"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-30-2013, 05:22 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Where do your cooking ideas come from?

The online cooking forum is cool you get to learn new tips on how to make different dishes and in the same way you can interact with people and meet people from all around the world.I am now interested to find out how do people come up with so many ideas on how to prepare such interesting cooking dishes,and the best part is that I would love to taste all the dishes .Thanks to all the people on the forum for the creative ideas

Old 09-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diether View Post
The online cooking forum is cool you get to learn new tips on how to make different dishes and in the same way you can interact with people and meet people from all around the world.I am now interested to find out how do people come up with so many ideas on how to prepare such interesting cooking dishes,and the best part is that I would love to taste all the dishes .Thanks to all the people on the forum for the creative ideas
I have (ahem!!) 300+ cookery books and belong to a family of good cooks.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Cookbooks, this forum, TV food shows, friends and family.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

It takes time to become familiar with different techniques, ingredients and combinations. I read cookbooks like some people read novels; I like the ones that have information about the culture and history of a place. The most recent one I have is "Hot Sour Salty Sweet: A Culinary Journey Through Southeast Asia."

Also, I've been reading "Cooks Illustrated" magazine for over 10 years. They take a recipe and experiment with different types of ingredients (cuts of meat, combinations of seasonings, etc.) to come up with the "best" version and they explain what worked and what didn't. I love that

And I learned a lot of basic techniques from The Food Network. I discovered "30-Minute Meals" while recovering at home for 6 weeks from surgery. I'm well past that now, but I think it's a great show for beginners.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It takes time to become familiar with different techniques, ingredients and combinations. I read cookbooks like some people read novels; I like the ones that have information about the culture and history of a place. The most recent one I have is "Hot Sour Salty Sweet: A Culinary Journey Through Southeast Asia."

Also, I've been reading "Cooks Illustrated" magazine for over 10 years. They take a recipe and experiment with different types of ingredients (cuts of meat, combinations of seasonings, etc.) to come up with the "best" version and they explain what worked and what didn't. I love that

And I learned a lot of basic techniques from The Food Network. I discovered "30-Minute Meals" while recovering at home for 6 weeks from surgery. I'm well past that now, but I think it's a great show for beginners.
When RR first started she was vilified for not using correct procedures, wrong combinations of food, etc. But I have a friend that says RR is the one who got her back into the kitchen and made cooking fun for her again. Even her husband got into the act with her. They now cook together in the kitchen.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I read cookbooks like some people read novels; I like the ones that have information about the culture and history of a place. .
I have a collection beside my bed for when I have an early night or I can't sleep! Like you I like a bit of background with my recipe. That's one of the reasons I like Jane Grigson's books.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I am interested in classic and authentic recipes/dishes. When I decide what I want to eat, I source out the ingredients as best as I can to try and recreate the dish as it was originally prepared. Through this journey, I learn a lot about the place where it originated, variations of the recipes throughout the regions, cooking techniques and cookware used, etc. This requires a lot of sourcing out stores, specialty and ethnic grocers where I come across even more discoveries such as imported food products from all over the world. There, I will pick up a few other things and go home and figure out how to use it at a later date, which will require more research.

...I prefer to make everything from scratch, if I have the time and ingredients on hand. This adds additional cooking procedures such as stock making, sauces, pasta noodles, just to name a few..I want to come up with something that is totally home made food with no additives. (not so much for my health reasons, but more for flavor authenticity).
Old 09-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I like making up new recipes. I get many of my best ideas from other DCers. Someone will mention something in passing, and all of a sudden I've got a new idea to try out.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:51 AM   #9
Wine Guy

For the most part, I tend to like simple preparations. I own very few cookbooks, and probably haven't opened any of them in over a year. My inspiration comes from the ingredients. I don't plan far ahead, but rather go the farm market or co-op and see what looks good. That's usually what's for dinner.

I also make my own wine, and a lot of condiments from scratch including mustard, hot sauces, ketchup, pickles, chutneys, etc.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:06 AM   #10
Proud American

My ideas of food come from when I become hungry! Then I learn.

Your friend,
~Cat