What's your favorite vinegar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I am soooo totally in love with dark chocolate balsamic vinegar. It is good on fruit. In a vinaigrette for a spring fresh spinach salad with strawberries and toasted almonds, especially when making the vinaigrette using bacon marmalade and homemade strawberry jam. What is your favourite vinegar and how do you use it? (My 2nd favorite is espresso balsamic vinegar--it really compliments fresh greens in a salad).

I grew up with a cruet of apple cider vinegar on the table.

It still suits my old fashioned frumpy style of cooking. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I always add a splash to soups, use it on salads and still drizzle it over baked beans the way my grandparents did.

We've been getting it from a specialty shop lately, and we have just 2 so far. The one is plain balsamic vinegar, aged 18 years, and the second is a maple balsamic that is really quite good. Both have made me realize just how bad the grocery store balsamic was.

I grew up with Heinz apple cider vinegar. I still like it.

My favorites that I use the most are red wine vinegar and rice wine vinegar.

I once used vinegar much more than I do now.

Now days, I'd rather pick a Meyer lemon from our tree for the fresh factor.

I can relate Bea..ACV always did it for me growing up.

I do think that I'll never be without a bottle of rice wine vinegar in the pantry, along with white balsamic vinegar (from TJ's) I use so often in my marinade for grilled vegetables.

For most things cider vinegar is my go to vinegar. For French fries, malt vinegar is the best. I also like and use white & red wine vinegar and balsamic. I have some pomegranate balsamic, but I haven't found anything where it shines. One of these days I have to try rice vinegar.

In the mustard thread I TOLD you all not to ask about vinegar!!!

I currently have 17. Hard to pick a favorite, but at the moment I use a lot of sherry vinegar.

I also have a chocolate balsamic. It's fabulous over poached pears,

Last edited:
I have in the pantry, both red and white wine, Heinz apple cider and Bragg's apple cider, plain white vinegar, as well as the 2 balsamic vinegars that I mentioned above.

My mother had a large cruet with apple cider vinegar in it and it had a very large Mother in it. My mother cherished that cruet of vinegar. And I wish I had it today. Apple cider vinegar is the only kind I like. Although I had a malt vinegar when I was out west and I too liked it on fish and FF.

I also like rice vinegar. It is a lot less strong. I find some vinegars just too harsh.

I am one of those who love vinegar on spinach and cabbage. It is perfect for a New England boiled dinner. :angel:

Mmm. Those Canadian fries from the Chip Truck, and their malt vinegar. :yum:

I have white, balsamic, rice wine, cider, tarragon, red wine, white wine. I need to get some sherry and champaigne vinegars.

Probably my favorite is balsamic, though white is my go-to for cleaning just about anything. The chocolate balsamic interests me.

Last edited:
I'd have to go downstairs to be sure of all the vinegars I have. I am a vinegar fiend! :LOL: My favorite is red wine vinegar. I also have white wine, sherry, apple cider, white distilled, malt, rice, Chinese black, aged balsamic, white balsamic, strawberry balsamic (great on chocolate ice cream), dark chocolate balsamic (macerated strawberries in it for shortcake), and fig balsamic (good in a salad with delicate greens like butter lettuce and fresh and dried fruit). There may be more but that's all I can remember right now.

Last edited:
It depends... I like any number of vinegars, each has its own uses.
Apple cider vinegar for coleslaw.
White distilled vinegar for meatball subs.
Rice wine vinegar for sweet and sour sauce.
A local winery's balsamic for dipping.
Red wine vinegar for salad dressing.
Malt vinegar for fish.
There's no deciding here... ALL OF THEM!

I'm not a big fan of vinegar, but I fell in love with Balsamic vinegar. I love it over sliced tomatoes and basil.

Of course, I ended up with several other vinegars, but don't really use them. I have rice vinegar, but don't know where or how I'd use it. White vinegar might get used, but probably for cleaning!:ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
I just looked, and I've got rice vinegar, red wine, white wine, apple cider, balsamic, and part of a gallon of white that also mainly gets used for cleaning. :)

I use the rice vinegar most, I can never be without that. Mainly for vinaigrettes, but I also use the red wine vinegar for that, too.

I currently have white wine, red wine, white distilled, malt, & apple cider vinegars.

Need to get more balsamic & tarragon as I love those too.

Each have their own uses. :)

I forgot to mention tarragon vinegar, but we make that ourselves with cider vinegar.

I have two kinds of white vinegar. One is made from grain alcohol. It's for the almost-never-happens-off-chance that Stirling wants it for something. I also have the regular white vinegar, made from alcohol made from petroleum products. That stuff only gets used for cleaning, including cleaning drains.

Here's a little more about rice vinegar. It's less acidic than other vinegars, and slightly sweeter. I love it mixed with sugar (or substitute) to taste, as a dressing for paper thin white onion and hothouse cucumber slices. The mandolin is perfect for this. Sometimes I also add white pepper and dried dill. This salad is almost always in our refrigerator.

Here's a little more about rice vinegar. It's less acidic than other vinegars, and slightly sweeter. I love it mixed with sugar (or substitute) to taste, as a dressing for paper thin white onion and hothouse cucumber slices. The mandolin is perfect for this. Sometimes I also add white pepper and dried dill. This salad is almost always in our refrigerator.

Love this stuff! I've started cooking salmon specifically to chunk up in salads with the rice-wine pickled onions and cucumbers mixed in. So good.

Italians have a salad called Celebrase. Made with sliced tomato, Moz. cheese and a basil leaf. The seasoning is salt, cracked pepper and a good olive oil. Then you top it off with a good balsamic vinegar. I use the rice vinegar instead. I use rice vinegar for all salad foods. It is just milder and easier on the palate. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom