"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-18-2011, 05:10 PM   #51
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I can recall having dinner at a local Chinese restaurant. .
One restaurant in Toronto, many years ago, we had to watch a cook through the glass doors of the kitchen, picking his nose constantly while preparing food. They didn't have to worry about us loitering, we left before the food was served

Old 01-18-2011, 05:12 PM   #52
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
I agree the server should always assume you DO want your change, but on the other hand, a lot of servers (like me) make change out of their apron, and it takes quite a bit more time than just grabbing it out of a register. When you are busy, taking time to make unnecessary change takes time away from other customers. Also, as far as the automatic gratuity, most places will take it off if you don't think you got good service. I hate putting the gratuity on, but when I have a big group, I pass on other tables so that I can dedicate myself to making sure my group is happy, so if it happens to be a group who doesn't believe in tipping, my night is shot. Oh, and I don't believe in that no splitting the check nonsense. My restaurant has a banquet room, and I split the check 15 ways for a group of forty one time. What's the difference?? Sure it's a pain, but that's my job.
If the Restaurant is THAT busy or the wait staff are that slow, changes are in order. HOW long does it really take to count change??? :scratchingmyhead:

Old 01-18-2011, 05:32 PM   #53
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1

If the Restaurant is THAT busy or the wait staff are that slow, changes are in order. HOW long does it really take to count change??? :scratchingmyhead:
Servers are generally pretty busy during the dinner rush, and you can't always predict how many people will decide to come out to dinner at the same time. If I don't have enough change of my own, I have to go to the bartender to go in the till for me. The bartender is busy too, and sometimes I have to stand there and wait for him to get around to helping me. When you are already running, believe me, it makes a difference. If you were planning on leaving the amount of change that you are getting, what's the difference? Why not just say, "No thanks, the rest is for you," or "Just give me five dollars back and the rest is for you," or something along those lines? Personally I tell the customer I will be right back with some change, and hope they say it's not necessary, but I don't see why it's such a big deal to you if they ask if you need change.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:40 PM   #54
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Many restaurants do not have a designated cashier and have to go to the bar and the bar staff to get / make change. That said I always say in advance, keep the change or I don't want any change.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:44 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
Servers are generally pretty busy during the dinner rush, and you can't always predict how many people will decide to come out to dinner at the same time. If I don't have enough change of my own, I have to go to the bartender to go in the till for me. The bartender is busy too, and sometimes I have to stand there and wait for him to get around to helping me. When you are already running, believe me, it makes a difference. If you were planning on leaving the amount of change that you are getting, what's the difference? Why not just say, "No thanks, the rest is for you," or "Just give me five dollars back and the rest is for you," or something along those lines? Personally I tell the customer I will be right back with some change, and hope they say it's not necessary, but I don't see why it's such a big deal to you if they ask if you need change.
Yup, when I am paying I usually figure out the tip and say, "Take $35." or whatever. I don't say give me back $5. I have occasionally given the waiter or taxi driver a 20 when I thought it was a 10 or similar.

Skittle, do you tip your bartender? I was a lot slower serving wait staff who didn't tip me well when I tended bar.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:49 PM   #56
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
Many restaurants do not have a designated cashier and have to go to the bar and the bar staff to get / make change. That said I always say in advance, keep the change or I don't want any change.
I still stand by what I posted. It is a pet peeve of mine. The first time it happened to me a waitress asked if I wanted my change from a 100.00 for a bill of 65.00. This was not a upscale place and her service was just barley acceptable. The place was not busy and we didn't stay longer then necessary, keeping her from making more money from other groups.
Like I said in my previous post, you people are out of my league. I have never been in the position where a 35.00 tip was affordable or warranted.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:52 PM   #57
Sous Chef

We don't tip the bartender here. The bartender takes tables during the dinner rush along with the regular bar patrons, so they make more than us. We bus the bartenders tables, bring food to his/her tables, and anything else we can do to help so that the bartender can stay behind the bar where s/he belongs. In exchange, s/he makes our drinks and gets us change if we need it. If the bartender is too busy I also make my own drinks, since I also bartend on Sundays. But we do tip the kitchen :)
Old 01-18-2011, 05:55 PM   #58
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1

I still stand by what I posted. It is a pet peeve of mine. The first time it happened to me a waitress asked if I wanted my change from a 100.00 for a bill of 65.00. This was not a upscale place and her service was just barley acceptable. The place was not busy and we didn't stay longer then necessary, keeping her from making more money from other groups.
Like I said in my previous post, you people are out of my league. I have never been in the position where a 35.00 tips was affordable or warranted.
Maybe she didn't even really look at how much your bill was? Maybe she really was just that dumb, but I try to give people the benefit of the doubt.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #59
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Has anybody here ever been asked to leave? Any restaurant I have worked at has never had a policy if people want to stay. Normally, the waitress would close the bill off, if the patrons stop ordering drinks or dessert and not go back to the table again. Eventually, the people get the message.
YES! The band boosters had a quick planning meeting and birthday celebration for the band director. We made reservations (about 10 of us), ordered appetizers, drinks, entrees. As we were discussing ordering dessert and coffee, the manager came and asked us to leave that we had been there too long and he needed the table. It had been about an hour and 15 mins since we were seated. Needless to say we didn't order dessert, we got our things together and left. As we were leaving, expecting a crowd of waiting customers, we were surprised to find no one in the lobby waiting and staff standing around with seemingly nothing to do! We tipped low that day. This was 6 years ago and I have never set foot in that restaurant again. When people suggest it I tell them I had really bad service there and will not give them my business.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:20 PM   #60
Head Chef

I was once asked to leave a restaurant in the middle of the day when I was the only customer in the place. I was quietly enjoying my meal and reading a book. I have never figured this one out and I have never been back there. This was many years ago and the restaurant has gone out of business. Gee....I wonder why?!