Where do you store produce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HanArt

Washing Up
The thread on potato and onion storage got me wondering about other produce.

I keep tomatoes, garlic, potatoes (sweet & white ... or shades of), onions, shallots, and bananas at room temp. Same with unripened fruit like pears and peaches ... then into the fridge. Ginger & galangal go into the freezer.

How 'bout you?

Han,

I keep garlic, tomatoes unripened fruit, potatoes,dry onions out, shallots, green onions, ripe fruit, except bananas, avocados in..Tomatoes out:) I know I'm forgetting something here, but, it's been a loooooong day...
kadesma:)

Tomatoes, onions, garlic under my microwave cart. It was too close to the heater so had to move the potatoes into a basket in my pantry (which is very cool and dry). Everything else goes into the fridge, short-term, although when I know I'll be eating some fruits within a day or two and like them at room temp, I'll put them in a basket on the sideboard or counter (some fruit -- apples, oranges, melon -- I prefer really cold. Others -- grapes, pears -- I prefer cool room temp. And they'll all get snacked on by husband if left on the counter where he can grab it on the run. If it's in the fridge, he's just as likely to grab something less healthy).

I generally keep my produce in the same places that my supermarket does. Onions, potatoes, garlic, tomatoes, peppers, fruits, etc. I keep out. Herbs, Lettuces, carrots, roots, leafy greens, etc. I keep in the fridge.

I'm like GB - if the produce section of the store keeps it cool, I do too in the refridgerator. If not, it just goes into a well ventilated "cool and dark" area in my pantry.

i chill green beans, zucchini, cukes, mushrooms, etc., but fruit and tomatoes, lemons, and limes i store in the fruit bowl. if the tomato gets really ripe i chill it.
potatoes, onions, and shallots get stored in a da+rk cupboard, and garlic does, too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom