What's your favorite crock pot, slow cooker recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
What is your all time favorite slow cooker recipe?

Mine comes from the Rival Crock Pot recipe booklet that came with my slow cooker. I'll give the recipe as stated, which of course I modify:LOL:.

Sweet and Spicy Glazed Chicken

6 4 ounce skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 T. oil
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
4 garlic cloves. minced
1/2 C. brown sugar
1 C. reduced sodium soy sauce
1 C. reduced sodium chicken broth
2 T. lemon juice
1/2 t. cayenne pepper
1/4 Cup cornstarch
1/2 Cup water

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Add chicken and brown on both sides. Season chicken with s&p. Put in crock pot. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, except the corn starch and water. Pour over chicken, cover, and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours, or on high for 3 to 4 hours. WHen done, remove chicken, make paste out of cornstarch and water, stir into pot liquid and cook until thickened.

I use skin on, bone in, split chicken breasts, way more garlic, sliced, about 3 T. tamari or shoyu with 3/4 Cup water, and Penzeys chicken base, for the reduced sodium stuff. I usually cook it on high and it is done before three hours.

Beth, I'm glad you started this thread. I've not been a fan of crock pot cooking so much and realize that may have been a mistake. For one thing, I don't usually think about dinner so early in the day. What I find here may change my mind.
Also, I wanted to tell you what an impact you and your dh have made in all the things he is doing. It is very seldom that we see someone so selfless as to think not of themselves but others. I hope God gives him lots of extra time with you and both of you will be able to share the fruits of his labor for a long time.

hi everybody! I am from alabama. And crockpot cooking is very easy you for those of us who are busy and all that. This recipe came about from me and my great grandmother cooking all the time.

heres a recipe I thought would be real good for the crockpot. ROAST... its wonderful.. so tender it melts in your mouth.. dont even need a knife to cut it.

I sometimes cook the pork roast in there and then shred it to make BBQ out of.. thing is when you do that ... you gotta put it in the oven to bake it alittle so the sauce can get in there real good and spices.
ANYWAY lol here's my recipe

1 pork roast( size depends on how big your cooker is.. and how many folks you are feeding lol)
1 teaspoon of sage
1tsp of brown sugar
1/2 tsp of cinnamon(optional)
1/2tsp of salt and pepper
1/2 tsp of italian seasonings( more depending on your tastebuds)
about 10 potato's( or if your like me more if you can fit them in the pot)
a bunch of baby carrots
cut up a sweet onion in there and what ever other veggies you like
put some water to fill it almost half way.. not quite because the fat will liquify and make more juice
cook it all night and all the next day till dinner time.

(note: if your gonna use the roast as BBQ... dont put all the veggies in there.. it makes it taste diffrent. just cook it the same time frame.. take it out.. shred it all up take out the fat parts though.put it in a long cake pan.. slap some sauce on it.. cover it with tinfoil.. bake it at 400 degrees until you start to smell it.. check on it and when the sauce turns a nice rich color take it out. Serve it like a plate with other veggies on it.. or serve it on a bun. Thats some good eats right there!

My favorite is a pork butt. I put it on about 7 at night with just salt and pepper. I let it go on low all night, the smell is wonderful..In the morning depending, will it be bbq or enchiladas if bbq I add some crushed garlic and some chopped onions, then either a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's or a home made bbq sauce. If enchiladas I add, garlic,onions,cumin. I add my seasonings about a half or fortyfive min. before everuthing is done.I find if I add seasoning at the start the flavor leechs out and the meat if rather blah:LOL:
kadesma

This is my favorite, especially in the summer when I want lasagna, but don't want to use the oven.

Slow Cooker Lasagna

1 lb. ground beef
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 – 28 oz. jar spaghetti sauce
½ cup water
8 uncooked lasagna noodles
1 – 4 ½ oz. can mushrooms (drained), optional
1 – 15 oz. carton ricotta cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided

Cook meat and Italian seasoning in large skillet over medium high heat, stirring until beef is browned, drain. Combine spaghetti sauce and water in small bowl. Spray slow cooker with cooking spray. Place 4 uncooked noodles in the bottom of slow cooker. Layer half the meat mixture, half the spaghetti sauce mixture, and half of the mushrooms.

Spread all of ricotta cheese over mushrooms. Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Layer with remaining noodles, meat, sauce, mushrooms, and mozzarella cheese. Cover and cook on high 1 hour. Reduce heat to low setting and cook for another 3 hours.

SierraCook's Notes: Watch closely. It may not always need the total 3 hours on low. Feel free to add minced garlic or chopped onion to the meat mixture. I sometimes use Italian sausage in place of ground beef. Also, you might have to break some of the noodles to get them to fit evenly in your slow cooker. I don’t use the mushrooms, but that is just my preference.

Last edited:
My favorite is a pork butt. I put it on about 7 at night with just salt and pepper. I let it go on low all night, the smell is wonderful..In the morning depending, will it be bbq or enchiladas if bbq I add some crushed garlic and some chopped onions, then either a bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's or a home made bbq sauce. If enchiladas I add, garlic,onions,cumin. I add my seasonings about a half or fortyfive min. before everuthing is done.I find if I add seasoning at the start the flavor leechs out and the meat if rather blah:LOL:
kadesma

this method is what i will use for the meat for tamales. i have also done this for pulled pork sandwiches

BBQ beef

1 chuck roast
1 sliced onion
4 cloves sliced garlic
water to cover

Cook on high until meat is done (about 4 hours), reduce heat, pour off extra liquid leaving about 2 cups broth in crock. Add 1 cup of favorite BBQ suace, chunk the beef. Continue to simmer on low for 3 hours, shred beef with two forks and another cup of BBQ sauce. Simmer for 1 more hour to let the sauce meld. Stir and serve over buns or hoagie rolls.

Gosh, I think I just got a bit of inspiration...!

Back
Top Bottom