"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Favorite Ethnic Food Category
Italian 4 16.00%
Chinese 3 12.00%
French 0 0%
Other Asian 4 16.00%
Southern USA 2 8.00%
German 0 0%
Mexican 8 32.00%
Other Caribbean/South/Central American 0 0%
Any Other 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-2018, 04:01 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

What's Your Favorite Ethnic food Category?

What's your favorite ethnic food aside from the one you grew up with?

I've created major categories in the interest of brevity so feel free to elaborate in a post after you vote.

Old 05-20-2018, 04:37 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Absolutely - Mexican - I could eat it three times a day/seven days a week. Beans, beef/chicken, along the border food, although I would like to try other regions of Mexico. I guess I am really a Tex-Mex fan.

Old 05-20-2018, 04:45 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I like Mexican, I voted Mexican.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:55 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I Chose Chinese primarily because , by far, when we go out, thats usually what we get. Also, for the last 30 years I've had an addiction to hot and sour soup. I get it at least once a week.

That being said, Indian is a close second. Due to the intense and unique spices, i dont eat it as frequently. But, its unusualness ( of thats a word) is what draws me to it. Each time I get a new dish, its like tasting something completely new, with nothing to compare it too.

I have been branching out to other Asian foods ( Korean, Vietnamese, Thai, Burmese...). Although I like them a lot, I haven't experienced enough variety yet to claim them as my favorite.

Italian is probably what I cook at home the most. I grow a lot of tomatoes, and got to use them somehow. Im still working on last years batch. I froze over 40 quarts of strained tomato puree.

Being vegetarian, and my wife ( now recently turning vegan), restricts me from really experiencing some cuisines. Therefore, I have to concentrate on those that I can really get a decent variety of flavors.
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:05 PM   #5
Master Chef

Interesting and fun poll, Andy!

Being a native of the southwest, Mexican was definitely the first to come to mind. Love, love, love it - and I never get tired of it.

edited* I didn't really grow up with Mexican food, but in my adult life have discovered a passion for Mexican inspired dishes.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:20 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Being born in Virginia and raised in Michigan, and having lived in Virginia again for the past 33 years, naturally my favorite ethnic food is - Mexican! I have developed a taste for heat since I was a kid and, while I also love Italian and Thai, I really gravitate to Mexican
Old 05-20-2018, 05:35 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Mexican! Love it all, from TexMex to the Yucatan and beyond!
Old 05-20-2018, 06:33 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Indian, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Italian (is that ethnic?), in no particular order. Oh, and Cajun/Creole, tho I’m not sure that qualifies as “ethnic, either. I end up making Mexican food a lot, or what passes for it here in America. It’s cheap, and the ingredients are readily available, but it’s not my favorite, not even on the list.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:16 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I picked Mexican for the poll, mostly because we do it most often. I'm also quite fond of Caribbean foods. Actually I just like food, so trying to really pick one off the list as a favorite was impossible, so I just went with the ethnic type that we eat most often.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:20 PM   #10
Executive Chef

When it comes to holiday baking, I choose Scandinavian. Probably based on the foods I was brought up with, Norwegian on my dad's side and then my Danish grandma and her two sisters, one who claimed she was Swedish and the other Norwegian. How they thought they were different despite their same parents, is a hilarious mystery, But then they argued about everything, even into their 80's.

Therefore, sidestepping that, I choose Mexican. Logic.

Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ethnic, food