"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Where to start - culinary arts classes

I am currently taking classes at Bunker Hill Community College for my Associates in Culinary Arts and was wondering if anyone here could give me some guidance on what type of restaurant would be a good place for someone like me to start with very limited experince outside of cooking at home. I have worked food service at a college dining hall but that is very different than scratch cooking. If anyone has any input I would appreciate it.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

If there is a particular ethnic type of food that you are interested, then I suggest that you apply at one of those restaurants. And as you know that there are plenty of restaurants. I would suggest you start looking in Cambridge. It has a very multi-international clientele for the restaurant industry. Let the owner know that you are in culinary school and am looking to enhance your education by working in the industry. And that work in the dining hall is part of your education. Don't down play it.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
Master Chef

Most of us here are home cooks.

I'd suggest asking your instructors or following this:

BHCC has a Career Center as well as the Hospitality department ready to assist you in writing a resume, interviewing skills, and obtaining an internship. At graduation, they will also assist students with job placement if necessary. The Career Center is located on the Charlestown Campus, Room M10. Hours are Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. For more information call 617-228-2245.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
Head Chef

Food Prep in Hotels
Old 06-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
Food Prep in Hotels
I strongly agree with this. Hotels provide a large range of services which require many employees with all different levels of skills. You can get in on the ground floor with simple prep as a kitchen helper and you will be exposed to techniques and procedures that will help form a foundation for your career. I did a stint with a hotel chain back in the 80's where I gained knowledge and worked with chefs that taught me things that I still practice today.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
Master Chef

How about a cruise ship?

Cruise Ship Jobs. Cruise Ship Employment Guide. Information about cruise ship jobs.

I would also look into becoming a private chef for a wealthy family, rich people gotta eat too!
Old 06-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #7
Senior Cook

My Culinary School experience helped me get a part time job, as a weekend cook at a group home,while I completed school. I trained with the ''Lead Cook'' for a couple of weekends and got my foot in the door. Later after getting out of school I worked a while full time as the '' Lead cook''.The next ''Part time cook'' and I served Three meals a day, Seven days a week. I made very little money but got an enormous amount of knowledge. With this experience I got a position as a ''Pantry Chef'' in a fine dining restaurant in a country club. I worked here for a wile and climbed the brigade ladder. I eventually moved to another place for a'' Sous Chef'' position. It took time and a lot of patience and I worked very long hours. I eventually became a ''Chef'' in the type of place I wanted to work. Hope this might help . Best Wishes and good luck! mysterychef
Old 06-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterychef View Post
My Culinary School experience helped me get a part time job, as a weekend cook at a group home,while I completed school. I trained with the ''Lead Cook'' for a couple of weekends and got my foot in the door. Later after getting out of school I worked a while full time as the '' Lead cook''.The next ''Part time cook'' and I served Three meals a day, Seven days a week. I made very little money but got an enormous amount of knowledge. With this experience I got a position as a ''Pantry Chef'' in a fine dining restaurant in a country club. I worked here for a wile and climbed the brigade ladder. I eventually moved to another place for a'' Sous Chef'' position. It took time and a lot of patience and I worked very long hours. I eventually became a ''Chef'' in the type of place I wanted to work. Hope this might help . Best Wishes and good luck! mysterychef

Thanks for giving our newbie encouragement. He is just starting out on his journey into the world of food.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:48 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
How about a cruise ship?

Cruise Ship Jobs. Cruise Ship Employment Guide. Information about cruise ship jobs.

I would also look into becoming a private chef for a wealthy family, rich people gotta eat too!
I think that would be fabulous
Old 06-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
How about a cruise ship?

I hate to dampen this idea. It is a great one. But remember he is still in school and wants to work during his time when he is not. How can he attend school if he is out to sea?