"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-17-2011, 12:19 AM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
My mum always made up on the tip for any long stays in restaurants. She did this especially in the less expensive restaurants. She explained to us, when we were kids, that the wait staff could be making tips if someone else had the table, so she wanted to make sure it didn't cost them.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:28 AM   #42
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I have been known to tip the kitchen, too. Exemplary service and food is very well rewarded, often the price of our meal will be spent again if we are treated well.

I waitressed once for 1 week...never again, I couldn't stand it. But, I sure love working in the kitchens.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:52 AM   #43
Cook

45-60 min in a restaurant ???

sure 3-4h is quite a lot unless you go an see Chef Bocuse, but in France we stay in a casual restaurant at least for 1h-1h30
Old 01-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #44
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I have been known to tip the kitchen, too. Exemplary service and food is very well rewarded, often the price of our meal will be spent again if we are treated well.

I waitressed once for 1 week...never again, I couldn't stand it. But, I sure love working in the kitchens.
As mentioned earlier, I have tipped the price of my meal or more when lingering for an excessive amount of time. I make sure my waiter or waitress is always taken care of if they have given me good service. That being said, if there is a mandatory tip, the waiter/waitress always loses money with me. A tip is a gratuity. It is offensive to me when people do not tip a waiter or waitress appropriately, but it is also offensive to me when I am told what I have to tip. It's even more offensive when the service is lacking as it often is in such places. If there is a mandatory tip, I never tip more or less - sadly. And I rarely return.

~Kathleen
Old 01-18-2011, 04:24 PM   #45
Executive Chef

Has anybody here ever been asked to leave? Any restaurant I have worked at has never had a policy if people want to stay. Normally, the waitress would close the bill off, if the patrons stop ordering drinks or dessert and not go back to the table again. Eventually, the people get the message.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #46
Sous Chef

As a server at a steakhouse, I can't believe servers who are rude to customers. I don't care if you have been there for 3 hours, and are drinking water, I will just bring you a pitcher and wander by periodically so you can flag me down if you need anything. While I think it is prudent to keep your time at the table a little shorter if there is a wait, it is still up to you. If there are open tables, however, you are NOT affecting the restaurant's bottom line, and the table is yours for however long you want it. I've left people sitting at tables in the dining room even after the kitchen closed (our bar is open til 1) with instructions to go see the bar tender if they needed anything else, and that he was aware they were there. There is never an excuse to rush customers unless it is closing time. If customers seem to think they are in the way I am always sure to tell them I get paid by the hour, and I am there til the kitchen closes (even if it would actually have been slow enough for me to leave early) so there is absolutely no rush.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #47
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenA View Post
As mentioned earlier, I have tipped the price of my meal or more when lingering for an excessive amount of time. I make sure my waiter or waitress is always taken care of if they have given me good service. That being said, if there is a mandatory tip, the waiter/waitress always loses money with me. A tip is a gratuity. It is offensive to me when people do not tip a waiter or waitress appropriately, but it is also offensive to me when I am told what I have to tip. It's even more offensive when the service is lacking as it often is in such places. If there is a mandatory tip, I never tip more or less - sadly. And I rarely return.

~Kathleen
Off topic, I know.
If I am asked "do you want your change?". I NEVER tip no matter how good the service was. I think that is just RUDE. When paying with "plastic" I will tip in "cash" if the service is GOOD well above the minimum. Then the server will only have to claim the amount that is required.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:42 PM   #48
Cupcake

@ Rocklobster - I've never been asked to leave for lingering. In college, there were a few requests due to crowd-rowdiness. Once I grew up, there was a time my party was asked to move locations so they could seat a larger party. It was not upscale dining, and we were done with the meal and were simply catching up so we happily complied. The manager was so grateful that he gave us a second go-around with complimentary desserts. Momma said it pays to be nice...always.

@Patty1 - That is something to consider when paying with a CC. I had not thought of it. Thanks!

~Kathleen
Old 01-18-2011, 04:58 PM   #49
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1

Off topic, I know.
If I am asked "do you want your change?". I NEVER tip no matter how good the service was. I think that is just RUDE. When paying with "plastic" I will tip in "cash" if the service is GOOD well above the minimum. Then the server will only have to claim the amount that is required.
I agree the server should always assume you DO want your change, but on the other hand, a lot of servers (like me) make change out of their apron, and it takes quite a bit more time than just grabbing it out of a register. When you are busy, taking time to make unnecessary change takes time away from other customers. Also, as far as the automatic gratuity, most places will take it off if you don't think you got good service. I hate putting the gratuity on, but when I have a big group, I pass on other tables so that I can dedicate myself to making sure my group is happy, so if it happens to be a group who doesn't believe in tipping, my night is shot. Oh, and I don't believe in that no splitting the check nonsense. My restaurant has a banquet room, and I split the check 15 ways for a group of forty one time. What's the difference?? Sure it's a pain, but that's my job.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:02 PM   #50
Certified Pretend Chef

I can recall having dinner with another couple from DC at a local Chinese restaurant. We were there for several hours and after a while the manager and server kept dropping by asking if we wanted anything else. Then the manager just lurked near the table while we talked.

I did not understand this as the restaurant was no more than half full.