What's your favorite vinegar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Addie, do you mean caprese?

The colors are representative of the Italian flag!

Last edited:
HMMMMMMMMMMM I have on hand:
red wine
white wine
balsamic
malt
apple cider
chianti
champagne
rice wine
white distilled

I have cloudberry, sherry, grapefruit, pomegranate, black cherry, bing cherry with black pepper, raspberry, strawberry, dark chocolate, espresso, blackberry, tarragon, cider, rice, black Chinese vinegar, malt, red wine, balsamic (white and red), blood orange, distilled, blueberry, rosemary, rosemary and lavender vinegar, mango vinegar, and maple vinegar. I probably have overlooked some. I have a cabinet that holds just vinegars.

My mother had a large cruet with apple cider vinegar in it and it had a very large Mother in it. My mother cherished that cruet of vinegar. And I wish I had it today. Apple cider vinegar is the only kind I like. Although I had a malt vinegar when I was out west and I too liked it on fish and FF.

I also like rice vinegar. It is a lot less strong. I find some vinegars just too harsh.

I am one of those who love vinegar on spinach and cabbage. It is perfect for a New England boiled dinner. :angel:
My hub likes mustard with corned beef and cabbage. I think the vinegar brings out/enhances the flavor of the corned beef. I make shredded cabbage salad dressed with my oil/vinegar/spices and that also brings out the flavor of the corned beef (I like mustard on a hot corned beef sammie not corned beef and cabbage.

I buy Balsamic vinegar and age it, red and white wine vinegar and age them, sherry vinegar likewise. The ageing makes them far less sharp and they develop a very good flavour. I have been doing this for at least ten years, and they all age very well. New wine vinegar is too sharp for me, and I always use a fresh lemon if I want that kind of sharpness - it seems to be less aggressive with fresh lemons than with new wine vinegar!

Nothing is ever as good as a feast (Oscar Wilde)

Di reston

I buy Balsamic vinegar and age it, red and white wine vinegar and age them, sherry vinegar likewise. The ageing makes them far less sharp and they develop a very good flavour. I have been doing this for at least ten years, and they all age very well. New wine vinegar is too sharp for me, and I always use a fresh lemon if I want that kind of sharpness - it seems to be less aggressive with fresh lemons than with new wine vinegar!

Di reston
That's interesting. I wouldn't have thought that aging it in the bottle would work, but you have tried it and it obviously does work. How long do you age your vinegars?

Di reston

Just how do you go about aging vinegar? I would also love to be able to grow a Mother without having to purchase a starter. :angel:

I buy litre bottles, and put them down in our wine cellar to mature just like you would a good vintage wine. I have never been able to persuade any of my neighbours who produce vinegar from their own grapes to give me a piece of 'mother', but as the vinegar I buy is not sterilised, it ages well. The four year-old is particularly good.

Nothing is ever as good as a feast ( Oscar Wilde)

di reston

I love vinegar. I made a whole bunch a year ago August. And then I got into this vinegar grove.... I also have one from the Caribbean that has hot peppers, etc. in it. Love it.

I had to go to a cheese shop that specializes in local artisan cheeses yesterday (across the bridge in Gatineau). Of course the shop also carries hard-to-find vinegars. (I was so glad to have a GPS--I get lost when I cross one of the bridges). I picked up a larger bottle of maple vinegar and a pricey bottle of yuzu rice vinegar. I was introduced to yuzu juice through a recipe by one of the Chefs whose recipes I test drive for the home cook. I am thinking about what to do with it...That upped the number of different vinegars I have.

Last edited:
Move over Dark chocolate balsamic vinegar, there is is a new bottle in town. I LOVE the maple balsamic vinegar I picked up today. I have 2 other maple vinegars, but this one is to die for. Any Ottawa area folks, drop by Unrefined Olive and get a bottle of the maple vinegar (and the dark chocolate balsamic).

Back
Top Bottom