What's Your Favorite Deli Meat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's raw air dried beef.

The best and leanest parts of legs of beef are layered in containers with salt, Alpine herbs and a secret mixture of spices and left at low temperatures for around five weeks. The layers are rearranged every week to ensure that the pieces of raw meat are cured and seasoned evenly. Some of the original moisture content is already lost at this stage.

The second phase in the maturing process is a ten to fifteen-week drying period at an average temperature of twelve degrees Celsius. Packed in nets, the hunks of beef are dried under constant supervision in the pure, oxygen-rich air of the Graubünden mountain and forest regions. From time to time, the blocks are pressed on two sides. Contrary to popular belief, this is not done to give the beef its typical rectangular shape so much as to spread the moisture around evenly inside.

The manufacturing process, during which the beef loses almost half of its original weight, comprises a total of three dozen different steps, most of which involve a considerable amount of traditional craftsmanship.

For more info see-

Grischuna

Depends upon the deli. Jewish deli? probably kishke, although I don't allow myself any more than once a year, if that. Love Kosher Corned Beef.

Italian deli? That awesome Mortadella with the pistachios (has to be imported from Italy) and Prosciutto San Daniele (from the Alto Adige).

I don't think of cheese as deli food.

i couldnt believe it took so long for someone to mention prosciutto....i dont get it often because its pricey, but its def my favorite....actually, the good deli by me has many different types ranging from $9/lb up to $30lb

as for my everyday sandwiches, i usually go for honey turkey, honey ham, or buffalo spiced chicken....if im splurging (healthy wise), hard salami, pastrami (even turkey pastrami) or corned beef....sometimes the places near me have really good homemade turkey - a bit dryer, but very tasty

as for brands, Boars Head whenever possible please....the majority of their products really are better than everything else

this is slightly off topic, but a deli near me (in queens, ny actually) makes knish sandwiches...they slice the knish in half, stuff it with the meat other stuff, then panini the entire thing....im yet to try it, but my friend has been there a few times and said its amazing....i think his had rare roast beef, caramelized onions, blue cheese, and maybe some apricot jam....you are probably full for a week after something like that

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom