"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-24-2011, 02:42 PM   #31
Wine Guy

Keep in mind your local store may not have it at all since it's not in season. Our local store often stocks fresh cider in the produce section. Other places I've seen it next to the refrigerated breakfast juices.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:36 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Also available on tap
That's Karens favorite brand. The local stores seem to have stopped carrying it. On Tap? Where?

Craig

Old 05-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
That's Karens favorite brand. The local stores seem to have stopped carrying it. On Tap? Where?

Craig
Mostly in Great Britain. I had it at the Glen Cove Mansion Hotel, in New York.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:01 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

BT, you might find a cider press at an antique store. Or inquire at a farmers market or orchard that sells cider. The one my friend owns def has some age on it, but is kept clean. Works well if you have a lot of apples, but boy, were my arms tired after all that cranking and pressing! Delicious results however.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:53 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks dawg. i'll have to ask tbe folks at the orchard when we go there this summer.
how big is your friend's press? is it wooden or metal? i'd imagine it has to be larger and more sturdy than a grape press.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:58 PM   #36
Head Chef

As others have mentioned I would say it's just not in season if you can't find it. Apple cider is hard to come by around here and the big grocery stores only get it in once a year. You can buy it at the small farmers markets but that's about it.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:03 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
thanks dawg. i'll have to ask tbe folks at the orchard when we go there this summer.
how big is your friend's press? is it wooden or metal? i'd imagine it has to be larger and more sturdy than a grape press.
This was a couple years ago. The barrel was wood, the works were cast iron and metal. It wasn't really big as I remember, maybe about 4 feet tall. She had a big barrel of water where we washed the apples and fed them into the hopper. No other prep needed. I had considered getting one myself, but since there is one readily available a short distance away, why not use it?

Didn't do it last year as a storm wiped out my tree. Enough apples to make some sauce and dehydrate. This year, not a single blossom on my tree.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:37 AM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
The ultimate 'cider'
Bill mate I have not allowed myself neat spirits for about 30 yrs, Calvados for me creates a train wreck. I do cook with it a lot.
The cuisine from Normandy and Brittany are favorites of mine.
Have you tried Magners Irish cider or Stella Artois Cidre both are spot on.
Pear Cider is also very good.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:16 AM   #39
Executive Chef

The following excerpt from Ritter-Sport pretty much describes the characteristics of the Williams Christ brandy that I enjoy but is relatively unavailable in the states.

The Englishman, Richard Williams, presented this fine pear for the first time to the Royal Horticultural Society in 1816. A teacher by profession, he was also interested in growing pears. The oldest evidence of the Williams Christ pear goes back to England in 1770. However, it was Richard Williams who made it popular, which is why it carries his name.
The Williams Christ pear finally made its way to France in 1828. It then travelled across the whole of Europe. The easily perishable pear flourishes well under favourable climatic conditions, such as in the Swiss canton of Valais, South Tyrol. It also grows well in the warmer valley regions of Austria, as well as in the Black Forest in Germany, in Kaiserstuhl, and at Lake Constance.
Making classic Williams Christ pear brandy involves mashing and fermenting ripe, undamaged pears. The alcohol and flavourings are then distilled as Williams pear brandy. The brandy develops its full, rounded flavour during many following months of storage.
Making Williams pear brandy requires expertise and a lot of knowledge. This is needed to perfectly utilise the relatively small sugar content (important for the alcohol level), as well as the sensitive, volatile flavourings of the pears. Only if this is successfully done, does the pear brandy develop its typical taste. The brandy’s unusual flavour makes itself apparent before it is even tasted. As it is poured into a glass its delicious pear aroma unfolds outwards.
You can also enjoy aromatic Williams Christ pear brandy by letting a piece of RITTER SPORT winter variety “Williams Pear Truffles” melt on your tongue.
Alcohol
Our latest varieties:
Fine Extra Dark Chocolate A fine choice for cocoa beans.
Alpine Milk Chocolate A real taste summit.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:50 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Bill mate I have not allowed myself neat spirits for about 30 yrs, Calvados for me creates a train wreck. I do cook with it a lot.
The cuisine from Normandy and Brittany are favorites of mine.
Have you tried Magners Irish cider or Stella Artois Cidre both are spot on.
Pear Cider is also very good.
I've never had Magners nor the new Artois. So far I've largely confined my purchase of Belgian products to firearms and cooking vessels. I'm not a particular fan of InBev and would not be surprised if they become instrumental in the demise of '...tor' style (wife-beater?) beer.

Tags
in