When you make stew: stove top or oven?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If the stew is predominately meat, like a Bourguignon or Carbonade, I like to do it for a long time on lowish temps in the oven,. When I do a classic stew with carrots and potatoes I like to start my meat with onions, garlic, herbs etc., first on the stovetop and let it go for an hour on simmer, then I add my veg and finish it off either on the stovetop or i toss it in the oven for another hour or so. It's all the same.
But then again, when I do a Swiss Steak I will do it on the stove top. So, I guess it really doesn't matter to me. Just habit.....

Right, Bill!

Well we do have a vent hood over the stove, which goes to the outdoors, so I'm guessing the oven will definitely make the house hotter than stovetop.

but, but, but.....roasted meat is soooooo good!

We also have a side-burner on the BBQ, but it will use up a lot of the gas tank, won't it?

If you have a gas grill anything like mine, it works fine as an oven too. I've roasted chicken, slow smoked pork butt and ribs, done lots of such cooking on my old Weber Genesis gas grill. Now I have a brand new Napoleon Prestige that I'm still learning how to use, but it will roast just fine on indirect heat.

I would thnk that you can easily maintain 350° with just a single burner on medium if your grill allows such flexibility, and that doesn't use as much gas as you might think. I've smoked and slow cooked a pork butt for up to 8 hours on less than a 1/4 of a tank. That lets you do roasts without heating up the house, and down here in the summer that's a big deal. The AC works hard enough as it is to keep the house in the low to mid 80's.

Back
Top Bottom