What's the best way to crush kidney beans with minimal equipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

healthyMan

Assistant Cook
I'm trying with a cutting board and some spoons (decent sized wooden ones), it's taking forever !

I either use a slotted spoon to put some on the cutting board and mash with a fork, or just a few mashes with a potato masher right in the pot. I intentionally got a potato masher with mostly flat surfaces for just this reason.

I haven't ever tried crushing kidney beans like this but what about in a gallon ziploc unzipped with a rolling pin? I use a ziploc to pound out chicken because its a lot tough then plastic wrap.

Heh. At first I thought you were talking about dry beans.

Stick blender or hand mixer? Maybe the food processor? There'd need to be some liquid involved.

Last edited:
Okay......the obvious question..........why do you want to "crush" kidney beans? Could they be mashed instead, what are they intended for. Curious minds want to know! ;-)

I don't know beans about kidney beans, but when I mash up cooked pinto beans for refritos, I leave 'em in the pot and use a manual potato masher, one with small square holes in a round face and a wooden handle. Been doing it that way for years. I have a mixer and a food processor and all that stuff, but for refried beans, who wants all the hassle of set up and clean up?

gadzooks said:
I don't know beans about kidney beans, but when I mash up cooked pinto beans for refritos, I leave 'em in the pot and use a manual potato masher, one with small square holes in a round face and a wooden handle. Been doing it that way for years. I have a mixer and a food processor and all that stuff, but for refried beans, who wants all the hassle of set up and clean up?

+1 Gadzooks!

I use the whizzer I whizz soup with. I think, is called a wand whizzer. Though, if you use this you would need to do the whizzing in bursts, as the motor heats up and it can break the whizzer if it gets too hot.

Mel:)

Back
Top Bottom