What's the best emulsifier for ice cream in this case?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ironpony

Assistant Cook
Hello there, I'm new here. I wasn't sure if this kind of question belonged here, or in the deserts forum, so I guessed here.

So I've been making a lot of ice cream lately, and want to get better. So far, almost every recipe says to use egg yolks to emulsify it. But the problem with egg yolks is that it leaves an eggy taste in it. This taste is okay for some flavors like vanilla, or maybe butter rum.

However, when it comes to fruit flavors like rasberry, or pomegranate, the eggy taste is just getting in the way of the fruit taste too much. I tried making them without the eggs and the taste is much better, but now the ice cream is too frosty and needs a more emulsified texture now.

I looked up other emulsifiers that can be used, but is there one that has the least amount of taste compared to the others, so the cream and the fruit can be tasted as much as possible, but of course one that is also a good emulsifier if possible as well?

Last edited:
If you are using eggs you are making European style ice cream. For American style it’s just mixing milks/cream/sugar/flavoring. The rest is about technique. It’s important to get the liquid container at or slightly below freezing when churning. Churning should finish when you have a soft serve cream not hard or butter consistency. The freezer should take care of solidifying the cream not the ice cream maker. I never use eggs and people say it’s much better than the store bought.

The guys explain some of the technique part

https://youtu.be/4YQ9MpXjtQo

This is the vid that got me started making homemade ice cream. I went and bought the same ice cream maker and followed the directions. Comes out perfect every time. I get about double ice cream from amount of liquid I start with. So 3 quarts liquid returns 6 quarts ice cream.

https://youtu.be/QULFWnYFTlo

Oh okay thanks. That is what I do, wait till it's soft serve in the churner, and then put it in the freezer. However, later, after it's frozen, it comes out kind of a little too hard and frosty if it's American style, compared to European. Is there a way to get it as soft as European style, but without eggs of course?

Oh okay thanks, so it's less about how it's made, and more about how it's frozen then?

Are there any American ice cream recipes then compared to European? For example, I want to make popcorn ice cream, but every recipe says to use eggs. I tried it, but feel I can taste the eggs too much, and need to taste the popcorn more.

Is there an American pop corn ice cream recipe out there, that I haven't found?

Or if there are no American style recipes, how can I 'American-ize', a European recipe? Do I just add as much more cream as there would be eggs in it?

Last edited:
Ice crystals tend to form in freezer same as any liquid in a freezer. The holders I linked are double walled with air between them so the freeze never directly touches the ice cream...

Not sure on popcorn ice cream. I make any flavor American style with extract as base flavor and then chunks/pieces of whatever I want in it. I.e strawberry extract with chunks of strawberries etc. I always use the base recipe amounts from the video I linked above.

What ice cream maker are u using? I suspect your issue lies there more than anything else. Maybe it doesn’t have enough rpm to churn properly and not need eggs to emulsify.

U Americanize by just leaving out the eggs. It’s that simple. You most likely will have to adjust you milk/cream for this so u can make up the fat. Start with the homemade ice cream vid above and add in your popcorn. Steep it for an hour in the warmed liquid mix and then strain it back out. Then put in your churner/freezer machine and see how it comes out.

Okay thanks. The ice cream maker is a Cusinart but that's all it says on it. I lost the instruction book since I never use the book, and it just has an on and off switch to use. It's the kind with the slow spinning bowl.

I feel that it tastes fine but how do I make up for the extra fat? If the recipe calls for 8 egg yokes, do I an egg yoke, onto a scale, and weigh it, then multiply the weight by 8, and then use that same amount of weight in heavy cream then?

Other sources say to use stabilizers like guar gum or corn starch. But wouldn't corn starch or guar gum, have their own tastes too, that might take away from the flavor?

Last edited:
My ice cream maker isn't as big. We almost never have ice cream left in the freezer more than a day or three. I haven't had a problem with the texture and I have yet to try making it with egg.

Oh okay. Well I could try corn starch like some sources say, and see if that tastes better, compared to egg yolks, but how do I know much to put into a recipe, if I am substituting it for egg yolks?

No cornstarch or eggs. Follow the video I gave u above. Homemade ice cream. If you don’t want to make as much as vid divide by whatever percentage you want to make. He is making 3 quart size in vid.

Make the ice cream just like vid. Try it in vanilla as it is. If u like it use the same mix and do what I said to incorporate popcorn flavor.

Makes sense?

Okay thanks, so you mean the recipe, just without eggs. However, how do I know much more heavy cream to substitute instead?

Okay thanks, so you mean the recipe, just without eggs. However, how do I know much more heavy cream to substitute instead?

Make your ice cream same as the video (if u watch it there is no eggs). Instead of churning in his mixer use yours until consistency you like. For popcorn flavor steep the popcorn in and strain as stated above. Pretty simple. Use video recipe yes. 1 quart each of heavy cream, half/half, whole milk + the other stuff like sugar, salt, extract, etc. just follow the video and your set for vanilla ice cream. For popcorn again follow what I said. Should be good.

When making ice cream, ice crystals are formed in the mixture. The size of the crystals defines the smoothness of the end product, with smaller crystals yielding a smoother texture, and larger ones a more icy or sorbet like texture.

The size of the crystals depend on both the fat content and the amount of time and cooling rate of the mixture. More fat and less time and greater cooling delta result in less recrystallization, and smaller ice crystals. Consider cranking your freezer way down before you store your freezing bowl. And, experiment with the temperature of your mixture you're adding to the ice cream maker. I would recommend cooling it down to 40°F or less before adding it to the ice cream maker. Also put the paddle (and any other parts that contact the mixture) in the freezer as well.

If you are using an ice cream maker with built in refrigeration, run it for 10-20 minutes before adding the mixture to make sure it is cold enough.

Okay thanks. In the recipe, the guy also uses half and half cream. I've never done that. I have just followed most recipes which say to use whole milk and whipping cream. But is there any advantage to adding half and half?

Or since my problem is having too many ice crystals in the cream, what if instead of mixing heavy cream with whole milk, or half and half; what if I used all heavy cream only. Would that help get with less ice crystals?

Last edited:
1 quart of each. Makes the perfect mix. Yes use heavy cream, half/half, and whole milk. Again just follow the video and everyone will love your ice cream. I’ve made around 30 batches with this recipe and people love it every time. Every single time. I use Nielsen-Massey for the vanilla extract though.
Scottin is spot on regarding texture and crystals. If u watch they first vid I linked they explain the same thing.

Last edited:
Oh okay, but I can't follow the video exactly though, since I am making popcorn ice cream. Well here is the popcorn ice cream recipe I have done before:

2 cups popped popcorn
1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
2 cups whole milk
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup light corn syrup
5 tablespoons sugar, divided
8 large egg yolks

So if I should change the types of cream, what should I do instead of the recipe calls for 4 cups of milk or cream, but at the same time, I should remove the eggs?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom