"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-20-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
Sous Chef

When making stock... how long?

Just wondering how long you simmer bones/carcass for a really great, rich stock. I was just reading today on a blog or someplace that this person simmered for 48 hours. Not only would I be afraid to leave my stove on when I was asleep at night, but it seems to be excessive. I would think that long before 2 days you'd have achieved... terminal velocity. I mean, you'd have sucked every last bit of flavor long before 48 hours. However, I've never attended culinary school, so I don't know if this might be the norm.

In the winter, I usually let it simmer all day long on the woodburning stove - up to maybe 12 hours. I've always thought it was nice and I've even made some really good demi glace from the results. If it could be better, though, I'm all for it!

Old 01-20-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

you are right, two days is just silly. anything over four hours is silly. i would say two if you do on stove. slow cooker might take four on high. slow cooker is what i use.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:22 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I assume you are talking about beef and veal stock. Yes, it takes a lot longer than poultry stocks.

It would not be unusual to spend 24 hours simmering beef and veal bones to get a top quality stock as a base for a demi-glace.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:43 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

invite me over to see you cook a beef or lamb carcass. sorry i have a very strange sense of humor.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:54 PM   #5
Head Chef

I did these for 20 hours.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:46 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
invite me over to see you cook a beef or lamb carcass. sorry i have a very strange sense of humor.
That's why I stated it "bones/carcass".
Old 01-21-2010, 05:53 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I assume you are talking about beef and veal stock. Yes, it takes a lot longer than poultry stocks.

It would not be unusual to spend 24 hours simmering beef and veal bones to get a top quality stock as a base for a demi-glace.
And I have done that in the past, on my woodburning stove, but not 24 hours. As a matter of fact, each year we get a side of beef and I take all the bones they'll give me to make demi-glace. For demi-glace, I'll simmer about 16 - 18 hours, but for regular stock that I can or freeze, I really only simmer about 12 hours MAX. Perhaps that's the limit of my patience. I also only try to do stocks in the winter when the woodburning stove is burning. I will freeze any bones I have over the summer and collect them to make stock in the winter. I don't like using that much electricity just for stock (and my electric stove is power hog).
Old 01-21-2010, 08:55 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post

Well, first you need a really big pot...
Old 01-21-2010, 10:39 AM   #9
Everymom

Hey velochic, I'm no expert either, but I often leave my stock on low overnight. I don't use a woodburning stove though. Is that what you always use? Props to you if you do, thats got to be tough to manage.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:41 AM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Veggie stock - 2 hours
chicken stock - 4 hours
beef stock - 6-8 hours
ham stock - 8 hours

The first two hours of any meat stock is spent making veggie stock first. I don't like the totally mushy veg in my meat stocks.