Whats your favorite side dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
I absolutely love roasted asparagus with EVOO, garlic, S & P and Peaches & Cream Corn on the Cob.......when they are in season. I can eat these 2 till I'm almost sick to my stomach from fullness :)

It depends on what the main meal is - I like, no love, creamy and/or cheesy potatoes as well as vegetables as well as I like steamed veggies - especially asparagus and artichokes. Tomatoes with mozzarella and basil is a favorite of mine, too.

ironchef said:
Sauteed mushrooms.

Ohhhh I love these too. I haven't found a mushroom I don't like.

Michelemarie......I haven't tried the Tom/Moz/Basil combination yet. However, I am def. planning on trying this with my tomatoes I have growing.

I love roasted vegetables of any type it seems...roma tomatoes with basil and garlic, asparagus, squash, potatoes, leeks, fennel etc etc

Cheesey things too

and dark sauteed greens with bacon and garlic

and beans of any type

and...we call them sides why??

Last edited:
Robo410 said:
I love roated vegetables of any type it seems...roma tomatoes with basil and garlic, asparagus, squash, potatoes, leeks, fennel etc etc

Cheesey things too

and dark sauteed greens with bacon and garlic

and beans of any type

and...we call them sides why??

I'd say because the meat is center stage and all the other fixings are put to the side ???????????

My favorite side dish is potatoes...fixed any way. Last night, my husband took leftover baked potatoes, cut them into wedges, and fried in olive oil until crusty and crispy. They are so good!
Baked, mashed, fried, braised, oven roasted, scalloped...you name it.
I never met a potato I didn't like.

Well, I actually did once. I had some scalloped "Italian" potatoes in a restaurant that had fennel in them, and that anise flavor is something I find quite unpleasant.

There are so many to choose a favorite, but since it is getting almost to that time of year will go with baked stuffed zucchini.

For this like oversized zucchini, the ones you usually don't want because they are too large. The small ones just do not work here.

Halve the long way and scoop out most of the pulp. Reserve the shell.

Sautee onions, peppers, the pulp with diced jalapenos (or any hot pepper) and some garlic, add bread crumbs (seasoned is fine). Add some eggs to bind and hot pepper sauce, black pepper, and other spices as you will, depending upon the bread crumbs used and your preference. Add a bunch of grated Parmesan, stuff back into the zucchs, top with some more cheese and a splash of hot sauce if you want, and bake.

The hot stuff can be varied according to your taste. We like a zing, but made the way we do it is not what we would call hot at all. And we are not chile heads, believe me.

We do not usually add salt, the hot sauce usually provides plenty for us.
But always give the stuffing a taste before cooking to check for seasoning (can do it before adding the raw egg if you prefer).

Usually just wing the amounts, depending upon the size of the zucchs and the amount of water produced.

The stuffing should be about the consistency of that you would stuff into the turkey.

If we can get 8 inch zucchinis, or larger, will make them, cut the halves into halves again (one quater of a zuchh) and serve as the main dish maybe with a tomato salad as a side.

A side as a main dish with another side.

Something we look forward to each year.

auntdot said:
There are so many to choose a favorite, but since it is getting almost to that time of year will go with baked stuffed zucchini.

For this like oversized zucchini, the ones you usually don't want because they are too large. The small ones just do not work here.

Halve the long way and scoop out most of the pulp. Reserve the shell.

Sautee onions, peppers, the pulp with diced jalapenos (or any hot pepper) and some garlic, add bread crumbs (seasoned is fine). Add some eggs to bind and hot pepper sauce, black pepper, and other spices as you will, depending upon the bread crumbs used and your preference. Add a bunch of grated Parmesan, stuff back into the zucchs, top with some more cheese and a splash of hot sauce if you want, and bake.

The hot stuff can be varied according to your taste. We like a zing, but made the way we do it is not what we would call hot at all. And we are not chile heads, believe me.

We do not usually add salt, the hot sauce usually provides plenty for us.
But always give the stuffing a taste before cooking to check for seasoning (can do it before adding the raw egg if you prefer).

Usually just wing the amounts, depending upon the size of the zucchs and the amount of water produced.

The stuffing should be about the consistency of that you would stuff into the turkey.

This sounds wonderful auntdot......we'll def. be trying these this season....thanks!

If we can get 8 inch zucchinis, or larger, will make them, cut the halves into halves again (one quater of a zuchh) and serve as the main dish maybe with a tomato salad as a side.

A side as a main dish with another side.

Something we look forward to each year.

These sound wonderful auntdot! We'll def. be trying them this season.....thanks!!!

So very hard to pick just one! But I'd say that really well made duchess potates are pretty high up on my list. Brown sugar carrots are also wonderful, as is homemade apple sauce.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom