"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-21-2007, 05:04 PM   #11
Executive Chef

The bottles and jars have 'freshness' dates on them. You have to toss them when you hit the date.

As for cooked food, a week is the absolute limit for me.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:47 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis
If leftover meats are only good for 3-4 days, why is it then that lunchmeat lasts longer? Are lunchmeats they cut while you wait (not the prepackaged stuff) made with preservatives that gives them a longer shelf life? That's where I'm having a hard time. You grab a slice of slimy bologna and you know it's bad, but why would leftover cooked burger show no outward signs? Why pitch it after a few days other than the thought that it should be bad?
I made something last night with red wine vinegar and I know I've had that same bottle at least 10 years, but it looked and tasted OK and I was cooking it down anyway....
I guess until I use something that's been sitting around too long and I get sick from it I'm playing Russian roulette, but like I said, it just doesn't seem right to pitch food just because it's past a certain date even though it looks and smells OK. It seems that the cooking/reheating process would kill off any bacteria if they haven't gotten that far along yet, but what do I know
Vinegar, Especially wine-based vinegar, I would trust indefinately since it is a preservative. Lunch meats, even smoked turkey, I pitch by the 4th day always. Its noticably changed form to a slimier texture. As for your cooked burgers, they will keep for the same amount of time, give or take. WIll you always get sick, no, but thats not a good method for judging the quality of your food . Your ammune system takes care of alot of bacteria. The bigger reason not to eat old meat is that its simply not as good as fresh meat. Cooking it may kill off bacteria if you are always thorough, but I wouldnt wanna eat a twice grilled burger. Your best off freezing your leftovers/unused portions, and I recommend cooking smaller amounts if you get alot of leftover cooked stuffs. If thats what you do, then you wont have to worry about bacteria. As for lunch meat, its your discretion, but I notice a considerable dropoff in quality after a few days. If you dont care, then I sure dont. After all, its you eating it..

Old 05-22-2007, 04:00 AM   #13
Head Chef

pacanis: Now that I have read all the good information on this thread, I know that you will make it until:

November 15 is National Clean Out Your Fridge Day!

Old 05-22-2007, 07:52 AM   #14
Sous Chef

I don't keep any leftovers for more then 3 or 4 days. I don't freeze a whole lot of leftovers cuz in my case it's either throw away now and in a few months when the freezer gets over crowded. Lunchmeat I don't keep for more then a week, lunchmeat turkey smells off in just a few days. I make my own salad dressing but I know that if I purchased my dressing I wouldn't use the same bottle for a year.

I'm studying to take the ServSafe food safety course and I'm learning some things that I sort of don't want to know.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:02 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Why pitch it after a few days other than the thought that it should be bad
Allen answered this above. The bacteria multiplies at an amazing rate and their spores are not killed by cooking.

Quote:
I made something last night with red wine vinegar and I know I've had that same bottle at least 10 years, but it looked and tasted OK and I was cooking it down anyway....
Vinegar never goes bad.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:56 PM   #16
Head Chef

There was a lady who worked in my office building and she warmed her chicken salad sandwich in the microwave everyday. I thought that if it worked for her, it would work be nice to have a warm sandwich.

She warmed one for me and all I could see was "foam" oozing out. She bought it from me for $1.50. I settled for a Coke and package of M&M's.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:25 PM   #17
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
The bottles and jars have 'freshness' dates on them. You have to toss them when you hit the date.
Who made that rule? Throwing away perfectly good food just because it reaches it's "freshness date" is totally irresponsible! Those dates are put there for retail outlets, not the consumer.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:37 PM   #18
Head Chef

I may be overkill but I only keep leftovers until the next day. If it is soup or a sauce, leftover taco meat I freeze it..Coldcuts I keep three days. Salad dressings I keep a longer, ketchup stuff like that.