Where do I begin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxdrippy

Assistant Cook
Hello,

I would like to start cooking for me and my girlfriend (been living togeather 2 years) but I am not sure where to begin. We waste ALOT of money on fast food and pre-made food from the store when we do go shopping. I really want to start cooking for us to be healthier and save money. I am sick of the fast food and premade food we always get.

My girlfriend is wanting to start a diet so I am not sure how I can incorporate healthy eating into our meals. If anyone is able to help me where to start some simple meals I can start with and how to move on from there. I know how to cook simple things it's just been so long since I have I don't know where to start. Thanks everyone look forward to this forum :).

:)Welcome drippy you will get alot of advice here. So my first question would be what things can you cook at this point and then we can go from there and maybe reccomend some simple cook books as well. Plus what kinds of foods do like as far as meats/ vegetables/ dishes etc. You picked a great place to be.

Tacos..

Buy a pkt. of Taco mix in the spice/ soup isle of the grocery...

Read the back of the pkt. for instructions...

if you use a lot of lettuce/ tomatos it's very healthy... buy bottled hot salsa of your choice.. sort of exotic and very good...

We make Tacos about every 2 weeks! there are many other good options on that McCormick/ Lowery's isle!

Eric, Austin Tx.

ps Welcome to this group! Wonderful people here.

Well I can make basic foods I guess (grilled cheese sandwhiches, stir fry, chili). As long as I have directions that aren't too complex to follow I am ok I think haha. I love all kinds of meats, most vegtables. My favorite dishes would be chili and fettachini alfredo.

I really don't know how to go about making full meals though for me and my girlfriend. Usually its just premade food like I said and we eat watching tv or on the computer etc I would like to have a meal made so we can actually use the dinning room table and have a variety of food IE: chicken, potatoes, veggies, salad etc. I have to also figure out how to make somewhat healthy meals. I know my gf is wasting so much money on buying lean cuisines and things of that sort which are I think $3+ per box and she gets how many for each day.

I don't believe that I am saying this, but I believe that Rachel Rays recipes would be a good place to start. They use a lot of standard ingredients, not much in the way of kitchenware, and can be quickly be put together. As far as healthy, I believe that the less packaged the food, the better for you. Fresh everything, few canned goods, processed foods, etc. Also, the internet is always a good place to start. A very basic cookbook would not hurt.

Alright I'll have to check that out does she have a site with recipes or a book I should look for? I know I really want to start getting into fresh everything again. I have been eating so terrible lately I miss all the good fresh foods I had growing up on a farm.

Try foodnetwork.com. She has a cooking show. I think that if you google her name, it will lead you to her site and/or cookbooks. (Rachel Ray's 30 minute meals)

Ok i'll check that out thank you.

Anyone else have any tips/help for me to get going on this?

If you purchase a package of mixed greens, a couple of lemons and a bottle of extra virgin olive oil, you can make salads to start your dinner every day. Then you can add sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, radishes, zucchini, scallions, whatever both of you like, to vary the salads..

That is easy and healthy, for starters. And if you start your evening's eating off with a salad, you will not be quite as hungry when the main course is ready, so you will be likely to eat a bit less.

There are so many places to go on the web for ideas for healthy eating. Have you tried googling "Easy, healthy dishes?" You could try that phrase not only at google, but at epicurious.com, foodnetwork.com, foodandwine.com, saveur.com, gourmet.com and probably a whole bunch more.

Please come back and let us know what you've found, and what you're cooking! :)

rachel is really good, however i would advise you to buy at least one cook book. betty crocker's basic cook book. it will tell you how to do some of the things , you will need to know..

simple cooking terms for instance.it is billed as "everything you need to know about cooking today. when you buy one kinda skim all the info. then pick something simple to make.

don't overwhelm your self with things that are to involved.

most of all enjoy!:chef:

Ok cool thanks again both of you I will have to pick up a cookbook or see if my mom has one or a few I could have.

Chef sounds real good the idea you have there for me. We both love salads so that will be a awesome start.

