When dining out...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My mum always made up on the tip for any long stays in restaurants. She did this especially in the less expensive restaurants. She explained to us, when we were kids, that the wait staff could be making tips if someone else had the table, so she wanted to make sure it didn't cost them.

I have been known to tip the kitchen, too. Exemplary service and food is very well rewarded, often the price of our meal will be spent again if we are treated well.

I waitressed once for 1 week...never again, I couldn't stand it. But, I sure love working in the kitchens.

45-60 min in a restaurant ???

sure 3-4h is quite a lot unless you go an see Chef Bocuse, but in France we stay in a casual restaurant at least for 1h-1h30

I have been known to tip the kitchen, too. Exemplary service and food is very well rewarded, often the price of our meal will be spent again if we are treated well.

I waitressed once for 1 week...never again, I couldn't stand it. But, I sure love working in the kitchens.

As mentioned earlier, I have tipped the price of my meal or more when lingering for an excessive amount of time. I make sure my waiter or waitress is always taken care of if they have given me good service. That being said, if there is a mandatory tip, the waiter/waitress always loses money with me. A tip is a gratuity. It is offensive to me when people do not tip a waiter or waitress appropriately, but it is also offensive to me when I am told what I have to tip. It's even more offensive when the service is lacking as it often is in such places. If there is a mandatory tip, I never tip more or less - sadly. And I rarely return.

~Kathleen

Has anybody here ever been asked to leave? Any restaurant I have worked at has never had a policy if people want to stay. Normally, the waitress would close the bill off, if the patrons stop ordering drinks or dessert and not go back to the table again. Eventually, the people get the message.

As a server at a steakhouse, I can't believe servers who are rude to customers. I don't care if you have been there for 3 hours, and are drinking water, I will just bring you a pitcher and wander by periodically so you can flag me down if you need anything. While I think it is prudent to keep your time at the table a little shorter if there is a wait, it is still up to you. If there are open tables, however, you are NOT affecting the restaurant's bottom line, and the table is yours for however long you want it. I've left people sitting at tables in the dining room even after the kitchen closed (our bar is open til 1) with instructions to go see the bar tender if they needed anything else, and that he was aware they were there. There is never an excuse to rush customers unless it is closing time. If customers seem to think they are in the way I am always sure to tell them I get paid by the hour, and I am there til the kitchen closes (even if it would actually have been slow enough for me to leave early) so there is absolutely no rush.

As mentioned earlier, I have tipped the price of my meal or more when lingering for an excessive amount of time. I make sure my waiter or waitress is always taken care of if they have given me good service. That being said, if there is a mandatory tip, the waiter/waitress always loses money with me. A tip is a gratuity. It is offensive to me when people do not tip a waiter or waitress appropriately, but it is also offensive to me when I am told what I have to tip. It's even more offensive when the service is lacking as it often is in such places. If there is a mandatory tip, I never tip more or less - sadly. And I rarely return.

~Kathleen

Off topic, I know.
If I am asked "do you want your change?". I NEVER tip no matter how good the service was. I think that is just RUDE. When paying with "plastic" I will tip in "cash" if the service is GOOD well above the minimum. Then the server will only have to claim the amount that is required.

@ Rocklobster - I've never been asked to leave for lingering. In college, there were a few requests due to crowd-rowdiness. :rolleyes: Once I grew up, there was a time my party was asked to move locations so they could seat a larger party. It was not upscale dining, and we were done with the meal and were simply catching up so we happily complied. The manager was so grateful that he gave us a second go-around with complimentary desserts. Momma said it pays to be nice...always. :pig:

@Patty1 - That is something to consider when paying with a CC. I had not thought of it. Thanks!

~Kathleen

PattY1 said:
Off topic, I know.
If I am asked "do you want your change?". I NEVER tip no matter how good the service was. I think that is just RUDE. When paying with "plastic" I will tip in "cash" if the service is GOOD well above the minimum. Then the server will only have to claim the amount that is required.

I agree the server should always assume you DO want your change, but on the other hand, a lot of servers (like me) make change out of their apron, and it takes quite a bit more time than just grabbing it out of a register. When you are busy, taking time to make unnecessary change takes time away from other customers. Also, as far as the automatic gratuity, most places will take it off if you don't think you got good service. I hate putting the gratuity on, but when I have a big group, I pass on other tables so that I can dedicate myself to making sure my group is happy, so if it happens to be a group who doesn't believe in tipping, my night is shot. Oh, and I don't believe in that no splitting the check nonsense. My restaurant has a banquet room, and I split the check 15 ways for a group of forty one time. What's the difference?? Sure it's a pain, but that's my job.

Last edited:
I can recall having dinner with another couple from DC at a local Chinese restaurant. We were there for several hours and after a while the manager and server kept dropping by asking if we wanted anything else. Then the manager just lurked near the table while we talked.

I did not understand this as the restaurant was no more than half full.

