"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-15-2011, 05:33 PM   #11
Sous Chef

First of all, I wanted to reiterate that the waiter is NOT going to get the short end of the stick in this situation. I already mentioned that.

It's more about being rushed through a meal. When is it okay to be rushed in a restaurant?

So, it sounds like if it's, say, a steakhouse, where the meal runs you $100 for 2 people, people are leaning toward it being okay to kind of rush you along. If it's fine dining and you're spending upwards of $200, $300 or more for the evening, then it's not okay to rush you along. Or maybe not that it's okay/not okay, but it can be expected/is not expected.

How much do you have to spend for them to let you have the table for the evening, though? Is it about how much you spend?

BTW, I'm not talking about places like Applebee's or Outback Steakhouse. Not chain restaurants that serve the freeze & fry foods. I realize that people probably are not going to choose that as a destination restaurant, anyway.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:39 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

When I used to have "date nights" and wanted to spend leisurely time in the dining room, rather than going to the lounge to continue our evening out, I would make a later reservation, in the 8:30 range. That way I figured they knew I was the last meal at that table. I have never felt rushed no matter where or when I ate though. That's just plain rude.
Wait, I take that back. If I am eating a late lunch and am inbetween shifts I've gotten that hurried service from the first shift waitress.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:52 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
It's more about being rushed through a meal. When is it okay to be rushed in a restaurant?
My answer is it's never ok to be rushed in a restaurant.....it's not only rude, but they will not get my return business, let alone generous tip. And by the way, I consider a $100 meal for two a date night.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:58 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post

So, it sounds like if it's, say, a steakhouse, where the meal runs you $100 for 2 people, people are leaning toward it being okay to kind of rush you along. If it's fine dining and you're spending upwards of $200, $300 or more for the evening, then it's not okay to rush you along. Or maybe not that it's okay/not okay, but it can be expected/is not expected.

You people are way out of my league.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:02 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
You people are way out of my league.
I was hoping that included the bar bill
Old 01-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

i won't gulp my food for anyone. especially if we are a large group with a huge bill. doesn't matter to me where we are. as a family we had thanksgiving at marie callendars. not only was the food just awful but they tried rushing us. brought dessert in the middle of main course. we stayed put and because of the food and the rush, didn't leave much of a tip. as far as restaurants go, i feel they are there to feed people. if they don't make enough money maybe they should re examine the food and service. i am a meanie huh?
Old 01-15-2011, 08:20 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Doesn't it also depend on how busy the restaurant is?
Old 01-15-2011, 09:31 PM   #18
Senior Cook

For special dinners that require reservations, since I'm the one making them, I will always ask if there is a time limit on the table and explain that it is a special occasion and we might be there a while. There is usually a good tip at the end, and I've never had problems with service or waitstaff. Of course, we don't eat out at reservation type restaraunts all that much - most of the time it's called - "Call ahead seating..." ;)
Old 01-15-2011, 10:23 PM   #19
Cupcake

It does not matter to me whether I'm at a fine restaurant or the local diner: I feel like the table is mine until I am ready to leave. That being said, I am a generous tipper when I linger if the staff continues to check on me and ensures I feel welcome to linger.

There have been times where we have gone to Sport's Bars to watch a game. We will have lunch/dinner and linger during the game. The meal is not especially expensive and I have tipped the cost of the bill before because the wait staff has made me feel it is fine to linger.

If I feel I am being treated rudely, I'll ask to see a manager. If I do not get satisfaction (which is exceptionally rare,) I will not return and will tell those I know about the experience.

I've never had an upscale restaurant rush me along except with the timing of the food. Frank has no issue asking them to slow things down or refusing the next course if they continue. Then...again, a word to the manager usually resolves the issue.

~Kathleen
Old 01-15-2011, 10:41 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
We often manage dinner times by ordering one course at a time.
This is the key. I do this as a matter of standard practice.

We'll order drinks and appetizers, and then I tell the waitstaff to return the menus/wine-list when we finish our appetizers. Naturally there is another pause while dinner is cleared before we order coffee and dessert. Same goes for a digestif... when the coffee is gone I order.