When Life Gives You Organic Lemons...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
...you make limoncello.

SO and a girlfriend decided to make limoncello last weekend. They started the process with 14 small organic lemons that she zested for the brew. Now we're left with 14 small lemons that are zestless and in some cases pithless too.

Here is a photo of what I have to deal with. That's a 7" plate and the lemons are no more than 1.5" tall.

My question is, what's the best way to juice them?

I have a manual juicer but I don't see them working well there. I also have a food processor but then the pith gets incorporated unless I peel them all before I pulverize them.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_2617.jpg
    IMG_2617.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 167
Run them through a food processor, put a coffee filter in a small strainer, suspend it over a bowl and filter out the pith. I've done this with regular yogurt to make a thicker version for tzatziki. It took a few hours for the yogurt to drain, but it worked out rather well. I'll guess it will work well with your lemons.

Run them through a food processor, put a coffee filter in a small strainer, suspend it over a bowl and filter out the pith. I've done this with regular yogurt to make a thicker version for tzatziki. It took a few hours for the yogurt to drain, but it worked out rather well. I'll guess it will work well with your lemons.

Thanks, tensed. I thought of this and am concerned that the pith will get "processed" along with the rest of the lemon and its bitterness will get into the juice.

Do you have a ricer? I would use my Mom's old potato ricer if I had those lemon lumps - assuming Mom's ricer wasn't among the latest box of purged items taken to the thrift shop. :ermm:

Do you have a ricer? I would use my Mom's old potato ricer if I had those lemon lumps - assuming Mom's ricer wasn't among the latest box of purged items taken to the thrift shop. :ermm:

Sounds like a good idea.

I was thinking something that uses pressure to squeeze out the juice and then strain it. Maybe two bowls - Lemons in one bowl, the second bowl on top and then press down hard.

I was thinking something that uses pressure to squeeze out the juice and then strain it. Maybe two bowls - Lemons in one bowl, the second bowl on top and then press down hard.

I had the same thought - maybe a glass or canning jar pressed down on a lemon in a bowl.

Do you have a hand lemon/lime squeezer? That's what I would use.

CD

Attachments

• Juicer.jpg
    Juicer.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 137
I had one of these, but it was one of the things ex-DH kept. It works for lemons as well as oranges. You put a glass between the "feet".

red.JPG

Thank you all for your contributions.

While I was off at PT this afternoon, SO decided to take the job over for me. She tried the ricer and wasn't happy with the amount of juice extracted so she used the manual juicer and managed to extract ¾ cup of lemon juice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom