What's your newest discovery?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kathleen

Cupcake
Summer time is always a time for culinary exploration for me. Recently my friend introduced me to a Crab Senegalese soup that was simply delicious. It had butter, minced sweet onion, lime, chicken broth, a bit of honey, yellow curry, and fresh cut corn. Once cooked for a short time, the ingredients were chilled. An hour before serving, she stirred in half and half and lump crab meat. She garnished with with a sprig of mint and parsley. She served it with salad and fresh crusty bread. The meal was refreshing and wonderful on a hot summer evening. Needless to say, I've begged the recipe and made it at home almost immediately as my latest discovery. The beauty of the soup is that it will wait nicely for serving. Also, it can be served hot or cold.

So what have you discovered lately? New ingredient? New recipe? Please share!

~Kathleen

Crab Senegalese Soup

Saute 3 tablespoons of minced onion in 1 tablespoon of butter until soft. Add a tablespoon of regular flour and a tablespoon of yellow curry and saute another minute or two. Add 32 ounces of chicken stock, the juice of one lime, and two tablespoons of honey and stir. Add the corn from two ears of corn and bring to a soft boil. Simmer for five minutes and refrigerate for several hours to blend the flavors. An hour before serving, stir in a cup of crab meat and 2/3 cup of half-n-half. Garnish with mint or parsley...or both.

So easy and very yummy. Can be served hot or cold.

Saute 3 tablespoons of minced onion in 1 tablespoon of butter until soft. Add a tablespoon of regular flour and a tablespoon of yellow curry and saute another minute or two. Add 32 ounces of chicken stock, the juice of one lime, and two tablespoons of honey and stir. Add the corn from two ears of corn and bring to a soft boil. Simmer for five minutes and refrigerate for several hours to blend the flavors. An hour before serving, stir in a cup of crab meat and 2/3 cup of half-n-half. Garnish with mint or parsley...or both.

Thank you, I am going to make this soon.

Kathleen do you think I could use the fat free half n half???

Mimi - I don't see why not. It supposedly works with milk. If it is horrible, let me know. :rolleyes:

MollyAnne - That sounds SO good. I love milkshakes. I tried to make a strawberry milkshake with frozen strawberries, milk, and sweetener. It was not as good as I had hoped it would be though. Have you any suggestions?

~Kathleen

MollyAnne - That sounds SO good. I love milkshakes. I tried to make a strawberry milkshake with frozen strawberries, milk, and sweetener. It was not as good as I had hoped it would be though. Have you any suggestions?
Don't use frozen strawberries...they're more flavorful when they're thawed or fresh. But do use a few ice cubes or the frozen milk cubes along with the strawberries (to add thickness and chill you get from icecream), some extra sweetener, and maybe even a little vanilla because strawberry icecream probably has some vanilla in it. I read somewhere that you can freeze milk (use icecube trays).

my newest discoveries are kinda gross. but they're new! (gotta think outside the icebox)

one is a little balsamic vinegar can help hide the taste of old meat.

and old skim milk gets kinda creamy before it smells bad.

bad chocolate is better than good lima beans.

just discovered hot to make my own soft pretzels at home. I don't want to go to work.

Making a cake for a local meeting, I decided on German chocolate. Since I like the frosting all over the cake, I was thinking of something different for the middle. I decided on a cream cheese frosting. Then sweetie pie looked up a common recipe and said how about adding coffee? 3 oz. cream cheese, 1 T. milk, 2 1/2 c.powdered sugar, dash of salt, 1 T. instant coffee, and 1 t. vanilla. Outstanding. Knocked their socks off. .

A few months old discovery for me, but I am enjoying adding Caprese (mozzarella, basil and tomatoes) to just about anything. I want to know why I didn't EVER buy fresh mozzarella before...love the stuff!

PrincessFiona, I also love the fresh mozzarella....especially with basil and tomatoes. I found some at CostCo made with buffalo milk. YUM!

Phil - Frank would love that filling. Coffee addict, yanno. :)

~Kathleen

princess fi, if you can find it, buy some fresh bufala mozzarella. it's amazing stuff.

unfortunately, it loses a lot within a few days of when it's made. but the fresh mozz made with water buffalo milk is a religious experience in an insalata caprese.

i am thinking the mandolin i had in cupboard forever. i finally mastered my fear of it. had beautiful purple onion and cream cheese on rye sandwich for lunch yesterday. couple days before did white onions to grill for patty melt. i been looking at scalloped potato recipes, think that is next. gonna use for onion for my pasta salad for fourth , slice and chop em up. much better that chunks of onion.

Back
Top Bottom