"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-06-2009, 11:08 AM   #41
Chief Eating Officer

I find that very odd, but if you say it is so then I believe you. Do please see the note above though where I posted that often times the store brand is the exact same thing as the name brand though.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:13 AM   #42
Master Chef

Full agree with you GB. With all due respect Gadzooks, what you're claiming doesn't make any sense whatsoever from a retail marketing viewpoint. Oh - & the Safeway supermarkets here in Virginia definitely do NOT practice what you're claiming Safeway does. In fact, our Safeway maintains one of the most diverse selections of brand-name Asian products among all our local markets. Many of the same brands I used to only be able to purchase from specialty markets. What a shame that your Safeways somehow have a different policy.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:14 AM   #43
Certified Pretend Chef

I see happening what Gadzooks describes on a regular basis. The supermarket I shop at places their store brand product next to the national brands in similar packaging and, over time, reduces the amount of shelf space and variety for the national brands. Consumers get to that isle and look for the national brand but will often take the store brand because they don't want to go to another store for one item. Of course, the store makes more on the store brand than on the national brand, even at a lower price.

Market chains have to turn established national brands for manufacturing/processing/packaging. In some cases the product in the store brand package is the same but in other cases, it is not. There is nothing keeping the national brand from packaging lower grade food products for the store brand. The store will want to keep manufacturing costs as low as possible and the national brand offers 'grade B' in place of 'grade A' for a lower cost and the lure of higher margins seals the deal.

I have experienced this with several items such as store brand frozen veggies vs. Birdseye and now refuse to buy the store brand in most cases. Right now, I do buy the store brand OJ and it's OK by me. That can change in the future, then so will I.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:16 AM   #44
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I see happening what Gadzooks describes on a regular basis. The supermarket I shop at places their store brand product next to the national brands in similar packaging and, over time, reduces the amount of shelf space and variety for the national brands.
Do you see the brand names completely gone though or just less space taken up by them?
Old 01-06-2009, 11:22 AM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Are you telling me that by you they completely replace the name brands with the store brands?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks
Often, yes.
They do so at their own peril....

A small regional retailer here once opened a store that was 99% private label.
It never got off the ground....Closed in 6 months.

Watch Von's/Safeway....If they continue the practice you say they are --- It will be Gadzooks/Safeway....It may work for a while...Long term -- Sales will suffer...profits will fall. Then Von has a decision to make.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:23 AM   #46
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent View Post
Further, a product like Oyster Sauce is not mass produced so is not price sensitive.
This is most certainly an inaccurate statement. Oyster Sauce is a staple of many different Asian cuisines, not only Chinese. The Thai and Vietnamese people consume an Oyster sauce as well which is slightly different as the Chinese in taste, a bit sweeter (slight differences not unlike Chinese Soy vs Tamari vs Shoyu). I would almost be willing to bet that the overall mass production per unit of Oyster Sauce bottles worldwide surpasses the production oh Heinz and Hunt's Ketchup combined!!

These are the two I have in my pantry:

Chinese - Lee Kum Kee (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ster_sauce.jpg)

Thai - Mae Krua Brand (http://www.asiaexpressfood.nl/upload/products/5203.jpg)
Old 01-06-2009, 11:34 AM   #47
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven S View Post

These are the two I have in my pantry:

Chinese - Lee Kum Kee (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ster_sauce.jpg)

Thai - Mae Krua Brand (http://www.asiaexpressfood.nl/upload/products/5203.jpg)
I just looked at the pictures and Lee Kum Kee is the one I have at home as well.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:34 AM   #48
Senior Cook

Up until this point, I can honestly say that I have enjoyed the discussions. This has gotten ridicules and rude. I looked on the link that was included above, and if you pull up the pictures on every one of those in the links it says “OYSTER FLAVORED SAUCE”. It was a real pleasure. I hope you all enjoy the forum.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:40 AM   #49
Chief Eating Officer

I am not sure what you are looking at padams2359, but the link I provided you shows both oyster flavored sauce and oyster sauce, with the majority being oyster sauce.

Here is a photo right in this post to show you exactly what I am seeing. Nowhere on here that I see does the word "flavored" appear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oyster_sauce.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	6596  
Old 01-06-2009, 11:45 AM   #50
Senior Cook

Not all the links above are "Oyster Flavored".

Here is a bit of additional info:

Traditional
A "true" oyster sauce of good quality should be made by condensing oyster extracts, the white broth produced by boiling oysters in water. This opaque broth is then reduced until a desired viscosity has been reached and the liquid has caramelized to a brown color. No other additives, not even salt, should be added to the sauce, since the oysters should provide all the savory flavor.

Modern artificial
Many oyster sauces are actually diluted solutions thickened with starch, colored with caramel coloring (E150), with oyster extracts and synthetic preservatives. In some countries, including the UK, the oyster content in some sauces is lower than its Asian counterparts of the same brand due to laws regulating the import of seafood. The use of synthetics and hydrolyzed soy protein produces carcinogens similar to artificial soy sauces, see Health section below.