"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-30-2010, 10:34 AM   #31
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I don't know, because I haven't been to them all. But I am always happy to eat in France.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:46 AM   #32
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubos View Post
Although the US is a great melting pot of cuisines, I personally cannot stand the form of the modern American cuisine. Vast majority of the food is sandwich based. Why can't we have some fast-food type establishments where I can go in with a plate, grab some mashed potatoes, green beans, some roasted pork chop, bowl of soup, etc...?...
I agree that the vast majority of FAST food in the USA is sandwiched based. That's what makes it fast. It would be difficult to make a meal of "mashed potatoes, green beans, some roasted pork chop, bowl of soup, etc" into a fast food meal, wouldn't it? Would you try to eat that in your car? ...while driving? Fast food is one segment of American cuisine.

If, on the other hand, you are saying most American cuisine is sandwiched based, (this is what your opening statement seems to say) you are simply incorrect. The many regional American specialties that make up American cuisine are a collection of comfort foods that reflect the composition and history of the regions they represent.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:27 PM   #33
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubos View Post
Although the US is a great melting pot of cuisines, I personally cannot stand the form of the modern American cuisine. Vast majority of the food is sandwich based. Why can't we have some fast-food type establishments where I can go in with a plate, grab some mashed potatoes, green beans, some roasted pork chop, bowl of soup, etc...? Granted, there are sit-down restaurants and all-you-can-eat buffets, but these are beyond the point. I just want something quick and healthy which won't take half an hour to prepare, and where I don't have to feel like i need to stuff myself to make the meal a good value.
You can.. its called Boston Market.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:31 AM   #34
Master Chef

Andy, you need to move to Hawaii. It was (it's been 20 years) called plate lunch, and you walk up to a stand and get it all: one or two scoops rice, scoop macaroni salad, and meat or veg dishes. Bulgogi or Kal bi, stir-fries, chow mein (the real meaning of the dish). Manapua. All served on a heavy-duty paper plate with chop sticks or plastic forks.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:10 AM   #35
Head Chef

I think the better question which country is your least. There are to many that have great food. My least is India. I have tried several time, but the smell of the food I can't get passed. A friend told me it is most likely the Curry smell that bothers me.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:33 PM   #36
Master Chef

french cuisine.
japanese cuisine is a close one.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #37
Cook

Send a message via AIM to CookNow
Yeah, I'm all for French cuisine, if I had to pick a favorite. Closely followed by Moroccan.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:41 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
I think the better question which country is your least. There are to many that have great food. My least is India. I have tried several time, but the smell of the food I can't get passed. A friend told me it is most likely the Curry smell that bothers me.
finally someone else that thinks curry stinks and tastes even worse.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:15 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

for me, this question is like "in which country would you like to breathe."

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #40
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
This is not an answerable question for me. Choosing one eliminates all the others.
True! Now I am starting to think about all the food I love from other countries besides India.

I love Thai coconut curries.

But, I have to say that I find more food that I love when I am in India, than I have found in any other country I have been in. And, I have been in around 40 countries. Though, there is at least something to be found in most/all countries that I love to eat.