Where can one buy buffalo milk?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dcgator

Cook
I've tried looking every where and Margi has been quite kind in sending me info but I've hit a wall. Does anyone know where to buy buffalo (bufala) milk?

:huh:

I think we covered this in another recent topic, about buffalo cheese? That the buffalo generally concerned when talking about dairy is water buffalo, and that American buffalo otherwise known as bison get rather testy when you pull on their udders, and aren't generally used for anything other than meat because you can just shoot them and don't need their cooperation unlike for dairy use. And finally, that we don't have very many water buffalo on US so buffalo diary products are scarce and difficult to get.

So I think the answer to the OP's query is that probably would better to be in Europe or Asia if you want buffalo dairy products.

Wasn't me. This is a new subject on this topic as far as I know. I know also there is a difference between bison and water buffalo. Not the same - not even close. There is a dairy in Vermont that recently moved to Canada but there is not link on the web site to follow up.

Wasn't me. This is a new subject on this topic as far as I know. I know also there is a difference between bison and water buffalo. Not the same - not even close. There is a dairy in Vermont that recently moved to Canada but there is not link on the web site to follow up.

No web site, but an email addy.

INFO@BUFALADIVERMONT.COM

Maybe they could lead you in the right direction.

I hadn't meant to imply you were anything. I had meant to imply that everything I know about the subject was from the recent subject on buffalo cheese.

So are you looking for buffalo milk or bison milk? I'm just curious. Oh... and why?

I did some looking about a year ago and hit the same wall you are hitting. If you find a source please post it.

If my memory serves me, we discussed this a short time ago. There is a farm in Wisconsin that raises water buffalo. :chef:

Google the farm in VT. It tells you it moved to Canada but leaves an email to contact them. Maybe they could be of help.

Home Made Bufala di Mozzarella

@ D.C. Gator,

Thanks for posting ... and your appreciation.

I had suggested contacting a few Italian Chefs, for example: in the USA, Mario Batalí and some well known Chefs in Italia, as you write Italian wonderfully. Another suggestion would be to, look at all Italian Cheese Websites, All Water Buffalo Milk Websites and Agricultural Orgs. in Italy.
Bufala di Mozz. is produced in the autonomous province of Napolí.

Also, the sausage specialty deli I had mentioned I went to, in D.C., and Zabars, for example in NYC --- can be worth a quick phone call or email or Dean and De Luca ... Macy´s Cellar has a Deli and a Test Kitchen Dept.

I am going to speak with a Sardinian Restaurateur friend here in Madrid on Friday, and see what he has to add to the subject.

Kindest,
Margi.

@ D.C. Gator: Some Additional Leads

Tuesday 14.00 hours

Since my last communication earlier today, I had arrived home for Spanish Lunch Hour ( 14.00 - 16.00 hrs ) and have gone through my Italian NYC contacts for cheese, information and such, and some Italian Chefs and a Dairy which I believe can lead you a step closer.

1) Di Palo´s Italian Delí - 212. 226. 1033 / 200 Grand St., NYC
*** This is one of the oldest Italian establishments in NYC and it carries Fiore Sardo ( ewe milk cured Pecorino from the Sardinian Designation - From: Giovanni & Luca Dettori Farm ). I believe they could lead you closer to your goal as they have a distributor which brings the cheese to mainland Italy: the company name is Cossu and they sell Sardinian Pecorino on mainland.

2) www.murrayscheese.com ( a producer and shipper of cheeses from Italy )

3) Formaggio Kitchen: 888. 212. 3224

4) Campania: Taverna del Capitano in the village of Marina del Cantone
*** Bufala di Mozzarella is produced in Naples; thus, they could provide some insights and then, you can possibly connect to an exporter for USA.
*** The Caputo Family.

5) Chef Fulvio Pierangelini - Ristorante Gambero Rossi
*** Fulvio is brilliant and often called the Ferrán Adriá of Italy; and probably one of the best chefs in Italy. His location is on coast of Livornio in the seaside fisherman´s village of : San Vincenzo ( If you send him an email, I am sure he shall respond )

6) In Bologna, Emilio Romagna: Pizzería P122@S
and Ristorante La Capannina ( the owners have worked with Bon Appetit Magazine and thus, they utilise this product )

Please keep me posted and hope that one of these, lead you to a Water Buffalo Milk Supplier.

*** one last thought: might be to contact a mozzarella supplier in Italia

Kind regards,
Margaux.

Last edited:
There really aren't many water buffalo operations in the U.S. Those that are dairy operations tend to have all their milk presold to cheese makers. Colorado set up its prison WB dairy expressly to sell all the production to a mozzarella maker.

I suspect the closest WB dairy is in Ontario:
Ontario Water Buffalo Company

There's an August Water Buffalo Festival there.

Otherwise, if there's anyone working on establishing a dairy operation near you, one of these guys would know about it. They're breeders.

TJ Olson
419 Turkey Creek Lane
Texarkana , Arkansas 71854 - USA
Phone: 870-772-3510

A.P. Leonards, Route 1, Box 74, Sulphur Springs, AK 72768

Dr. Hugh L. Popenoe, Director, International Programs, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611

Ontario Water Buffalo Farm

Thanks so much for posting. I am sure that DC Gator shall be very pleased.

I have looked briefly at the website and the photos of the WB are the correct animal --

I think it is a fab idea --- to make home made mozzarella --- it tastes alot different than the package and exported ones ...

Kind regards and thanks.
M.C.

I have a feeling that, for now, it's going to easier to just buy your own water buffalo than to find the milk. Two year old heifers in the U.S. go for about $2,000. Weanlings and older heifers for maybe $750. So, about like pure bred beef. It looks like between 5 and 8 kg milk per hear per day, or 1 - 2 kg of mozzarella. One source says 2,500 kg per year of milk a lot higher value than conventional cows. If you were serious about buffalo mozzarella and had a good place for them to graze already, maybe a couple of acres per animal, it would be okay, if you could commit to the milking the beast and misc care.

Buffalo Mozzarella & Water Buffalo

@ GLC,

Buenas Tardes, Good Afternoon:

Thanks so much for your post and information.

I had just assisted DC Gator, as he had asked me if I know anybody who sells Buffalo milk ...

Yes, I agree, the easiest things can sometimes be so difficult ...

I had not realised ... However, the topic interests me greatly, and so I have done a little research to help out.

*** DC GATOR: working over time ? Check out all this data ...

Kind regards and I am sure DC Gator shall be in touch with u.

Margi.

I have a feeling that, for now, it's going to easier to just buy your own water buffalo than to find the milk. Two year old heifers in the U.S. go for about $2,000. Weanlings and older heifers for maybe $750. So, about like pure bred beef. It looks like between 5 and 8 kg milk per hear per day, or 1 - 2 kg of mozzarella. One source says 2,500 kg per year of milk a lot higher value than conventional cows. If you were serious about buffalo mozzarella and had a good place for them to graze already, maybe a couple of acres per animal, it would be okay, if you could commit to the milking the beast and misc care.

That's further than I want to go for a hobby... :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom