"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 09-15-2005, 11:43 AM   #1
Senior Cook
Which brand is the very best microwave popcorn?

Let's see how many people will tell me which brand of microwave popcorn they think is the very best! (And why?)With great (true) butter flavor and salt and taste.

I'm not interested in the weight loss kind or other such. And or other methods.

Just great movie popcorn out of the micro wave at home, that one can buy at the supermarket.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	70834576261.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	438  

pckouris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 01:19 PM   #2
Head Chef
I have bought microwave popcorn from the cheapest (dollar store) brand to the most expensive (orval ridenbocker) and I haven't seen or tasted anything different about any of them.

"Experience is the name everyone gives to his mistakes."

tweedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 01:28 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Sorry Pete, we don't eat popcorn around here...
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 03:12 PM   #4
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I never cared for microwavable popcorns, the ones I had were always way too salty!! We have a popcorn maker you just pour a handful of kernels and it pumps out a bowlful of hot popcorns just as quickly as the nukable version!! We love this gadget!
urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 01:45 PM   #5
Assistant Cook
I just buy a good organic popcorn, put it in a paper bag, moisten the bag under cold running water, and nuke. Be careful not overcook or it will burn.
simpleisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 09:04 AM   #6
Executive Chef
I like Paul Newman - er, the popcorn, that is!
marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 04:49 PM   #7
Master Chef
I like the Act III popcorn, regular style. My husband loves the Orvil Redenbacher cheese flavor...it has a packet of goo to squeeze over the top.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 05:46 AM   #8
Assistant Cook
After much experimenting with microwave popcorn I decided I liked Orville Redenbacher's Lite best, but it was still too salty for my taste, so I went back to the old method.
Edo, ergo sum
CrémeBrulée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 08:22 PM   #9
Master Chef
America's Test Kitchen just did this in their "Tasting Corner" segment last Saturday (at least it just aired where I live) Tasting Microwave Popcorn. For those who don't care to read the results ... Paul Newman's Own (the original stuff) came in as the top "microwave" popcorn ... his "organic" version came in down at the bottom.

Personally - I like the Act III ...
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:42 AM   #10
Senior Cook
Well, thanks everyone. I am still testing. And thanks Robert in Fort Worth for that site. I went to it and saved for later reading.
But you guys know what? I live in Marathon, Florida, The Florida Keys! And Wilma ran through here real good! Last night we had a power loss. I have hurricane lamps etc. and had them ready for use.
But my dilema was how was I going to make my microwave popcorn to pass away the night! I broke out my popcorn pot (with a nice thick bottom) put a little oil in in and heated it up on my gas range top. I used microwave popcorn Publix Theater Butter. I cut open the bag and with a spatula scrapped out all of the popcorn and "butter" or what ever tht stuff is, out and into the pot. Covered it and let it go with a good shake along the way.
Well what a terrific suprise!!! All of corn popped! All of the corn was huge! And it tasted better than anything I had ever had before!!! When I want popcorn I am going to do it this way again just to make sure to see if comes out this good again.
You adventurists might want to try this little "test" to see how you come out with it. If any of you do let me know! It was sure worth it because I wouldn't have had my fix of popcorn at all!

pckouris is offline   Reply With Quote