What's the Coolest thing you've ever made with LEFTOVERS ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peterpack

Assistant Cook
Some people know how to make magic with leftovers.

What are some of the coolest things you have done with leftovers ?

Here's one for leftover rice.

Rice Vegetable Cheese Casserole
Serves 4 to 6

I’ve made this so many times, but have never measured or written it down.
It’s delicious every time and doesn’t really need specific quantities.
Just put in what you like or have and leave out what you don’t. The only “musts” are the rice, butter, cheese and liquid. Here’s what I put in mine, but you can make it your own with your favorite ingredients.

3-4 cups cooked rice.
4-6 TB. butter or margarine
11/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2-3 cups sliced tomatoes, white or yellow onion slices, sliced mushrooms, broccoli and/or zucchini or any veggies of your choice.
1 cup liquid. It can be chicken or vegetable broth or white wine or a combination.
Water is OK too.

Spread a cup of cooked rice on the bottom of a greased casserole dish. Layer
veggies on top of the rice. Dot with 1-2 TB butter, divided so that you have 5 or 6 “dots”.
Sprinkle with ¼ to 1/3 cup of the cheese. Repeat until you run out of rice and vegetables.
It doesn’t matter what ends up on top, but some cheese is nice. Pour the 1 cup of liquid over the whole thing. Cover and pop into a 350 degree oven for about 45-50 minutes or until it’s piping hot in the center. Serve with crusty French bread and a fruit salad.
Tastes even better the second day!

Tonight is leftovers. Last night we had smoked salmon with all the sides, grilled lobster tall, grilled tuna, and steamed asparagus. It was my wife’s birthday. She has done so well on her diet, lost 60 lbs so far, that I did not want to mess it up. Besides that, tuna and lobster are my wife and son’s favorite things. Tonight will be salad with the extra tuna that I grilled last night on stove top griddle. I used seasoned grape seed oil and olive oil on the lobster and tuna. No butter.

Here's one for leftover rice.

Rice Vegetable Cheese Casserole
Serves 4 to 6

I’ve made this so many times, but have never measured or written it down.
It’s delicious every time and doesn’t really need specific quantities.
Just put in what you like or have and leave out what you don’t. The only “musts” are the rice, butter, cheese and liquid. Here’s what I put in mine, but you can make it your own with your favorite ingredients.

3-4 cups cooked rice.
4-6 TB. butter or margarine
11/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2-3 cups sliced tomatoes, white or yellow onion slices, sliced mushrooms, broccoli and/or zucchini or any veggies of your choice.
1 cup liquid. It can be chicken or vegetable broth or white wine or a combination.
Water is OK too.

Spread a cup of cooked rice on the bottom of a greased casserole dish. Layer
veggies on top of the rice. Dot with 1-2 TB butter, divided so that you have 5 or 6 “dots”.
Sprinkle with ¼ to 1/3 cup of the cheese. Repeat until you run out of rice and vegetables.
It doesn’t matter what ends up on top, but some cheese is nice. Pour the 1 cup of liquid over the whole thing. Cover and pop into a 350 degree oven for about 45-50 minutes or until it’s piping hot in the center. Serve with crusty French bread and a fruit salad.
Tastes even better the second day!

WOW! That sounds amazing! Cut and pasted! Thank you!

We threw a dinner party last year and got hit with a major, unexpected blizzard that day. No one came and we were stuck with 14 lb. of turkey. We had turkey curry, turkey stir fry, turkey soup, turkey burritos, turkey curry burritos (!)...

One night when we had guests, we had spinach and artichoke dip and boiled a bunch of shrimp.
The next night, I cooked some fettucine, mixed in the leftover dip and the peeled leftover shrimp, and it was delicious!

WOW! That sounds amazing! Cut and pasted! Thank you!

I couldn't agree more! We are having a friend over for lunch today who is vegetarian and I was trying to think what to have. I always have leftover rice and have everything else - just took some vegetable stock out of the freezer! This is lunch.

Thanks, Laury (love the name by the way - mine is Laurie)

It's not earth-shattering but it sure was good! I made a salad of baby greens, roasted red peppers, prosciutto, kalamata olives and water-packed mozzarella with a dressing of simply olive oil that was blended with garlic, lots of fresh basil, and kosher salt.

The next day I drizzled the oil on the inside of a baguette and put everything else on it and made a panino.

Oh, what's MY coolest thing with leftovers?

I would have to say the time at camp where we had two 5 litre buckets of cooked pork sausages and a huge tub of penne pasta that hadn't been oiled properly and was all stuck together. I chopped up both of them, trying to keep the pasta in rings as much as possible but there were several "chunks of tiny rings. I had a big pot of chicken stock that had been made the day before and just needed skimming so I did that, put it on the burner, added the meat, pasta, some celery, onion, carrots, corn and herbs and had an incredible pot of soup made out of stuff that would otherwise have been thrown out that day!

Everyone kept wanting the "kitchen sink" soup but it was a one-time because of the original goofs (too many sausages and icky pasta) were NOT repeated!

For super bowl I made asada stuffed potato skins with salsa and cheese YUM. Well I made waaay too much asada and I also have all the potato that was scooped out to make skins. So yesterday I had asada tacos with the works. tomorrow we're having a meaty shephards pie outta the potatoes and beef!

Also everyonce in a while I make chicken with basil, garlic and ginger- we usually eat it with steamed rice. Then the next day we cut up left over chicken and toss it with pasta and peanut sauce, the steamed rice turns into spicy fried rice.

I LOVE LEFTOVERS:pig:

I had some leftover lasagne once and i used it as a topping on my special chicken nachos. Amazingly it all tasted damm good !

Pizza and omelettes are my "dumps" for leftover veggies and some meats (chicken, turkey, hamburger, etc). If I have leftover cream soups like tomato, potato etc and there is too little to freeze, I make bread out of them.

learned this from my aunt........take leftover beef roast (you could use pork roast as well) chop it up and add barbeque sauce......cook it on top of the stove for about 20 minutes and serve it over buns (if the sauce is very strong just add some water......sloppy joes voila....serve with a salad and a veggie......kids love it..........

I made a giant beef tenderloin for a special occasion and had about 6 of the most rare slices leftover.... the next day for lunch I cut the pieces into small strips and sautéed with some garlic and chopped onion in olive oil... added a little crushed red pepper and italian seasoning, then poured in some leftover tomato sauce and simmered for about 10 minutes. 2 Italian rolls later and we had THE BEST steak sandwiches ever.... melted provolone on top.... ok now I'm hungry.

Back
Top Bottom