"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-21-2012, 09:46 PM   #31
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I was excited to see a baby moose once...until I realized I couldn't see Mama. She walked up behind the baby and we edged around the car and watched them from there.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:32 AM   #32
Executive Chef

@ DC Gator: Ensalada Caprese, Canapés, Pizza Toppings

@ DC Gator,

Firstly, no problem ... I have learnt a bit too ... One learns something new daily ...

Rec´d quite a bit of feedback on topic too and leads to follow ...

I enjoy ensalada caprese immensely ... and then, yes the canapés and Topping my Pizzas.

My advice is to tackle emailing these suggestions, one per day or one per couple of days ... and speak to whom ever, you can --- Italian restaurateurs and chefs --- they know who distributes water buff milk ... and Italian delis too ...

Please keep me posted. If by chance, I can find out more, I shall post the details to you.

Kindest,

Margi

Old 02-22-2012, 07:50 AM   #33
Executive Chef

If you're really ambitious, you could contact Billie Swamp Safari in south Florida. They might be interested in allowing you to wrangle some of their free roaming water buffalo. You might be in it for the milk, but they would simply be interested as an attraction for the tourists!
Old 02-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #34
Head Chef

That would be akin to wild cow milking, just with more blood, since these aren't really very wild cows.

It kind of reiterates the reason the rabbit stew recipe begins, "First, catch a rabbit."
Old 02-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I think we covered this in another recent topic, about buffalo cheese? That the buffalo generally concerned when talking about dairy is water buffalo, and that American buffalo otherwise known as bison get rather testy when you pull on their udders, and aren't generally used for anything other than meat because you can just shoot them and don't need their cooperation unlike for dairy use. And finally, that we don't have very many water buffalo on US so buffalo diary products are scarce and difficult to get.

So I think the answer to the OP's query is that probably would better to be in Europe or Asia if you want buffalo dairy products.
Rather testy? The Am. bison is downright difficult to handle (my cousin had a buffalo ranch...if one had difficulty calving, it was really, really difficult to assist). I've milked sheep, goats, and cows, but I don't think I'd want to go near an Am. bison and pull on her udder...
Old 12-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I think we covered this in another recent topic, about buffalo cheese? That the buffalo generally concerned when talking about dairy is water buffalo, and that American buffalo otherwise known as bison get rather testy when you pull on their udders, and aren't generally used for anything other than meat because you can just shoot them and don't need their cooperation unlike for dairy use. And finally, that we don't have very many water buffalo on US so buffalo diary products are scarce and difficult to get.

So I think the answer to the OP's query is that probably would better to be in Europe or Asia if you want buffalo dairy products.
There are a couple things you need to know. Buffalo of any kind are not in any way related or even the same species (NOT EVEN COUSINS !!!!!) To bison ! Bison are their own species and only native to North America. For the man looking for Buffalo milk in the U.S. look up or Google WATER BUFFALO MILK. There are a number of ranches in the U.S. that have water buffalo milk, most of them are in the eastern half of the U.S. By The Way, Water Buffalo are a major source of milk in Asia, Africa, and Europe. (Bison in the U.S. NO!!!!)
Old 12-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Water buffalo milk? Yuck!

As far as buffalo vs. bison, I know that. Perhaps my post was confusing, I sometimes inadequately proof read my posts. In any case bison are often inappropriately called buffalo in America. That's the way it is and neither you nor I can change it.

Funny thing, I had a buffa.... um..... bison burger for dinner last night! :-)

By the way you CAN get Buffalo milk in America! Just drive to Buffalo N.Y. and buy it in any supermarket.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:45 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

bump.

this is pretty cool.

i was thinking today that a future project might be making mozzarella, and if you're gonna bother, do it right. buffala mozz is something to behold.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:55 AM   #39
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Mozz works just fine with regular cow's milk...have made several batches now and am happy with it. We don't find many water buffalo this side of the Rockies anyway. Plenty of Bison though, but I don't think they would appreciate being milked.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:16 AM   #40
Master Chef

Interesting article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/14/ma...anted=all&_r=0

Maybe you can roller skate in a buffalo herd after all, who knows?

Tags
milk