Whats something I can make with these ingredients

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
Ok.........I went way overboard at the store today. Planned on spending only 100.00 for the 2 weeks and ended up spending 200.00 :oops: . Never........I mean Never go to the store when your hungry because everything looks so darn good.
I did buy an abundance of fresh produce though. So here are some things I have that you may beable to tell me a recipe I can whip up. I was thinking something Italian. Small portion of what I brought home so if you don't see an ingredient you think I may need I probably bought it too ;)

Heavy Cream
Half & Half
Buttermilk
Parm. Cheese
Monteray Jack Cheese
Colby Cheese
Sour Cream
.........hee hee was kind of happy in the dairy section

Spagetti
Wide Egg Noodles
Elbow Macaroni

Green, Red, and Yellow Peppers
Yellow Squash
Zucchini
Mushrooms (Button Type)
Cauliflower
Broccoli
Cabbage
Shallots
Green Onions
Garlic
Fresh Parsley
......I was even happier in the produce section

Chicken Breasts

Pesto Chicken Parmesan

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 1/2 pounds)
4 slices Provolone cheese
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
1 egg
1/2 cup Italian-style breadcrumbs
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 cup pine nuts (optional)
2 tablespoons prepared pesto, divided
2 tablespoons parsley, divided
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons water

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Lay chicken breasts between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and pound to 1/2-inch thickness. Put flour in shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, whisk together egg, 1 tablespoon pesto and water. In third shallow bowl, combine breadcrumbs with 1 tablespoon parsley.

Dredge chicken in flour; dip in egg, turning to coat all sides. Then, dredge chicken in breadcrumbs.

In large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, warm olive oil. Sauté chicken until nicely browned on each side, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to shallow baking dish.

In medium bowl, whisk together tomato sauce, garlic and remaining pesto. Spoon sauce evenly over chicken breasts. Sprinkle each with Parmesan and pine nuts; top with slice of Provolone. Bake until chicken is cooked through and cheese is bubbling and browned, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining parsley and serve with pasta.

8 ounces pasta of choice, reserve 1/2 cup pasta cooking liquid
3/4 cup chicken stock
1 cup broccoli florets
1 cup thinly sliced carrots
1 cup thinly sliced yellow squash
1/2 cup frozen or fresh peas
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups diced plum tomatoes, including juices
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons each minced fresh parsley and basil
2 tablespoons chopped green onions
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Bring a large pot of salted water to boil, add pasta and cook until a little less than al dente, about 3 minutes. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid. In the same pot, combine the chicken stock and cooking liquid and simmer to reduce. In another large pot of boiling salted water, blanch the broccoli, carrots, yellow squash, peas and then plunge them in ice water to refresh. In a skillet, heat oil and add the tomatoes including their liquid and garlic and simmer for 3 minutes. Stir in parsley and basil. Add the cream to the simmering chicken stock. Then add the pasta to the simmering chicken stock mixture and toss to combine. Add the blanched vegetables and toss gently until just heated through. Transfer to a serving dish and top with tomato sauce, freshly ground black pepper, chopped green onion and Parmesan cheese.

Sounds delicious Erik.........I don't have some of the ingred. but have items I may be able to substitute.......what do you think:

Pasta.........use spagetti
Chicken Stock......used canned Chicken Broth
Fresh/Frozen Peas......use canned
Plum Tomatoes.......use canned diced
Freen Onion........don't even know what these are :LOL: .....shallots, green onion or regular yellow onion

Will these substitutions be ok?

You could definitely do an Alfredo Sauce - heavy cream heated until it starts to foam up - add a hefty amount of garlic - let it cook and reduce - add some Parmesan, salt, white pepper - toss with some spaghetti.

Or - roasted the following - single layer each in their own section of a rimmed cookie sheet - drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Some take longer than others - when I do this I always roast them over the course of the day in different pans if I'm doing a lot.

Red and Yellow Peppers
Zucchini
Mushrooms (Button Type)
Cauliflower
Broccoli
shallots
garlic

Once everything is roasted toss with some cooked spaghetti that has been doused in a little more olive oil, kosher salt, and fresh parsley.

