What's your 2 favorite steak sauces...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
a great bleu, a creamy/rich bleu, can make a steak a seperate entity; i'd give that 1 a thought!

I agree, luvs.

I love the taste of grilled seasoned chicken wings, but sauce is nice sometimes ;)
That said, you will never find horseradish on my plate with a slice of prime rib or roast beef.
It's interesting the way we think nothing of combining flavors of some foods, yet abhor another.

The natural steak juices!

On VERY RARE occasion I mix a combo to dip in but I have to be in the mood for something with a tang.

A-1 Steak Sauce
Worcestershire Sauce
Soy sauce
Magi Seasoning sauce
Red Wine vinegar
Liquid hickory smoke

I mix it up to taste.

2 favorites: Peter Luger Steak Sauce and homemade bearnaise sauce.

Now, the Peter Luger sauce only goes on hamburgers, never a real steak.
And the bearnaise is only served with a filet.

Otherwise, steak needs to be nekkid.

One of the reasons I asked is when I went to Florence Italy a few years back I ate steak there. It was a filet mignon with a dark brown sauce and mushrooms. I'm not kidding around it was the best meal I've ever had in my life lol. No it wasn't A1 sauce. It was a little bit more water than the A1 sauce, and the taste wasn't so apparent or obvious right away like it is with the A1 sauce.

It was almost like the sauce was purposely made in a way so the taste of the sauce wasn't so obvious, and in that way it doesn't cover up the steaks taste. I still have no idea till today what sauce it was but it was an amazing meal.

Sounds like it was probably a pan sauce, not a bottled sauce.

After cooking the meat, remove it to rest. Pour in some red wine or other aromatic liquid, and stir up all the nice brown stuff off the bottom of the pan. You can add whatever you like; sauteed mushrooms, garlic, shallots, a little beef stock, poached marrow, capers, dijon mustard, cognac, cream, etc., (not all of them - just one or two to compliment our meat). Swirl in a pat of butter at the end. Reduce it and pour it over your meat. You'll think you died and went to heaven, or to Europe.

Pan sauces beautifully compliment the meat - they don't overpower it.

One of the reasons I asked is when I went to Florence Italy a few years back I ate steak there. It was a filet mignon with a dark brown sauce and mushrooms. I'm not kidding around it was the best meal I've ever had in my life lol. No it wasn't A1 sauce. It was a little bit more water than the A1 sauce, and the taste wasn't so apparent or obvious right away like it is with the A1 sauce.

It was almost like the sauce was purposely made in a way so the taste of the sauce wasn't so obvious, and in that way it doesn't cover up the steaks taste. I still have no idea till today what sauce it was but it was an amazing meal.

I'm typically a "no sauce" on my steak kind of girl, but that does sound wonderful.

I love Worcestershire sauce on hamburger steak. And I do like pan sauces. For prime rib, I love horseradish and au jus.

BTW, welcome to DC!

I make a filet that that, it's wrapped in bacon and then I make a mushroom madiera sauce... Otherwise it's just salt and pepper for me...

When I do find a cheaper cut that I feel needs a sauce, I always make Jack Daniels sauce. In a pan heat equal amounts of unsalted butter and worcestershire sauce. Add one oz. Jack Daniels and cook for 1 more minute to remove some of the alcohol. It's the perfect sauce in my opinion.

No sauce. I have Worcestershire sauce for addition to hamburgers and meatloaf. I love teriyaki and soy sauce, but those i save for marinades.

Horseradish is served a lot. Not horseradish sauce, just horseradish.

Back
Top Bottom