"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-21-2010, 10:46 AM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Veggie stock - 2 hours
chicken stock - 4 hours
beef stock - 6-8 hours
ham stock - 8 hours

The first two hours of any meat stock is spent making veggie stock first. I don't like the totally mushy veg in my meat stocks.
You're supposed to strain the veggies and everything else, out of the stock, Fiona.

Ham stock? wouldn't that be awfully greasy? doesn't sound too good to me...

Old 01-21-2010, 10:49 AM   #12
Everymom

I don't use any veggies in any of my stocks.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
You're supposed to strain the veggies and everything else, out of the stock, Fiona.

Ham stock? wouldn't that be awfully greasy? doesn't sound too good to me...
I know you strain it out and I do. However after many years of making stock this is my favorite method for taste and richness. My vegs stocks start with the ends and trimmings of all veg, I'm talking about onion peels and ends, garlic trims, the ends of tomatoes and peppers, etc. Once they are done I freeze them and use them as bases for my meat stocks.

So, you've never made a ham stock out of a hambone or ham shanks? It may be greasy, but an hour in the fridge and the fat peels right off. Heavenly start for ham n bean or split pea soup.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:27 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
So, you've never made a ham stock out of a hambone or ham shanks? It may be greasy, but an hour in the fridge and the fat peels right off. Heavenly start for ham n bean or split pea soup.
Oh, I have to totally agree with this. I use the bone from spiral ham to make the stock and it makes KILLER ham and beans and pea soup!

Alix - yes, we usually have our woodburning stove going most of the winter, unless it gets warm (like it will this weekend... 50F). I cook on it a lot (nothing greasy) and even bake/roast some things inside it too (like potatoes, garlic, foil mixed veggie packets). Most things, such as soups, require me to start it on the stove to bring it up to temp, then it can simmer away on the woodburning stove. It's not a cook stove - it's a cast iron stove.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:36 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Well I have to admit that there have been one or two times I wanted stock faster. Found you can draw a lot out of beef bones or poutlry in a shorter time in a pressure cooker. Mind you I love to slower simmer then cool and remove the fat off the top of what has become jell. For smaller amounts do use an asparagus pot..... nice tall and narrow with the basket in it. The mesh on this one lets you contain the chicken carcass and bits in the basket. Just lift and let drip then I run the liqiud through a fine sieve. Last Thanksgiving my step daughter had a big party three turkey carcasses came home with us and they reduced well in a 12 qt stock pot. The pasta insert made it easier to separate off the bones. MDW and I were out to dinner and had rack of lamb. The waiter looked at me funny when I told him to pack up the bones. I pulled them from the freezer and had some lamb stock for the lamb stew.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:56 PM   #16
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I have always just put the ham bone or hock right in with all the rest of the peas or beans it's cooking with. No need for a separate step, imho.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:29 PM   #17
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
our woodburning stove going most of the winter, unless it gets warm (like it will this weekend... 50F). I cook on it a lot (nothing greasy) and even bake/roast some things inside it too (like potatoes, garlic, foil mixed veggie packets). Most things, such as soups, require me to start it on the stove to bring it up to temp, then it can simmer away on the woodburning stove. It's not a cook stove - it's a cast iron stove.
OK, extremely cool. I'm jealous.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:26 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Most restaurants will go at least 24 hours for a great veal/beef demi glace. Two restaurants I know let their stocks go for 36 hours.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:11 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

There are two reasons to let a stock go for a long time. One is to extract as much flavor as possible. The other is to draw out the natural cologen which is in the bones. It is the cologen which adds consistency to a demi glace and gives it that jello-like set when you chill it in the fridge.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:16 AM   #20
Cook

For beef, veal or chicken stock, I think about 6-8 hours is good, plus time to make demi glace afterward of course!

tzakiel is offline   Reply With Quote