For your protein you can pound the chicken out VERY thin - like 1/8" - dredge lightly in salted and peppered flour - pan sauté until brown on each side - top each flattened out piece of chicken with some Parmesan cheese (I really like Gruyère or fontina but you didn't say you had any of that) - well - just make a variation of this recipe Lombardi Chicken

kitchenelf said:
You could definately do an Alfredo Sauce - heavy cream heated until it starts to foam up - add a hefty amount of garlic - let it cook and reduce - add some Parmesan, salt, white pepper - toss with some spaghetti.

Or - roasted the following - single layer each in their own section of a rimmed cookie sheet - drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Some take longer than others - when I do this I always roast them over the course of the day in different pans if I'm doing a lot.

Red and Yellow Peppers
Zucchini
Mushrooms (Button Type)
Cauliflower
Broccoli
shallots
garlic

Once everything is roasted toss with some cooked spaghetti that has been doused in a little more olive oil, kosher salt, and fresh parsley.
Roasted Vegetables always make things awesome!!!

Yes they do Erik!! I love them - shallots, turnips, broccoli, mushrooms, grape tomatoes - I love them all roasted!!!

I already changed my post - lol - I added a protein.

While we are on the subject of Roasted Veggies...

Actually, this is the first dinner entree I learned to prepare in a professional kitchen, close to 16 years ago.

Blackened Catfish:

1 ounce salad oil
2 (5 to 8-ounce) catfish fillets
2 ounces cajun blackening seasoning

Heat a 12-inch cast iron skillet over high heat. When the skillet is hot, add the oil. Season both sides of each catfish fillet with the blackening seasoning and place in skillet. Cook fillets for 3-5 minutes on each side. Take off heat and place off to the side.

Ratatouille:

1 red bell pepper, lengthwise into 1-inch wide strips
2 baby eggplant, quartered lengthwise
3 baby zucchini, quartered lengthwise
2 plum tomatoes, quartered lengthwise and seeded
2 shallots, peeled and sliced lengthwise
Extra-virgin olive oil, to coat
Coarse salt, cracked black pepper, crushed garlic, and thyme, to taste

Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
Working on a cookie sheet, combine vegetables. Drizzle liberally with extra-virgin olive oil and season. Toss to coat vegetables evenly. Roast until just tender, 15 minutes. Transfer to the center of 2 plates. Plate Catfish on top and serve!!!

Oh my gosh guys........I'm no chef but I think I can actually make something fantastic with your ideas. I'll let you now how it turns out.

brine the chicken, pat dry, season, then set aside. put on a large pot of salted water and also a small pot of unsalted water. simmer the broccoli till bright green in small pot, drain, and run under cold water for a few minutes. when water in large pot boils, cook noodles as package directs.
put chicken on to broil or grill. meanwhile, slice zucchini and cut all three colors of peppers into chunks; mince a clove or two of garlic and slice some scallion bottoms. saute, along with broccoli, in olive oil till veggies are crisp-tender; season with salt and pepper. heat some extra virgin olive oil through with smashed garlic clove. toss veggies, hot, drained noodles, sliced chicken, and olive oil together. transfer to serving bowl or platter and grate parmesan over. serve w/ garlic-parsley toast.
OR
you could make Kluski (cabbage and noodles.)
boil your egg noodles, leaving slightly undercooked, by about 2 or 3 minutes. meanwhile, cut a large white onion into eights and seperate sections; cook till translucent in lots (about 1 stick) of (REAL!!!!
18.gif
) butter; add a head of knife-shredded cabbage and cook down. add drained noodles when they are done, season heavily with fresh-cracked black pepper and salt to taste. and cover and cook till cabbage is soft.
you can also use bacon fat and add some crisp bacon, crumbled, to the noodles. delicious w/ cold milk and a nice hunk of warm, buttered bread.
OR
mix boiled egg noodles, cooked, sliced grilled or broiled chicken, sauteed mushrooms and scallion bottoms, sour cream, a can of cream of mushroom soup, garlic, minced, salt and pepper, and grated colby cheese.
cover with extra colby, bake at 350 till cheese is brown around the edges.

Back
Top Bottom