"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #31
Senior Cook

25 people for New Years Eve and I made molten chocolate cake for the first time...it was wonderful

Old 01-01-2011, 07:30 PM   #32
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by niquejim View Post
25 people for New Years Eve and I made molten chocolate cake for the first time...it was wonderful

Did you share the recipe????? With US, I mean!

Old 01-02-2011, 02:36 AM   #33
Master Chef

A week ago and the egg nog came out perfect, for the first time ever. Also mad Nanaimo bars for the first time two weeks back and substituted hazelnuts for the almonds.

Mad a short cut version of egg nog for New Years Eve with sugar free vanilla ice cream, nutmeg and good vanilla. It was pretty darned tasty.

Made chicken liver pate, also for New Year's Eve. Every time I make it, it's different as I make it about once a year, and never from a recipe. It comes out pretty good though, and the person I make it for loves it.

I try something new, or a new way of making something almost weekly. It's what I do. I've never found a recipe that I can't mess around with, or a technique that I can't alter, sometimes for the better, sometimes I shoulda stayed in bed.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:19 AM   #34
Assistant Cook

I made tandoori chicken from scratch for dinner tonight. I think it would have been much tastier had I let it marinade overnight, but it was kinda spur of the moment so it only sat in the marinade for an hour.
Served it up with some basmati rice, cucumbers in minted yogurt and made some "naan bread" by brushing flour tortillas with garlic oil and coriander then warming them up on a hot skillet. Everyone loved it! I LOVE COOKING!!
Old 01-02-2011, 05:26 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanks to the good people here at DC, I make something new every week or so. There are so many good ideas here.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:38 PM   #36
Master Chef

I havn't made anything new in years at this point. Every time I go to cook, someone wants one of the things I've made and they love. Seriously, every time I go to a party, everyone wants certain appetizers I make, so I don't try anything new. Ditto dinners. I'm not big on deserts, but when I do, everyone wants "claire's boozy trifle". When I tell hubby I'm going to try something different, his response is, "But, Claire, we all want ...."

Making an entirely new, from a recipe, dish, for the most part, does not work for a family of two. I try new things, but not new recipes, because I'm not good at math. I mean, seriously, I'm not stupid, but what is one half of one third of a cup. Don't tell me, it will make me feel stupid.

I try new ideas often, new products, etc. But I have a huge library of cookbooks that I'm going to start divesting. I hate to get rid of them, but new ideas in cooking ... well, whenever I want to try something different ....
Old 01-02-2011, 10:50 PM   #37
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I havn't made anything new in years at this point. Every time I go to cook, someone wants one of the things I've made and they love. Seriously, every time I go to a party, everyone wants certain appetizers I make, so I don't try anything new. Ditto dinners. I'm not big on deserts, but when I do, everyone wants "claire's boozy trifle". When I tell hubby I'm going to try something different, his response is, "But, Claire, we all want ...."

Making an entirely new, from a recipe, dish, for the most part, does not work for a family of two. I try new things, but not new recipes, because I'm not good at math. I mean, seriously, I'm not stupid, but what is one half of one third of a cup. Don't tell me, it will make me feel stupid.

I try new ideas often, new products, etc. But I have a huge library of cookbooks that I'm going to start divesting. I hate to get rid of them, but new ideas in cooking ... well, whenever I want to try something different ....
No it won't. But if you really don't want to know how to figure it out...because I don't know, either, but I'm willing to find out. It's a pretty simple method.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:42 AM   #38
Assistant Cook

i cooked for the first time ever a beef stroganoff...oh boy it was delicious...recommend that any one should try this one i they havent yet!! i used red wine, garlic, bit of fresh chilli (coz i love it) mushrooms, red onion, doulbe pouring cream and lean top side steak!! mmmmmwah!

my partner makes excellent steak dijon(sorry for spelling) sauce, he did it the first time and now cant stop making it!
Old 01-03-2011, 08:46 AM   #39
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy213 View Post
I made tandoori chicken from scratch for dinner tonight. I think it would have been much tastier had I let it marinade overnight, but it was kinda spur of the moment so it only sat in the marinade for an hour.
Served it up with some basmati rice, cucumbers in minted yogurt and made some "naan bread" by brushing flour tortillas with garlic oil and coriander then warming them up on a hot skillet. Everyone loved it! I LOVE COOKING!!

jus read this one and now i am going to do that this week!!! uv made me hungry....

:)

fish
Old 01-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #40
Head Chef

After many, many years of cooking I finally made a pimento cheese. Dh wanted some and couldn't find it in the store. Nothing hard about it but I think it needs a little more flavor and can't decide what the flavor is that is missing.