Where is apple cider in the market?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cornwall and Devon are the trad area's for alcoholic cider in the UK, the French also have a history of very good cider.
There is also a product made in those area's called Scrumpy or Screech, this is rough home made cloudy cider with a kick like a mule, it can be used to make a cocktail called a snake bite, this is half a pint of Guinness added to half a pint of Scrumpy. This would be the trad drink with a pasty or ploughman's lunch.
Cider making is not easy and quite dangerous as the fermentation is difficult to control naturally.
I had a apple juicer to make sterilised juice that you must be able to buy in the US, it is a drum made of three parts, you put water in the bottom, rough chopped apples in the middle, the top fits on then you bring the water to a boil the steam rises through the chopped apples condensed and very tasty pure apple juice that is crystal clear drips out.Google Mehu Liisa steam juicer:)

Last edited:
thanks bolas.
andy, the apples resemble macintoshes, but i'm not 100% certain that's what they are. my mil planted the tree over 60 years ago.

Also available on tap

Attachments

• Woodpecker-Hard-Cider_6D5D9AD1.jpg
    Woodpecker-Hard-Cider_6D5D9AD1.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 93
You don't say where you live. Around here, it would be refridgerated with the produce, as mentioned, but might not be available year 'round. It is definitely an autumn product.

Oh, hard cider and calvados? Oh, yummy, available year 'round. One time I had a halloween party, and bought gallons of cider to make into a hot, mulled, and yes, alcoholic beverage. I had one gallon left over (unopened and not alcoholic at the time) and put it on the veranda (we lived in Virginia) to keep. It fermented, and I did catch it before it exploded!

Bolas De Fraile said:
Cornwall and Devon are the trad area's for alcoholic cider in the UK, the French also have a history of very good cider.
There is also a product made in those area's called Scrumpy or Screech, this is rough home made cloudy cider with a kick like a mule, it can be used to make a cocktail called a snake bite, this is half a pint of Guinness added to half a pint of Scrumpy. This would be the trad drink with a pasty or ploughman's lunch.
Cider making is not easy and quite dangerous as the fermentation is difficult to control naturally.
I had a apple juicer to make sterilised juice that you must be able to buy in the US, it is a drum made of three parts, you put water in the bottom, rough chopped apples in the middle, the top fits on then you bring the water to a boil the steam rises through the chopped apples condensed and very tasty pure apple juice that is crystal clear drips out.Google Mehu Liisa steam juicer:)

I live in the uk and am very proud of some of our own local produce, (considering we don't have alot)! I am impressed with your knowledge!
We are lucky to have fresh cider available all year round, and in my local bar we have local cider on tap. It certainly does kick like a mule though!
Stay away from scrumpy jack, I've had plenty of good nights on that but the next day you will suffer for it!
:)

Sadie I'm a scouser, I live in the north west so I should have knowledge of our products. Do you know why Thatchers scrumpy is called screeeeeeeech by the locals of Weston Supermare:cool:
Ps I now live in taff land.

Keep in mind your local store may not have it at all since it's not in season. Our local store often stocks fresh cider in the produce section. Other places I've seen it next to the refrigerated breakfast juices.

BT, you might find a cider press at an antique store. Or inquire at a farmers market or orchard that sells cider. The one my friend owns def has some age on it, but is kept clean. Works well if you have a lot of apples, but boy, were my arms tired after all that cranking and pressing! Delicious results however.

thanks dawg. i'll have to ask tbe folks at the orchard when we go there this summer.
how big is your friend's press? is it wooden or metal? i'd imagine it has to be larger and more sturdy than a grape press.

As others have mentioned I would say it's just not in season if you can't find it. Apple cider is hard to come by around here and the big grocery stores only get it in once a year. You can buy it at the small farmers markets but that's about it.

buckytom said:
thanks dawg. i'll have to ask tbe folks at the orchard when we go there this summer.
how big is your friend's press? is it wooden or metal? i'd imagine it has to be larger and more sturdy than a grape press.

This was a couple years ago. The barrel was wood, the works were cast iron and metal. It wasn't really big as I remember, maybe about 4 feet tall. She had a big barrel of water where we washed the apples and fed them into the hopper. No other prep needed. I had considered getting one myself, but since there is one readily available a short distance away, why not use it?

Didn't do it last year as a storm wiped out my tree. Enough apples to make some sauce and dehydrate. This year, not a single blossom on my tree.

Last edited:
The ultimate 'cider'
Bill mate I have not allowed myself neat spirits for about 30 yrs, Calvados for me creates a train wreck. I do cook with it a lot.
The cuisine from Normandy and Brittany are favorites of mine.
Have you tried Magners Irish cider or Stella Artois Cidre both are spot on.
Pear Cider is also very good.

The following excerpt from Ritter-Sport pretty much describes the characteristics of the Williams Christ brandy that I enjoy but is relatively unavailable in the states.

williamsbirnenbrand_artikel.jpg

The Englishman, Richard Williams, presented this fine pear for the first time to the Royal Horticultural Society in 1816. A teacher by profession, he was also interested in growing pears. The oldest evidence of the Williams Christ pear goes back to England in 1770. However, it was Richard Williams who made it popular, which is why it carries his name.
The Williams Christ pear finally made its way to France in 1828. It then travelled across the whole of Europe. The easily perishable pear flourishes well under favourable climatic conditions, such as in the Swiss canton of Valais, South Tyrol. It also grows well in the warmer valley regions of Austria, as well as in the Black Forest in Germany, in Kaiserstuhl, and at Lake Constance.
Making classic Williams Christ pear brandy involves mashing and fermenting ripe, undamaged pears. The alcohol and flavourings are then distilled as Williams pear brandy. The brandy develops its full, rounded flavour during many following months of storage.
Making Williams pear brandy requires expertise and a lot of knowledge. This is needed to perfectly utilise the relatively small sugar content (important for the alcohol level), as well as the sensitive, volatile flavourings of the pears. Only if this is successfully done, does the pear brandy develop its typical taste. The brandy’s unusual flavour makes itself apparent before it is even tasted. As it is poured into a glass its delicious pear aroma unfolds outwards.
You can also enjoy aromatic Williams Christ pear brandy by letting a piece of RITTER SPORT winter variety “Williams Pear Truffles” melt on your tongue.
Alcohol
Our latest varieties:
Fine Extra Dark Chocolate A fine choice for cocoa beans.
Alpine Milk Chocolate A real taste summit.

Bill mate I have not allowed myself neat spirits for about 30 yrs, Calvados for me creates a train wreck. I do cook with it a lot.
The cuisine from Normandy and Brittany are favorites of mine.
Have you tried Magners Irish cider or Stella Artois Cidre both are spot on.
Pear Cider is also very good.
I've never had Magners nor the new Artois. So far I've largely confined my purchase of Belgian products to firearms and cooking vessels. I'm not a particular fan of InBev and would not be surprised if they become instrumental in the demise of '...tor' style (wife-beater?) beer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom