a large white onion into eights and seperate sections; cook till translucent in lots (about 1 stick) of (REAL!!!!) butter; add a head of knife-shredded cabbage and cook down. add drained noodles when they are done, season heavily with fresh-cracked black pepper and salt to taste. and cover and cook till cabbage is soft.
you can also use bacon fat and add some crisp bacon, crumbled, to the noodles. delicious w/ cold milk and a nice hunk of warm, buttered bread.
OR
mix boiled egg noodles, cooked, sliced grilled or broiled chicken, sauteed mushrooms and scallion bottoms, sour cream, a can of cream of mushroom soup, garlic, minced, salt and pepper, and grated colby cheese.
cover with extra colby, bake at 350 till cheese is brown around the edges.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:20 AM   #20
Master Chef

Thanks everyone for your wonderful ideas and help!