"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-21-2010, 06:29 AM   #1
Sous Chef

When did you last try cooking something new? How did it turn out?

I made gnocchi. I am pleased and amazed that they actually turned out like they are supposed, rather than a pot full of watery potato mush.

I now feel very encouraged to take the step of making homemade pasta. I have been putting off making homemade gnocchi and pasta for a long time, thinking they would be complicated and take some trial and error.

It always seemed more sensible to buy readymade gnocchi and pasta until now. What encourages me about the pasta is that I dont need a pasta maker. Pasta shells can be made with fingers.

There used to be a time several years ago, when I was afraid to make bread. Now, I make great bread.

Mel

Mel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:20 AM   #2
Master Chef

If you can bake bread, then making pasta should be easy-peasy. D'ya know what my very hardest first dish was? I was maybe 15 and had to make gravy for the first time. My mom somehow (she was sick, that's why I was cooking supper) neglected to tell me that a slurry has to be made with COLD water. I wound up with something resembling ... well, lumps of goo. Luckily, Mom didn't believe in throwing anything away, and told me to take out the blender and all was well. And, luckily as well, Mom made my sisters wash the dishes, since there was extra because of my mistake (heck, none of them volunteered to make dinner!).

Old 12-21-2010, 08:23 AM   #3
Cook

Sometime we can also try new recipes by doing mistakes... for exeample droping a peanuts in an omelet... whet dit I do ? I add the packet in the omelet and it was really good :)
Old 12-21-2010, 09:01 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I tried to make hand rolled pasta for the first time. I followed the recipe for the dough, let it rest then rolled it out. I rolled it really thin (I thought it was thin). I then folded it over several times and sliced it into fettuccine and cooked it.

I made some Alfredo sauce for the noodles. The pasta turned out not great. I guess thin means REALLY REALLY thin, because the fettuccine was too thick and heavy as a result. I'll try again and keep shooting for thinner.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:04 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

The last time I tried something new was last week. I was looking for something new to do with ground turkey. I saw someone mention that it was good in Koenigsberger Klopse, which I had no idea what that was, so I Googled, found three internet recipes I liked bits and pieces of, combined them and went for it. And I'll be making it again. It was delicious.
Gnocchis scare me though. I've only recently graduated from frozen to the packaged fresh.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:36 AM   #6
Cook

I love this quote: "If it's good enough for my dog, it's good enough for me.
But he's fussy."
Old 12-21-2010, 09:38 AM   #7
Senior Cook

...just a few days ago!
Old 12-21-2010, 11:04 AM   #8
Senior Cook

A week ago, I have made a Chinese vegetables Spring rolls. And it turned out great!
Old 12-21-2010, 11:18 AM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'm always working on something new, even if it's just adding something to scrambled eggs I've never tried berfore. The downside of this, Shrek doesn't like change unless it's forced on him...so I have to coax him to just try it. He always seems to enjoy it and he's definitely not starving.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #10
Master Chef

Couple of days ago I tried to make Chachapuri, it is a Gergian recipe, Georgia as a country that is. I do not know how to describe, it is like a flat bread filled with cheeze inside and baked or fried. i did not have buttermilk, so I used yougurt, it was somewhat sweet, my wife liked it, I did not. Also i did not rolled it thin enough. I'll make my own buttermilk next time and try it again. It supposed to be really good. I make a pastry dough version of it and it is awesom.