What's with bread twist ties?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I kinda like the little clip things because it's easier to read the best by date on them. With a twist tie, you have to try to read the printing on the plastic bag, which isn't always easy. And I don't like trying to remember the day of the week color code. It's too much work for fresh bread.

Besides, twist ties are only used twice in our house before being stored under the refrigerator. (Once as a twist tie, once as a cat toy.) Clips are harder for a cat to steal.

And when there's neither clip nor tie, I spin the bag closed, then fold the opening back over and around the remaining bread. No knots.

I kinda like the little clip things because it's easier to read the best by date on them. With a twist tie, you have to try to read the printing on the plastic bag, which isn't always easy. And I don't like trying to remember the day of the week color code. It's too much work for fresh bread.

Besides, twist ties are only used twice in our house before being stored under the refrigerator. (Once as a twist tie, once as a cat toy.) Clips are harder for a cat to steal.

And when there's neither clip nor tie, I spin the bag closed, then fold the opening back over and around the remaining bread. No knots.

bt, think alphabet. Blue, green, red, white, yellow. The ties by color are like the alphabet. Blue is for Monday. Saturday is yellow, red is Thursday, white for Friday and Saturday is Saturday. None for Wednesday.

https://consumerist.com/2011/02/28/color-coded-plastic-ties-tell-you-day-your-bread-was-baked/

This should be helpful.

bt, think alphabet. Blue, green, red, white, yellow. The ties by color are like the alphabet. Blue is for Monday. Saturday is yellow, red is Thursday, white for Friday and Saturday is Saturday. None for Wednesday.

https://consumerist.com/2011/02/28/color-coded-plastic-ties-tell-you-day-your-bread-was-baked/

This should be helpful.
Thanks Addie.

Here you go.

tn_Bread_clip_code.png

Ya see? Too much work. I have enough color codes to try to remember.

I'll take a printed clip.

I use twist ties with my bread bags. When I but bags of potatoes, they always come with the plastic clips that Andy shows. I'm thinking they could make a good guitar pick in a pinch.:LOL::rolleyes:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I open by untwisting whichever way gets the bag open then twist it to the right when I close the bag.

I placed this 'q' here cause i pondered this when grilling cheese

Why do bread companies put the twist tie backwards (from the traditional righty tighty lefty loosey).* I'm sure this really drives mechanics nuts.

I know this is not what people have in mind originally because when visiting friends or family and they let me use bread, if it is used already their twist ties are the traditional way, as second nature takes place when they put it back...

Well that is if they dont do what most guys do and just spin it and tuck it under the loaf.
I worked for Bunny Bread when I was in high school, and here's what I learned.
1. The machine that twists the ties has a nut over a 2 hole twister. This nut is right hand thread. The ties are twisted lefty so the nut won't loosen when it spins.
2. The bags that are twisted by hand are done with a hand pulled wire twister like they use for wiring rebar. These twist lefty.
3. This is a tamper evidence thing. If the twist is righty, the bag has been opened and reclosed, marking it as tampered with. It's good to check this when buying loaves, it means that nobody put their grubby hands inside or in some cases a bag will come open and the bread will fall out then shoved back in and twisted shut.
That's why I hate tabs. You can't tell if someone tampered with it (most of the time it's kids of parents that just let them do what they want, like tasting the fruit, licking vegetables, & opening breads, snacks, and rolls)

Hello Stevedtat and Welcome to DC.

How interesting and what a fascinating thread. I had never seen this one until your post. Thank You!

@msmofet do you think the colour codes are still used?
I do wonder because in Quebec a regulation was in place for 30 years that prohibited bakeries from delivering fresh bread to stores on Sundays or Mondays.
Was finally rescinded in April 1996, and bakeries could finally get their bread to their customers without facing a fine.

Stevedtat, welcome! I didn't know about the twist tie machine nor the tamper evidence.
I have my stash of twist ties, some of which are approaching their last use. When the last one goes I'll resort to using string, floral wire, or zip bags.

Stevedtat, welcome! I didn't know about the twist tie machine nor the tamper evidence.
I have my stash of twist ties, some of which are approaching their last use. When the last one goes I'll resort to using string, floral wire, or zip bags.
I bought a package of twist ties from Amazon because none of the baked goods I buy come with twist ties any more. They come with those plastic clips that are only good for repairing your flip flops.

Last edited:
I hate when I buy a loaf of fresh bread and the bag is closed with a piece of tape. The bag always rips when I try to separate the tape. What idiot thought to close bags like this? So now I have to help myself to extra produce bags, to place bread in, so my bread doesn't go stale.

msmofet, I feel the same about tape that seals the bag around fresh produce. I have to use a large ziploc bag for lettuce after I manage to free it from the taped shut grocery wrapper, and the same for broccoli and cauliflower.
Could this be a plot to make us buy ziploc bags?
You can always take a plastic bag from the produce section 😉 I keep them after bringing them home and reuse them as much as I can.

You can always take a plastic bag from the produce section 😉 I keep them after bringing them home and reuse them as much as I can.
That’s what I use. I take extra produce bags. I use them for the bread. I also put meat packages in them in case they leak blood etc.

Back
Top Bottom