"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 02-27-2006, 05:02 PM   #11
Head Chef
Will let them essentially steam in a bit of water with a top on the frying pan and will then take the cover off and saute them a bit.

Then serve them on a roll with caramelized onions and peppers.

If it is grilling season will usually cook them that way, but unfortunately sydfan cannot do that.

Do like adding a bit of tomato sauce to the mix, but to each his own.

And a splash of hot sauce never hurt anything.

auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 06:26 PM   #12
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
I poke a few holes in them with a fork, then put them in a pan, on a rack, under the broiler.

Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:37 AM   #13
Senior Cook
Send a message via MSN to RDG
Excuse me...what type of sausages are they? There are three main types: narrow and very long (even two meters), generally sweet. These are for sauces, or in pan, whith white wine, some onions and beans.
Then, the narrow and short (generally hot). You eat them generally raw, or after putting them under oil for some months.
Then, there are the short and large ones. These are for grill or for pan, or, if very short, for...stewed meats whith cabbage or so on.
This ones are the best ones, and I generally cook them without opening. You can make some little holes with a needle, and then the fat inside will go out. The sausage will be lighter, even if less tasty. Otherwise, cook them in a very low flame, without holing them, turn them up and down many times, and you will eat something glorious. Heavy, but good . In all the preparation, pan or grill, you can add some seeds of fennel.
RDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:34 AM   #14
Master Chef
On almost all raw (as opposed to smoked) sausages, I'm with Gretchen. A little beer or wine, simmer for awhile, then brown. This renders a little of the fat without toughening the sausage or removing flavor. You can get a little more violent if you're putting it in a red sauce: Cut into sections and sear, then simmer in your sauce.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:51 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
i always learned that when frying (raw, sweet or hot pork) sausages, covering the pan, or worse steaming or braising them before browning will make them tough. i think i read it first in dom delouise's cookbook "eat this, it'll make you feel better", a tip from dom's mom.
if you want to make sausage and peppers, fry the sausage, whole - not split, in a little olive oil on low to medium heat, turning occasionally until they are cooked thru and well browned. if you want to reduce the fat, prick it a coupla times with a fork, but that also lets out so much of the flavor.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:56 AM   #16
Master Chef
My husband likes them cut into short segments (about an inch), then fried in olive oil at a relatively high heat, so the ends "blow out" from the skin, and the skin is crisp. Then I throw them on pasta, or even a salad. I use the more gentle treatments for when I'm going to put them in sauce or soup.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 05:14 AM   #17
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by sydfan
Without a grill. I have a stove, oven, frying pan and baking sheet. I'm not putting any sauce on it....just good ol' sausage sammiches. I've heard about putting a little water in a pan.....but I just don't know.

I'm a novice, so forgive my lack of knowledge!

i like to fry some potatos with onion bell pepper and garlic and a little butter flavered crisco and the sausage not heathy but tasty
CookChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 08:32 AM   #18
Head Chef
Put them in the oven covered and then last 10 min-15 un cover and they brown up You can add you onions and pepers to really nice and very tender and juicey
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching
letscook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:01 PM   #19
Assistant Cook
Italian Sausage

I usually put a little water in the frying pan and cook them over low heat till they start to ooze some of the fat - don't forget to prick them first - at that point water usually has boiled off and the fat from the sausage is enough is enough to finish cooking them. This is for links the patties I just put in a cold pan and cook till done. Have tried boiling them in water till done and then finishing in a fry pan to get them brown but that leaves the problem of what to do with the oily water don't want it to go down the drain since we are on a septic system so all in all the water in the frying pan system works best for me
JoyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 01:23 PM   #20
Senior Cook
Location: Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my family lives.
When we are not grilling I like to boil them first, mainly to make sure they are cooked through, and then I brown them in a little olive oil. Red pepper and onions are almost a must, but I think I will be trying the white wine, parsley and seedless grapes soon.

Bryan Knox
What if the the Hokey Pokey IS what it is all about?
bknox is offline   Reply With Quote