Where do your cooking ideas come from?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diether

Assistant Cook
The online cooking forum is cool:cool: you get to learn new tips on how to make different dishes and in the same way you can interact with people and meet people from all around the world.I am now interested to find out how do people come up with so many ideas on how to prepare such interesting cooking dishes,and the best part is that I would love to taste all the dishes :yum:.Thanks to all the people on the forum for the creative ideas

The online cooking forum is cool:cool: you get to learn new tips on how to make different dishes and in the same way you can interact with people and meet people from all around the world.I am now interested to find out how do people come up with so many ideas on how to prepare such interesting cooking dishes,and the best part is that I would love to taste all the dishes :yum:.Thanks to all the people on the forum for the creative ideas
I have (ahem!!) 300+ cookery books and belong to a family of good cooks.

It takes time to become familiar with different techniques, ingredients and combinations. I read cookbooks like some people read novels; I like the ones that have information about the culture and history of a place. The most recent one I have is "Hot Sour Salty Sweet: A Culinary Journey Through Southeast Asia."

Also, I've been reading "Cooks Illustrated" magazine for over 10 years. They take a recipe and experiment with different types of ingredients (cuts of meat, combinations of seasonings, etc.) to come up with the "best" version and they explain what worked and what didn't. I love that :)

And I learned a lot of basic techniques from The Food Network. I discovered "30-Minute Meals" while recovering at home for 6 weeks from surgery. I'm well past that now, but I think it's a great show for beginners.

It takes time to become familiar with different techniques, ingredients and combinations. I read cookbooks like some people read novels; I like the ones that have information about the culture and history of a place. The most recent one I have is "Hot Sour Salty Sweet: A Culinary Journey Through Southeast Asia."

Also, I've been reading "Cooks Illustrated" magazine for over 10 years. They take a recipe and experiment with different types of ingredients (cuts of meat, combinations of seasonings, etc.) to come up with the "best" version and they explain what worked and what didn't. I love that :)

And I learned a lot of basic techniques from The Food Network. I discovered "30-Minute Meals" while recovering at home for 6 weeks from surgery. I'm well past that now, but I think it's a great show for beginners.

When RR first started she was vilified for not using correct procedures, wrong combinations of food, etc. But I have a friend that says RR is the one who got her back into the kitchen and made cooking fun for her again. Even her husband got into the act with her. They now cook together in the kitchen. :angel:

I read cookbooks like some people read novels; I like the ones that have information about the culture and history of a place. .
I have a collection beside my bed for when I have an early night or I can't sleep! Like you I like a bit of background with my recipe. That's one of the reasons I like Jane Grigson's books.

I am interested in classic and authentic recipes/dishes. When I decide what I want to eat, I source out the ingredients as best as I can to try and recreate the dish as it was originally prepared. Through this journey, I learn a lot about the place where it originated, variations of the recipes throughout the regions, cooking techniques and cookware used, etc. This requires a lot of sourcing out stores, specialty and ethnic grocers where I come across even more discoveries such as imported food products from all over the world. There, I will pick up a few other things and go home and figure out how to use it at a later date, which will require more research.

...I prefer to make everything from scratch, if I have the time and ingredients on hand. This adds additional cooking procedures such as stock making, sauces, pasta noodles, just to name a few..I want to come up with something that is totally home made food with no additives. (not so much for my health reasons, but more for flavor authenticity).

Last edited:
I like making up new recipes. I get many of my best ideas from other DCers. Someone will mention something in passing, and all of a sudden I've got a new idea to try out.

For the most part, I tend to like simple preparations. I own very few cookbooks, and probably haven't opened any of them in over a year. My inspiration comes from the ingredients. I don't plan far ahead, but rather go the farm market or co-op and see what looks good. That's usually what's for dinner.

I also make my own wine, and a lot of condiments from scratch including mustard, hot sauces, ketchup, pickles, chutneys, etc.

Last edited:
For me it is what is on sale when I go shopping. Or if I have the ingredients on hand I will often deviate from what someone else made. But it starts with them. :angel:

For me it is what is on sale when I go shopping. Or if I have the ingredients on hand I will often deviate from what someone else made. But it starts with them. :angel:
I also work with what I have on hand and what is on special. I do not go shopping with a list of things for a dish I want to make--instead I go shopping with a list of things on special and then go from there.

I have over 1000 cookbooks. I read them for inspiration and techniques. I like playing in the kitchen. It is a creative outlet for me.

The thing I like about The Food Network is every cooking show has it's own theme. Giada has Italian, Rachel has Quick Meals, Sandra has cooking with partially prepared foods....my husband cracks up at her color coordination. LOL I primarily watch the ones that make things that I would make for my family. Other that get too involved in fancy stuff aren't for me. There used to be a show on Sunday morning called "How To Boil Water." It was really good for beginners as it showed step by step how to prepare a meal in great detail, explaining the techniques as they went along. It is no longer on in our area. They should have realized that I'm not finished learning yet!

There used to be a show on Sunday morning called "How To Boil Water." It was really good for beginners as it showed step by step how to prepare a meal in great detail, explaining the techniques as they went along. It is no longer on in our area. They should have realized that I'm not finished learning yet!

A lot of those episodes are available online: http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/d...N=4294959890&fnSearchString=how to boil water

"Five-Ingredient Fix" is another good one for beginners.

I enjoy exploring the food of other cultures and especially new ingredients. I generally stick with recipes from available sources until I feel comfortable enough with the ingredients and techniques. Then I experiment. I really like to take TNT recipes and see if different ingredients can be substituted to create similar dishes. We made "cabbage rolls" using collard greens and dirty rice with creole sauce instead of the "traditional" European versions. It turned out well.

Back
Top Bottom