"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-03-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Where do I find oyster sauce?

Hello! I was on the ethnic forum last night asking if anyone had a good recipe for Chinese restuarant style Broccoli Chicken, and someone gave me a recipe that looks pretty good. However, it does call for oyster sauce. Is this something that I can buy at a regular grocery store? I usually shop at Walmart because the groceries seem to be the most economical there. Thanks for your input! :)

Old 01-03-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
Master Chef

Yes - WalMart does carry oyster sauce (at least ours does). It'll be in the "Asian Food" section, which is normally in the same aisle with the Mexican food, etc.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:44 AM   #3
Head Chef

Most grocery stores these days have an asian food section, you should be able to find it there. Or go to your cities Chinatown.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:05 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Even my supermarket out here in the boonies has a surprisingly decent Asian food section. I just bought oyster sauce there the other day...
Old 01-05-2009, 09:49 AM   #5
Cook

Yikes! If we all become big box shoppers things like oyster sauce will disappear. Please go to your neighborhood Asian grocer and support them. By the way my rice is far cheaper there than even cosco.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
Senior Cook

I agree with you Chaplain Kent, my local asian grocery

stores are less expensive than even the big box store. They have a better selection also. I can buy fresh vegetables of better quality at a better price than any of the chain grocery stores near me.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:08 AM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent View Post
Yikes! If we all become big box shoppers things like oyster sauce will disappear. Please go to your neighborhood Asian grocer and support them. By the way my rice is far cheaper there than even cosco.
Why do you think it will they disappear? My big box store carries things like that.

Not all of us have local Asian or other ethnic grocers. A large number of us can only shop at the big box stores as that is all there is.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:12 AM   #8
Everymom

You guys have asian grocers? LUCKY!

Anyway, most grocery stores carry oyster sauce, you will be really happy to have it I think. I find it invaluable in stirfries and other dishes.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:51 AM   #9
Master Chef

You're assuming an awful lot Chaplain Kent. As others have already stated, unfortunately, many of us don't have the luxury of a "neighborhood Asian market". The closest one to me is over an hour away & I rarely have the luxury of making that kind of trip to shop. Thus, I am absolutely THRILLED that all of my local supermarkets now carry items like oyster sauce (& hoisin sauce, & fish sauce, & garlic chili paste/sauce, etc., etc.).
In addition, not all "neighborhood Asian markets" are the same. Over the years we've come across several where we couldn't leave fast enough due to things like truly unclean conditions, expired goods, dented cans/opened containers, etc., etc.

And items like oyster sauce aren't going to "disappear" because big box supermarkets are now carrying them. In fact, I predict that just the opposite will happen - more & more different ethnic specialty items will become available to the regular consumer, thus sparking interest & curiosity. Folks who never stepped foot in an Asian grocer before will be more inclined to want to & see what they're missing.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post

And items like oyster sauce aren't going to "disappear" because big box supermarkets are now carrying them. In fact, I predict that just the opposite will happen - more & more different ethnic specialty items will become available to the regular consumer, thus sparking interest & curiosity. Folks who never stepped foot in an Asian grocer before will be more inclined to want to & see what they're missing.
I completely agree with this. As products make their way into more mainstream stores more people are exposed to them and try them. That in turn sparks interest where there once was none.