What's Your Favorite Deli Meat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I'm asking about the various meats you buy at a deli counter for whatever use.

I'm not asking about your favorite sandwich.

Consider actual cuts of meat like roast beef or corned beef or pastrami, etc. Also consider processed meats/sausages like mortadella, salamis and more.

My favorite is Genoa Salami. I can eat it in a sandwich, as part of an antipasto, in a stuffing, omelet, etc.

What's yours??

In my town is a lovely family-owned Italian deli that's been going for many generations. So many wonderful creations that I find it difficult to leave. It's also an excellent place to buy superb balsamic vinegar, though at a price.

Last time at the store there was a sale on Butterball Mesquite Turkey breast. It is so moist and flavorful. The best I've ever had! My new favorite. Next in line is black forest ham.

I like TurkeyPastrami the best...adding melted swiss cheese and quality mustard on rye makes the BEST sandwich (sorry Andy but rules are made to be broken they say :angel:).

Any "BoarsHead" brand deli-meats are my favorites. They contain no fillers, gluten, artificial colors, flavors or trans fat. They use pure beef, pork and poultry, and real spices. Their ham is trimmed by hand the old-fashioned way, and their turkey and chicken is oven roasted

Andy I have to give you two, prosciutto, and mortadella with pistashios.
kades

It all depends on where I am buying it from. If we are talking number one choice from anywhere then it would be pastrami from Katz's Deli in NY. There is nothing that can even compare. If I am eating a a deli other than Katz's then it would be corned beef. If I am buying from a supermarket then it would either be some sort of turkey or Genoa salami.

Do you like turkey pastrami better than the traditional beef pastrami?
It depends on quality. If it was the best traditional pastrami you ever tasted (tender, flavorful, and meaty...where it melts in your mouth...hard to find that quality) then I would pick the traditional in a heartbeat. Our Harris Teeter deli doesn't carry the quality traditional pastrami I speak of.

:cry: I want a REAL deli!!! NOT a supermarket counter!!!:(

(Pout... sigh... sniff) But to choose, Boarshead Smoked Pastrami has the most flavor for my taste.

Back
Top Bottom