What's wrong with this egg?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CarolPa

Executive Chef
This morning DH was making breakfast. He cracked an egg, but although the shell fell off the eggs did not open. The inner membrane stayed intact. Is this normal? I am going to try to post a picture.

Whatever caused this, I made hard boiled eggs with these eggs yesterday and they turned out great! They peeled perfectly. Too bad I wasn't making them for deviled eggs, when you need the eggs to peel well.

Attachments

• egg 003.jpg
    egg 003.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Kinda cool! Carol, were they farmer's market eggs? I've had some different experiences with those.

Is that the egg that is brownish color?

Yes, it is. I think the color was distorted a bit because of the membrane being intact and also the lighting when we took the pic. When we broke it, the yolk ran out bright yellow, not brownish. These eggs had a very bright yolk rather than a pale yellow yolk that some eggs have.

From what I'm told by a person involved in the industry, because the chickens are all cooped up, no pan intended, and never see the light of the day, the yolks are actually grey in color. To avoid this, the chickens are being fed some sort of chemical combinations that makes yolks yellow.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Chickens are fed marigold petals to improve the color of the yolks (or their skin, if they are meat chickens), but I don't think yolks are ever grey. My chickens eggs get lighter in color during the winter because they aren't getting the veggies that I feed them in the summer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom