Which country has the best food, in your opinion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
About curries stinking: I suppose they do, but in the best way possible. A bit like some cheese I bought one weekend, and was embarassed by it on the train on my way home, because it smelled like a person who could do with a wash. People kept glancing towards me, and I had to keep explaning that it is the cheese. It was delicious.

About curries stinking: I suppose they do, but in the best way possible. A bit like some cheese I bought one weekend, and was embarassed by it on the train on my way home, because it smelled like a person who could do with a wash. People kept glancing towards me, and I had to keep explaning that it is the cheese. It was delicious.

guess the stink is in the nose of the smeller

Andy; I find yet again that I agree with you 100%. If I had to choose the best meal I ever ate, I couldn't do it. I have had standout meals in the Phillipines, all over America, in Canada, and have sampled cuisine from Australia, South Korea, Japan, Hawaii, etc. (that's one good thing about being in the Navy, if you take the opportunity to get away from the bars and your shipmates (except for a few really close buddies of course), then you get to experience so many good things from so many great places. And of course, as has been said, you don't have to travel very far in the U.S. to try new and exciting cuisines from diverse places. There truly is no "best", as there are cooks everywhere that can turn local ingredients, often times ingredients that can't be found anywhere else, into amazing dishes.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Definitely hard question to answer. Lots of specialties from different parts of the world. But I personally love American, Japanese and Philippine foods.

Definitely hard question to answer. Lots of specialties from different parts of the world. But I personally love American, Japanese and Philippine foods.

Previously I would have said "I love Philippine food" across the board, but there's a Filipino restaurant near my house -- where Filipinos eat regularly -- that for my palate, serves inedible food. And I've tried it on more than one occasion. I've since come to the conclusion that what i DO love is good Filipino home cooking. That was what I was accustomed to. Same thing for Ethiopian food. I love the home cooking I've been served, the restaurant fare, not so much.

I gotta go with the good old USA, anything you want you can get... Especially in New York City, there is pretty much every food you can think of... God I miss my old stomping ground... :angel:

Previously I would have said "I love Philippine food" across the board, but there's a Filipino restaurant near my house -- where Filipinos eat regularly -- that for my palate, serves inedible food. And I've tried it on more than one occasion. I've since come to the conclusion that what i DO love is good Filipino home cooking. That was what I was accustomed to. Same thing for Ethiopian food. I love the home cooking I've been served, the restaurant fare, not so much.

Ooppss sorry... I mean yes, Filipino foods... specially Filipino home cooked dishes. So what exact Filipino recipe do you like? My favorites are Pork or Liver Adobo, Kare-Kare, Diniguan (pork blood stew) and many other home made dishes. :cool:

Hard question. From my own personal experiences, I would have to answer Germany. I lived there for some time and I crave everything I ate there all the time. Greece would be another top of the list country.

This is very hard to say. I hate picking favorite anything bc I like so much :). I really love Indian, Middle Eastern, Italian, American. I guess Indian, lol. Its so good and I cook it a lot.

to me indian food is all the same ingredients arranged differently on a plate....too much curry, lamb, cucumber sauce and rice. i like it, don't get me wrong but its one of those kinds of foods that i can only go out to eat about twice a year. i wouldn't want to have to eat it every day. my fav would be Thai food.....

Although the US is a great melting pot of cuisines, I personally cannot stand the form of the modern American cuisine. Vast majority of the food is sandwich based. Why can't we have some fast-food type establishments where I can go in with a plate, grab some mashed potatoes, green beans, some roasted pork chop, bowl of soup, etc...? Granted, there are sit-down restaurants and all-you-can-eat buffets, but these are beyond the point. I just want something quick and healthy which won't take half an hour to prepare, and where I don't have to feel like i need to stuff myself to make the meal a good value.

you can....go to Boston Market..... they have all that kind of fast food. i agree though...to many sandwich type places. and most are just plain bad for you. i prefer chinese food joints for fast food...... they can close every mcdonalds and subway across the nation and it wouldn't bother me!!

to me indian food is all the same ingredients arranged differently on a plate....too much curry, lamb, cucumber sauce and rice. i like it, don't get me wrong but its one of those kinds of foods that i can only go out to eat about twice a year. i wouldn't want to have to eat it every day. my fav would be Thai food.....

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if you feel that way about Indian food, you have never had REAL Indian food. Much of what is sold as Indian food in US bears little resemblance to what one would eat either in India or in an Indian-American home kitchen.

I haven't been to India, but I have eaten ethereal Indian food, mainly in home kitchens, but also in a few authentic restaurants. Each dish tastes different from the last, and the flavors are, to my palate, incredible. Just adding "curry powder" (which btw, is British, not Indian! :ohmy:) does not make food "Indian."

Although the US is a great melting pot of cuisines, I personally cannot stand the form of the modern American cuisine. Vast majority of the food is sandwich based. Why can't we have some fast-food type establishments where I can go in with a plate, grab some mashed potatoes, green beans, some roasted pork chop, bowl of soup, etc...? Granted, there are sit-down restaurants and all-you-can-eat buffets, but these are beyond the point. I just want something quick and healthy which won't take half an hour to prepare, and where I don't have to feel like i need to stuff myself to make the meal a good value.

I don't understand this post. True American food isn't found in Burger King, or McDonalds. It's found in the middle-class dining rooms where real mothers, fathers, and single adults prepare food for themselves and the people they love. Real American food includes maple syrup, baked beans, corn on the cob, a host of slaws and salads, fresh fruits of a staggering variety, Great Lakes freshly caught fish, rabbit, venison, New England Boiled Dinner, New England Clam Chowder, Corn Chowder, Corn Soup, Pasties from Michigan's U.P., Roasted turkey with all the trimings, pawpaw, chili, home made mac & cheese, , Colby cheese, Pinconing cheese, and a host of other great foods cooked in a million U.S. homes ever day. There are foods indigenous to the U.S. that can't be found anywhere else. There are dishes that were invented here, such as chop suey, cudighe sausage, key-lime pie, sweet potatoes with pecans, etc.

Please don't define American Food as the swill sold by fast-food restaurants. That's American Commercial Food; and it's not what's eaten in my house.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I love trying new cuisines but my absolute favourite has to be Chinese. I love the variety - rice and noodle dishes, spicy marinades and curries, seafood dishes and duck pancakes! Making me hungry already.

Hmmm... Definitely hard to chose one absolute favourite. I love the ingenious use of ingredients in Greek and Turkish dishes, and any food that's well prepared really. That said, I love the variety we have in South Africa. Not saying it's better than anywhere else, just that if I had to be somewhere where I couldn't have my favourite S.A. dishes, I would die! :)

I agree with Goodweed. American cooking is more than fast food restaurants. Think of the deep South where you get Pecan Pie, Southern Fried Chicken, Buttermilk Biscuits, and Okra. Then in the mountains you have good old mountain cooking like Chicken and Dumplings, brown beans and cornbread. Out West there are a variety of stews to be found.

And we also have contributions from our immigrants as well. In Creole cooking we find jambalaya, dirty rice and a variety of soups. The Germans have given us Apple Strudel and the Irish have given us potato cakes. Even our own Native Americans have given us some dishes with corn and various root vegetables.

It is in my opinion not only the tradtional dishes that came with the first settlers that have endured over time and help to define American cuisine but, also those of the many immigrants that chose to settle here over the centuries. All American's have a blending of cultures in their families and with this blending comes the many dishes that have survived over the ages. If it wasn't for the German and Cherokee blending of my family I wouldn't have dishes like Sauerkraut, fry bread or Apple Strudel to pass along to my kids. And with my husband bringing Irish into the family I have a whole new set of dishes to learn.

So we need to stop and consider what truly makes American cuisine before we mention McDonalds, Burger King or Wendy's as our examples.

I love Italian, because we get to stay there once or twice a year & eat the real Italian food. Greek, because our friends from Corfu insist they cook when we visit (they live here now) British, yes we do have some great dishes here too. (Steak & Kidney Pie) American, because there's such a vast array to choose from. Indian, because it's so totally different & full of spices, my son's friend is a chef & Thai is his speciality,& French because all my French students that have stayed with us over the years all brought something different to our kitchen, even if it was baked tomatoes!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom