"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 04-18-2010, 07:40 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
not until my forties, do i feel i really began to cook. i cooked before that of course but for meat potatoes people. now i cook anything i want and have a huge choice that way. have become a from scratch baker when i feel the urge. not if i don't. i love thinking about, planning, buying and preparing many kinds of dishes.

"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:32 PM   #12
Head Chef
While i was in college. First time living away from home, newly married, my wife hated cooking. Both watching cooking shows and the actual cooking itself was a great way to reduce the stress level of being a student. Back then, no food network, just the pbs cooking shows ( Jeff Smith, Yan Can Cook, Julia Child, Jacques Pepin..... I would study and watch these shows at the same time, often writing down the recipes on the sides of my notes or text books ( still there today 20 years later, along with the grocery lists of things id need). Weekends Id go to the Italian market ( philly), stock up on ingredients, and spend all day sunday cooking and studying. When I finally graduated, cooking remained a big part of my life. Im often watching cooking shows ( preferably pbs-like shows, attending food and wine festivals and book signings to see and sample things from the chefs ive known or watched or own their books. And finally, it looks like this year will be the year i finally get my kitchen redone.

larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:13 AM   #13
Head Chef
It is really nice to hear the stories from all of you.. Keep them coming, they are all so interesting...
A woman is like a tea bag, you never no how strong she is until you put her in hot water...
Mimizkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:42 PM   #14
Sous Chef
My sister gave me a cookery book one Christmas. After I tried out some of the receipes, I was amazed that my food started tasting as good as the food in restaurants.

Then, travelling gave me the inspiration to try new and exotic things. When I had a few years of money troubles, and a new baby, I decided to learn how to cook food from around the world, because I no longer had the money or freedom to go around the world sampling it. If I could not be in far off exotic places, at least I could taste them, in my own home.
Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:03 PM   #15
Assistant Cook
2001: I see a guy on TV making asian spicy chicken thighs. I see what he was using and thought "hey , I ahev thoe things here. What the heck". I did them and it came out okay. The family of course thought it was great (liars). I made thighs again a couple of days later but changed up a couple of things. It actually came out very good. I tried a couple of more things afterwards and I was hooked. Till present..
Jay16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:19 PM   #16
Head Chef
I sort of started doing a couple dishes here and there when I was on my own after college.
When I got married, I started to explore food and cooking a bit more. Started to subscribe to food magazines in the '80's. In addition, my job has given me the opportunity to travel to a lot of places with "unusual" cuisines, by American standards. I've always amazed my political or business hosts by eating and relishing just about everything put in front of me.

My interest in food and cooking really started taking off in the '90's, and has become a full-blown passion in the last few years. I've had a few passions in my life, including music (keyboards, guitar), golf, among others, but none currently surpass my love of cooking. My only gripe is that I don't have enough time to indulge in it as much as I would like.

I am fortunate enough to live in a place (Seattle) that has an incredible assortment of sources for world-wide ingredients. And seafood of every imaginable type.
qmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:50 PM   #17
Senior Cook
I've been slowly learning to love cooking over the past 15 years. The previous 35 years were meat and potatoes cooking ( which is what I grew up with)
I meet my wife while living in Atlanta 15 years ago. She was at the time just my roommate in the apartment I rented and she knew she liked me so she started cooking "something different" for dinner almost every night. I guess it worked.
I started grilling all the time after that, but was still mostly meat and potatoes, and my wife still did most of the cooking.
Then I got hooked on "Top Chef" and "Iron Chef" and started to expand my palette.
I should say that I'm a baker by trade and I used to run my own bakery, but now I work in a corporate retail bakery, so creativity is non-existent.
Burrowing Owl Brewery----Better things for better living...Through Debauchery and Inebriation
niquejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #18
Master Chef
When I discover that telling people that their food doesn't taaste as good as my mom's, doesn't seat well with majority, I realised I'll have to start cooking my self.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:39 PM   #19
Senior Cook
Somehow only half of my post showed up
After starting homebrewing beer about 4 years ago I realized the creating aspect was more than half the fun, and cooking gives me a (almost)daily chance to create somthing new ( tonight I'm tired so it's hot dogs and beans( I said almost)).
I've really became hooked within the past year after eating the 7 course tasting menu at Victoria & Albert's | Walt Disney World Resort

From there it has become a passion, so much so that my wife rarely cooks anymore
Burrowing Owl Brewery----Better things for better living...Through Debauchery and Inebriation
niquejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:15 AM   #20
I was 12 years old and my grandma teach me in summer ... i learned a lot of tricks and she gives me the passion for cooking

People who wanna enjoy eating easy & delicious!
Only 2 recipes per day 100% update
2day2eat is offline   Reply With Quote