I'm not sure how hard it's going to be to try to get us into a routine of eating a meal togeather though. Hopefully if I come home and cook a meal each night though things will fall into place.

rachel is really good, however i would advise you to buy at least one cook book. betty crocker's basic cook book. it will tell you how to do some of the things , you will need to know..

simple cooking terms for instance.it is billed as "everything you need to know about cooking today. when you buy one kinda skim all the info. then pick something simple to make.

don't overwhelm your self with things that are to involved.

most of all enjoy!:chef:
I like the Betty Crocker cookbook, and/or The Joy of Cooking by Brombeck. I agree with da babe. Don't get yourself in over your head at first. I have two other rules. I would not go out and buy a lot of cooking stuff until I knew what I was going to cook, and what I was comfortable with. My basics would be a decent chefs knife, a paring knife, a good skillet, one cast iron skillet, a couple of sauce pans, a larger pot. A handful of wooden utensils, some basic metal utensils, and a cutting board, as large as possible. With these, you will be able to cook most everything, and you will know soon enough what else you want or need. And, get the best you can afford, and what feels good to you. Lastly, remember the first rule I learned when I got divorced. If you mess it up, go out to eat. You would done that anyway if you hadn't tried.

Alright thanks. We are moving into our first home that we bought in september so hopefully by then I will probably end up buying most everything I need for cooking. I know I need to pick up a cutting board, some good knifes, a pan or 2 and atleast 1 large pot.

If you want good, inexpensive kitchen cookware, spend a Saturday morning at yard sales. Used items are, to me, as good as new if you are buying good items. IMHO, Forschner knives are the best available for the buck, I would stay away from the sets. At SMKW, a Forschner chefs knife is abounr 30 bucks. Mine served me wall for 40 years. Bought a new Japanese set, the Forschners still sit on my counter.

And turn off the TV. Good food and good company deserve a well-set table. Matching (yes, matching) flatware, dishes and glass. Tablecloth, maybe. Napkins. Cloth napkins. Candles at dinner, unless it's BBQ. Show your lady a side of you she may never have imagined. Good food and romance go hand in hand.

Stick to salads and grilled chicken sandwiches at fast food restaurants if you do have to buy occasional food from there. At home, try preparing easy meals that don't take a lot of time and effort so you won't get discouraged. I started with these recipes: http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipes/30-minute-meals/ I'd prewash all veggies and fruits to keep accessible when you're going to start cooking. Also separate all meats into 2 servings before freezing so you just have to defrost a small packet. Cook with olive oil and Omega 3 margarines to stay healthy and try not to deep fry ANYTHING. Good luck.

I agree with Babetoo, Betty Crockers Basic Cookbook is great for beginner cooks. It's got some wonderful recipes. I bought one for my youngest daughter a couple of years ago and she loves it.

About the simplest meals are braised meats and veggies.

Beef roast, potatoes, carrots, onions in a pot and bake..

If you want to have meats for sandwiches instead of lunchmeat. Roast meat in the oven. I just finished up mine for next week, it's in fridge ready for slicing for my lunches.

Just pick your protein, pork, beef, chicken, turkey... season and roast in the oven. I generally start my roast very hot for a short time then turn the heat down and slow roast. Use a meat thermometer to make sure it is done but not too long.
I let mine set for 1/2 hour then vacuum bag and put in the fridge to finish cooling. It keeps the meat very moist and easily slices for sandwiches.

The easiest way to to pick your menu and be frugal. See what protein is on sale that week, day whatever. Once you pick the protein you can use any cookbook, online search etc. and find something to cook.

Just remember you don't have to be totally faithful to a recipe. You can reduce the recipes to basics.

Get a basics cookbook - Delia Smith has one. There are also some around designed for students that have basic easy budget food recipes. Get to know a selection of basic recipes which will give you the confidence to experiment.

You could always ask your mum if you could cook with her and learn from her.

Try the library for cookbooks you can borrow and see if they suit you before you buy.

Thanks for all the great ideas everyone! I think I have some good ideas to start on a meal for tonight. If anyone else has any other tips please feel free to post I love reading from all of you thanks again such a friendly place here :).

Back
Top Bottom