I agree the server should always assume you DO want your change, but on the other hand, a lot of servers (like me) make change out of their apron, and it takes quite a bit more time than just grabbing it out of a register. When you are busy, taking time to make unnecessary change takes time away from other customers. Also, as far as the automatic gratuity, most places will take it off if you don't think you got good service. I hate putting the gratuity on, but when I have a big group, I pass on other tables so that I can dedicate myself to making sure my group is happy, so if it happens to be a group who doesn't believe in tipping, my night is shot. Oh, and I don't believe in that no splitting the check nonsense. My restaurant has a banquet room, and I split the check 15 ways for a group of forty one time. What's the difference?? Sure it's a pain, but that's my job.

If the Restaurant is THAT busy or the wait staff are that slow, changes are in order. HOW long does it really take to count change??? :scratchingmyhead:

PattY1 said:
If the Restaurant is THAT busy or the wait staff are that slow, changes are in order. HOW long does it really take to count change??? :scratchingmyhead:

Servers are generally pretty busy during the dinner rush, and you can't always predict how many people will decide to come out to dinner at the same time. If I don't have enough change of my own, I have to go to the bartender to go in the till for me. The bartender is busy too, and sometimes I have to stand there and wait for him to get around to helping me. When you are already running, believe me, it makes a difference. If you were planning on leaving the amount of change that you are getting, what's the difference? Why not just say, "No thanks, the rest is for you," or "Just give me five dollars back and the rest is for you," or something along those lines? Personally I tell the customer I will be right back with some change, and hope they say it's not necessary, but I don't see why it's such a big deal to you if they ask if you need change.

Last edited:
Many restaurants do not have a designated cashier and have to go to the bar and the bar staff to get / make change. That said I always say in advance, keep the change or I don't want any change.

Servers are generally pretty busy during the dinner rush, and you can't always predict how many people will decide to come out to dinner at the same time. If I don't have enough change of my own, I have to go to the bartender to go in the till for me. The bartender is busy too, and sometimes I have to stand there and wait for him to get around to helping me. When you are already running, believe me, it makes a difference. If you were planning on leaving the amount of change that you are getting, what's the difference? Why not just say, "No thanks, the rest is for you," or "Just give me five dollars back and the rest is for you," or something along those lines? Personally I tell the customer I will be right back with some change, and hope they say it's not necessary, but I don't see why it's such a big deal to you if they ask if you need change.

Yup, when I am paying I usually figure out the tip and say, "Take $35." or whatever. I don't say give me back $5. I have occasionally given the waiter or taxi driver a 20 when I thought it was a 10 or similar.

Skittle, do you tip your bartender? I was a lot slower serving wait staff who didn't tip me well when I tended bar. ;)

Many restaurants do not have a designated cashier and have to go to the bar and the bar staff to get / make change. That said I always say in advance, keep the change or I don't want any change.

I still stand by what I posted. It is a pet peeve of mine. The first time it happened to me a waitress asked if I wanted my change from a 100.00 for a bill of 65.00. This was not a upscale place and her service was just barley acceptable. The place was not busy and we didn't stay longer then necessary, keeping her from making more money from other groups.
Like I said in my previous post, you people are out of my league. I have never been in the position where a 35.00 tip was affordable or warranted.

Last edited:
We don't tip the bartender here. The bartender takes tables during the dinner rush along with the regular bar patrons, so they make more than us. We bus the bartenders tables, bring food to his/her tables, and anything else we can do to help so that the bartender can stay behind the bar where s/he belongs. In exchange, s/he makes our drinks and gets us change if we need it. If the bartender is too busy I also make my own drinks, since I also bartend on Sundays. But we do tip the kitchen :)

Last edited:
PattY1 said:
I still stand by what I posted. It is a pet peeve of mine. The first time it happened to me a waitress asked if I wanted my change from a 100.00 for a bill of 65.00. This was not a upscale place and her service was just barley acceptable. The place was not busy and we didn't stay longer then necessary, keeping her from making more money from other groups.
Like I said in my previous post, you people are out of my league. I have never been in the position where a 35.00 tips was affordable or warranted.

Maybe she didn't even really look at how much your bill was? Maybe she really was just that dumb, but I try to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Has anybody here ever been asked to leave? Any restaurant I have worked at has never had a policy if people want to stay. Normally, the waitress would close the bill off, if the patrons stop ordering drinks or dessert and not go back to the table again. Eventually, the people get the message.

YES! The band boosters had a quick planning meeting and birthday celebration for the band director. We made reservations (about 10 of us), ordered appetizers, drinks, entrees. As we were discussing ordering dessert and coffee, the manager came and asked us to leave that we had been there too long and he needed the table. It had been about an hour and 15 mins since we were seated. Needless to say we didn't order dessert, we got our things together and left. As we were leaving, expecting a crowd of waiting customers, we were surprised to find no one in the lobby waiting and staff standing around with seemingly nothing to do! We tipped low that day. This was 6 years ago and I have never set foot in that restaurant again. When people suggest it I tell them I had really bad service there and will not give them my business.

I was once asked to leave a restaurant in the middle of the day when I was the only customer in the place. I was quietly enjoying my meal and reading a book. I have never figured this one out and I have never been back there. This was many years ago and the restaurant has gone out of business. Gee....I wonder why?!

Back
Top Bottom