"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-08-2011, 12:11 AM   #61
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.mom View Post
Today I am making tanduri chicken. I got the recipe from my mom, but I think I'm gonna add some minced garlic and ginger powder to the marinate. I think it will taste nice. Wish me luck.
Please post the recipe. I've heard of Tanduri chicken, but have no clue what it's like, except ginger and garlic, and that part sounds really good. I've got a nice hunk of ginger. I need inspiration.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:18 AM   #62
Senior Cook

Recipe for tanduri chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Please post the recipe. I've heard of Tanduri chicken, but have no clue what it's like, except ginger and garlic, and that part sounds really good. I've got a nice hunk of ginger. I need inspiration.
Ingredients:
· 8 pieces of chicken, skinless drumsticks or breasts
· ½ cup yogurt
· 1 tablespoon butter
· Juice of 1 lemon
· 1 tablespoon red chili powder
· 1 tablespoon coriander
· 1 tablespoon ginger powder
· 1 tablespoon cumin
· 3 garlic cloves, minced
· ½ tablespoon mustard
· Pinch of saffron
· 1 teaspoon Tanduri chicken powder
· Salt and pepper to taste
Preparation:
· In a medium sized bowl, mix all the ingredients except the chicken until you get a smooth paste.
· Place the chicken in a large oven tray. Apply the sauce to the chicken and coat each piece carefully.
· Cover the tray and leave to marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
· Pre-heat the oven at 250oc.
· Apply melted butter to the chicken just before grilling.
· Grill for 30 min. or until done, turning the pieces occasionally.
· Serve with onion and lemon slices.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:24 AM   #63
Senior Cook

I have made chili perhaps 40 times or more. We like chili around here when its cold. My DH likes his plain w/saltines, whereas, me & the kids like it with cheese, a dollop of sour cream, & tortillia chips. Big whop - right??
Well, my DH likes his chili to be more like baby food "warm"..I always kid him on it...I, personally, think that its not a decent chili unless it makes your nose a bit runny. About 2 weeks ago, I made a chili that made me cry..not because it was so freaking good,..but...because it was too hot - as licking the sun on the brightest of days hot. Suprised that I still have a tounge left actually!!
It was that darned cayenne pepper to what messed my lot up. I finally found it...(had been secretly thinking that my DH had thrown it away on me)..turned out, that-nope-he didn't, it just got lost in the pantry. So, when I found the container, of course I was happy, &, must have gone "shake-a-shake-a-shake-a" crazy...this crap wound up being so fricking HOT that, I was sure that the crock pot would have been melted too along w/it!!
So, there you have it...my UNSUCCESFUL Chili attempt!! I created fire that day though!! LOL
Old 01-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #64
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight_Merlot View Post
I have made chili perhaps 40 times or more. We like chili around here when its cold. My DH likes his plain w/saltines, whereas, me & the kids like it with cheese, a dollop of sour cream, & tortillia chips. Big whop - right??
Well, my DH likes his chili to be more like baby food "warm"..I always kid him on it...I, personally, think that its not a decent chili unless it makes your nose a bit runny. About 2 weeks ago, I made a chili that made me cry..not because it was so freaking good,..but...because it was too hot - as licking the sun on the brightest of days hot. Suprised that I still have a tounge left actually!!
It was that darned cayenne pepper to what messed my lot up. I finally found it...(had been secretly thinking that my DH had thrown it away on me)..turned out, that-nope-he didn't, it just got lost in the pantry. So, when I found the container, of course I was happy, &, must have gone "shake-a-shake-a-shake-a" crazy...this crap wound up being so fricking HOT that, I was sure that the crock pot would have been melted too along w/it!!
So, there you have it...my UNSUCCESFUL Chili attempt!! I created fire that day though!! LOL
I use Sriracha Sauce and Tobasco Sauce like ketchup. I use Cayenne (red) pepper with abandon. But I have a bottle of this stuff called Jamaica Hell Fire Hot Pepper Concentrate that is suposed to be mixed in the ratio of three parts water, one part concentrate. I made the mistake of using it straight up on some spanish rice one day. It litterally caused my taste buds to swell on my tongue. I've had the Dave's Insanity Sauce, the Liquid Stupid, and other hot sauces like them. But this one, it's wicked hot.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #65
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
I use Sriracha Sauce and Tobasco Sauce like ketchup. I use Cayenne (red) pepper with abandon. But I have a bottle of this stuff called Jamaica Hell Fire Hot Pepper Concentrate that is suposed to be mixed in the ratio of three parts water, one part concentrate. I made the mistake of using it straight up on some spanish rice one day. It litterally caused my taste buds to swell on my tongue. I've had the Dave's Insanity Sauce, the Liquid Stupid, and other hot sauces like them. But this one, it's wicked hot.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Old 01-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #66
Head Chef

My dh has that baby food mentality, or maybe it's just baby taste buds. I'd give anything if he would allow me to use just a drop or two of mild pepper sauce, but...nooooo. Oh well, he does have some good qualities.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:39 PM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
My DH made up a batch of breakfast sausage meat and we had the sausages with eggs and toast for breakfast today.

I was surprised. They were hot, good, but hot.

I mentioned that they were a bit hot for breakfast.

"I used cayenne, now that we have some."

"They got that hot from cayenne?"

"Well, cayenne, paprika, and black pepper."

"Did you use the hot paprika?"

"Of course. It didn't say which kind of paprika in your recipe."
Old 01-08-2011, 10:35 PM   #68
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Is that the whole recipe? It does sound good.

yep that's it. i did sprinkle each layer with lots of pepper, garlic powder and reg. paprika. the meat was so moist and the onion, apple pie combo was super.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:57 AM   #69
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I make a dish using tortillas and after folding in my ingredients, rub them with canola oil before placing in the oven. They brown/crisp quite nicely.
Easy idea. I like it. What time/temp did you use, please?

Old 01-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #70
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That's funny niquejim. I made garlic soup for the first time tonight too.

I used this recipe: Cream of Garlic Soup

I used mostly chicken stock, with some vegi stock. I added a 1/4 tsp of salt. I cooked the flour for a while before adding the milk and stock.

It was really good. Next time I will use a wooden spoon instead of a whisk. I will also add the flour much sooner than the recipe says, to cook the flour properly without risking over cooking the garlic. I don't want to risk a raw flour taste.
This turned out wonderful TL. The only change I made was to remove the garlic after getting it golden so I could take my time with the white sauce. Thanks for finding this. Your rave review is what inspired me to buy an extra head of garlic to try it out. I'm so glad I did.