Where can one buy buffalo milk?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you all for your kind research into this. GLC, Margi, you are awesome! Grandes!

I just an email to the guy in Ontario, will let you know what he says.
A shop I found, (murrays' cheese per Margi's recommendation) sells fresh mozzarella di bufala too... Good stuff!

That's further than I want to go for a hobby... :LOL:

Me, too. And I've got the spare two acres in grass and clover. But I really don't want to commit to daily milking and such. Not for the occasional pizza, anyway.

Now if the buffalo would just go open range and drop by once a week to be milked, I might consider pulling some milk. Of maybe she could just drop off a gallon or two on the doorstep before dawn...

:LOL::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mozzarella is not for pizza alone!!!

I have some cravings every now and then ...

I have bouts of wanting a toasty bruschetta with a slice of mazzarella on top, bread dipped in Sicilian Paesano olive oil, some Baleine salt, cracked grains of paradise, and some prosciutto di Parma on top.

Now that's an appetizer!!!!!!!!!!!

:whistling:whistling

Me, too. And I've got the spare two acres in grass and clover. But I really don't want to commit to daily milking and such. Not for the occasional pizza, anyway.

Now if the buffalo would just go open range and drop by once a week to be milked, I might consider pulling some milk. Of maybe she could just drop off a gallon or two on the doorstep before dawn...

You just need to train them to milk themselves...

Such a simple word, row.

Got a reply from Ontario saying they don't ship to the US, but they ship elsewhere. Oh well...

Dead ended.

Thanks to all for contributing!

Well, look. Water buffalo may be hard to find in the U.S., but moose are much easier to come by. And their milk is even richer than water buffalo. Of course, in the U.S. most moose you find and get close to are more interest in killing you than being milked. But if you can manage to milk the vicious beast and make cheese, you're in the money. Supposedly the only moose cheese maker on Earth in Sweden has three moose cows, all rescued from the woods, producing 300 kg of cheese that goes for $1,000 A kg.

There are 255,000 of them in the U.S. Given the usual proportions of mostly females, a little math makes them capable of milk enough to make $21 U.S. billion ($21,000,000,000).

palin_cartoon_moose.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not going near a moose, except by accident and then I am going to stay very still until they wander away.

I'm not going near a moose, except by accident and then I am going to stay very still until they wander away.

When I lived in the country, there was one moose I would have challenged. Sucker used to dance in our herb garden. If I had ever caught him or her, I would have yelled and waved stuff at it.

I was excited to see a baby moose once...until I realized I couldn't see Mama. She walked up behind the baby and we edged around the car and watched them from there.

@ DC Gator: Ensalada Caprese, Canapés, Pizza Toppings

@ DC Gator,

Firstly, no problem ... I have learnt a bit too ... One learns something new daily ...

Rec´d quite a bit of feedback on topic too and leads to follow ...

I enjoy ensalada caprese immensely ... and then, yes the canapés and Topping my Pizzas.

My advice is to tackle emailing these suggestions, one per day or one per couple of days ... and speak to whom ever, you can --- Italian restaurateurs and chefs --- they know who distributes water buff milk ... and Italian delis too ...

Please keep me posted. If by chance, I can find out more, I shall post the details to you.

Kindest,

Margi

If you're really ambitious, you could contact Billie Swamp Safari in south Florida. They might be interested in allowing you to wrangle some of their free roaming water buffalo. You might be in it for the milk, but they would simply be interested as an attraction for the tourists!;)

That would be akin to wild cow milking, just with more blood, since these aren't really very wild cows.

wild cow milking - YouTube

It kind of reiterates the reason the rabbit stew recipe begins, "First, catch a rabbit."

Last edited:
I think we covered this in another recent topic, about buffalo cheese? That the buffalo generally concerned when talking about dairy is water buffalo, and that American buffalo otherwise known as bison get rather testy when you pull on their udders, and aren't generally used for anything other than meat because you can just shoot them and don't need their cooperation unlike for dairy use. And finally, that we don't have very many water buffalo on US so buffalo diary products are scarce and difficult to get.

So I think the answer to the OP's query is that probably would better to be in Europe or Asia if you want buffalo dairy products.
Rather testy? The Am. bison is downright difficult to handle (my cousin had a buffalo ranch...if one had difficulty calving, it was really, really difficult to assist). I've milked sheep, goats, and cows, but I don't think I'd want to go near an Am. bison and pull on her udder...

Wrong

I think we covered this in another recent topic, about buffalo cheese? That the buffalo generally concerned when talking about dairy is water buffalo, and that American buffalo otherwise known as bison get rather testy when you pull on their udders, and aren't generally used for anything other than meat because you can just shoot them and don't need their cooperation unlike for dairy use. And finally, that we don't have very many water buffalo on US so buffalo diary products are scarce and difficult to get.

So I think the answer to the OP's query is that probably would better to be in Europe or Asia if you want buffalo dairy products.

There are a couple things you need to know. Buffalo of any kind are not in any way related or even the same species (NOT EVEN COUSINS !!!!!) To bison ! Bison are their own species and only native to North America. For the man looking for Buffalo milk in the U.S. look up or Google WATER BUFFALO MILK. There are a number of ranches in the U.S. that have water buffalo milk, most of them are in the eastern half of the U.S. By The Way, Water Buffalo are a major source of milk in Asia, Africa, and Europe. (Bison in the U.S. NO!!!!)

Water buffalo milk? Yuck!

As far as buffalo vs. bison, I know that. Perhaps my post was confusing, I sometimes inadequately proof read my posts. In any case bison are often inappropriately called buffalo in America. That's the way it is and neither you nor I can change it.

Funny thing, I had a buffa.... um..... bison burger for dinner last night! :)

By the way you CAN get Buffalo milk in America! Just drive to Buffalo N.Y. and buy it in any supermarket.
roflqy7.gif

bump.

this is pretty cool.

i was thinking today that a future project might be making mozzarella, and if you're gonna bother, do it right. buffala mozz is something to behold.

Mozz works just fine with regular cow's milk...have made several batches now and am happy with it. We don't find many water buffalo this side of the Rockies anyway. Plenty of Bison though, but I don't think they would appreciate being milked.

Back
Top Bottom